cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail

N/A

Webmail

I appologise in advance if this subject has been raised before, i've had a good look round and cant seem to find it if it has.

I am trying to access my webmail at work, it works fine at home but when i log on at work it only shows 'new unread messages' and not messages I have 'already read'.

Is this how it is or am i missing somthing?

Ta

javascript:emoticon(':?:')
11 REPLIES
Jon
Grafter

Webmail

Hi there,

The webmail should show all messages it has stored for you on our server. This is regardless of whether they have been read or not.
If you download the messages using a client such as Outlook or Outlook Express then these messages would no longer be displayed as they have been downloaded.
Please let us know if this is the case.

Kind Regards,
N/A

Webmail

I use Entourage at home. I couldnt tell you if it downloads the messages, i guess it probably does as i have just sent myself a message. The thing that confuses me though is why when i log on at home later will i be able to see the message i have just sent myself ie. if its downloaded (at work) how can it be redownloaded (at home)? but not vise-versa.

Thanks anyway.
Jon
Grafter

Webmail

Hi there,

That is indeed confusing.
Do you use a different browser at work to the one which you use at home?
Also try clearing your Temporary Internet files in both locations. Do the same with all Cookies.

Regards,
N/A

Webmail

Apologies if I've misunderstood this. I think the problem is that your home client (Entourage) is downloading and then deleting the emails from the server. This means that if you then login to webmail, the emails are no longer there. Whereas if you're reading these emails using webmail they are not downloaded or deleted from the server (as webmail just views emails on the server, rather than downloading them and then viewing them).

It might be worth looking in your Entourage configuration to see if anything like "delete emails from server after reading" is ticked. I know I had the same problem in Outlook Express, which by default does this.
N/A

Webmail

Spot on!

Thanks very much chaps...

For anyone else who comes accross this problem the offending uncheck can be found in the following path within the application (Entourage)

Tools/Accounts/EditAccount/Options-

Leave copy of each message on the server (check)
N/A

Webmail

No worries Smiley

You might want to look at using IMAP in the future. What you're using right now is POP3, which is designed to work by downloading the message and then reading it. What you're doing at the moment is basically a "botch job".

Whereas, IMAP is designed to read the messages directly from the server. Also, it allows you to synchronise folders - meaning that if you send an email from your local client it is stored (server side) in a "sent" folder. This folder can then be accessed from your local client, OR through the webmail - so you can always read emails which you've sent which isn't possible with POP3. This is useful if you want to be able to read your emails from different places (i.e. at home and at work).

Hope I haven't confused you more, feel free to ask for further explanation Smiley
N/A

Webmail

Nice one

Tried Imap, cant get it to work, get the error message

An error occurred on the IMAP server.

and

A connection failure has occurred.

The plot thickens...
N/A

Webmail

Its ok, sussed it

Dont forget to change the incoming server to imap.plus.net! -Doh

Elementary, well obvious when you think about it.

Shockedops:
N/A

Webmail

well, it did work...

I try and send a message and i get the following error

A message in your Outbox could not be sent using account "Daz." The server did not recognize the recipients or the server refuses to allow you to send mail.

relay not permitted

Not to worry, its not a matter of life and death might mean i get on with some work.

:?
N/A

Webmail

You'll need to be on a PlusNet connection (dialup or ADSL) to send mail using a mail client on the relay server (relay.plus.net). If you're not on a PlusNet connection you have to use the webmail. With a bit of configuration in your mail client you should be able to set it up to synchronise.

For example, you send an email at work using webmail. This will appear in your "Sent" folder in webmail. With a bit of configuration, you can have it so it also appears in a "Sent" folder in your mail client at home, thus allowing you to keep track of what emails you've sent more easily.

To be honest, it might be overly complicated for what you want to do - if you're happy to stick with POP3 and set your client to leave a copy of the message on the server, then I'd suggest doing that.
N/A

Webmail

yep,

the later sounds favourite,

cheers chris