Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail problems

paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Webmail problems

Anyone else having problems logging on to PN's webmail. It takes almost 2 minutes to go from the logon page to the inbox. Using Firefox if that makes any difference.

Paul
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Webmail problems

Hi there,

I have tried to replicate this, albeit in IE7 (dont use FF) and have not seen any problems.

I have tried it with several, non staff accounts, without difficulty.

Let us know if it persists. I take it all other browsing is fine?
paulgul
Rising Star

Webmail problems

Hi Mark,
Just tried it with IE6 and it took 100 seconds to go from login to the full inbox page. The actual inbox page took nearly 30 sec to load completly. All other browsing and ftp is OK

Paul
xon
Grafter

Webmail problems

I use a Firefox browser and login to my webmail more or less without issue... certainly relatively quickly Shocked

Once a few years back I had several thousand emails, mainly spam, in my Inbox when it was understandably slow!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Webmail problems

That's a good point, Paul, do you have a lot of mail in the mailbox? The more mail the longer it will take to login.
paulgul
Rising Star

Webmail problems

That's a good point, Paul, do you have a lot of mail in the mailbox? The more mail the longer it will take to login.

Yes, its an address not normally used so its probably full of spam. As it only shows 20 or 30 message topics per page I didn't think that would come into it.

Paul
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Webmail problems

Hi Mark,
Just tried it with IE6 and it took 100 seconds to go from login to the full inbox page. The actual inbox page took nearly 30 sec to load completly. All other browsing and ftp is OK

When you log in to webmail it has to get a complete list of the emails in your inbox. If you have a lot in there is will be slow - how many are there?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Webmail problems

Another suggestion. You could use Magic Mail Monitor to get the complete list of emails (it only retrieves the headers). It also allows you to delete the spam emails direct from the server.
paulgul
Rising Star

Webmail problems

- how many are there?

I've got the inbox loaded on the other tab now and I can't see indication of the number of messages - but they all look like spam with a date of 70/01/01 (yes i mean 70) whatever that is supposed to mean.

Paul
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Webmail problems

Not sure you'll believe this, but there's 89,282 mails in that mailbox totalling over 900MB of space. Not surprised webmail is taking its time loading, took me nearly 2 minutes to get that figure from our check mailbox tool, normally only takes a second or so (fortunately the tool doesn't tell me anything about the mails just how many and how much space otherwise I'd be there all day I think).

Date of 70/01/01 just means that there's probably no date on the email and Unix uses this date as its epoc.

Unless you want to wade through nearly 90,000 emails I'd say the best thing to do is just delete them all, set up redirects on any addresses you use and raise a ticket to blackhole the mailbox.
paulgul
Rising Star

Webmail problems

Not enough fingers to count them on Wink
How do I do a mass deletion - I hope I havn't got to it a page at a time, or can you arrange that from your end.
Whatever it'll have to wait until tomorrow and I will try and sort something out

Paul
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Webmail problems

This should be able to delete all the mail

http://usertools.plus.net/delmail/

you won't be able to check them first it will just kill everything in the mailbox. If it doesn't work then raise a ticket and we can do it for you.
paulgul
Rising Star

Webmail problems

Tried it a couple of times but get an error message saying "Your mailbox failed to open. Please check the username and password, and try again.
Off to work now - will try tomorrow

Paul
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Webmail problems

Could be too many emails for it to handle, give it another try to tomorrow and if it doesn't work put the ticket in. The network guys will only be too happy to delete nearly 1GB of mail off the platform Smiley
Community Veteran

Webmail problems

Not sure you'll believe this, but there's 89,282 mails in that mailbox totalling over 900MB of space. Not surprised webmail is taking its time loading

I think the surprise is that webmail managed to load with that many emails!