cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail downloads

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Webmail downloads

I've just tried this in IE7 and can confirm that right click gives you an option Save Picture As... which works as expected for me.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
5 REPLIES
decomplexity
Rising Star

Webmail downloads

A colleague to whom I have just emailed a large pile of .jpg and .gif files for further editing has told me that, when told to download an attachment, PN webmail displays the files rather than does the conventional "Open or Save (and to which folder). jpgs can, after display, apparently be saved using IE7’s ‘Save Picture As’ but gifs can only be saved as bmps. Is there any way to suppress this display of jpgs and gifs and have them treated as any other non-graphics file (i.e. downloaded like other files using an Open or Save dialogue?)

I also tried emailing these jpg and gifs to my colleague’s MSN Hotmail account. This seems even worse: Hotmail does a similar display (and with no apparent option to turn it off) and the only obvious way to do a graphics file download is to use File / Save as file-type 'Webpage complete' which then saves the (e.g.) .jpg in a new subdirectory with one file - the jpg - inside it !

I could resend the files with filetypes renamed to something less common which he could then re-rename back to (e.g.) .jpg at his end but this seems daft. One of us is missing something obvious; I cannot believe things are quite as tortuous as this with IE.

Life is simple with Firefox 2 (of course ...)
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Webmail downloads

Hi,

I'm not sure whether this is a problem with webmail or just a file types setting. I don't think IE has any seperate settings for file types, so if the jpg file type is associated with IE then that would explain why it doesn't give the open/save dialogue box.

Not sure about the GIF saving as bmps, that isn't something I've seen before.

I'm wondering if the best option is to just zip/rar the files and send them that way as a single attachment.
N/A

Webmail downloads

If you right-click on the picture, and choose 'Save Image as' what happens?

When I do it, it opens a Save Image dialog box, with the image name and type being the same as presented by the webpage.
If its a .gif, there are two options to choose from for the file type for saving the image - either .gif or .bmp does IE not present these options?
decomplexity
Rising Star

Webmail downloads

Thanks. Have done some experimenting with PN webmail.
If there is a space in the filename (e.g. thursday night.gif as opposed to thursdaynight.gif), the space is replaced by the string %20 (presumably 20hex - the URL encoded space character per RFC 173Cool in the displayed filename and the option to Save As .gif does not appear (only .bmp). And this applies to jpgs too. Perhaps someone else would like to try this and confirm I am barmy!

And if anyone also with an MSN Hotmail account can explain away the (apparent) more annoying behaviour of Hotmail (vide my original post), I will buy a Warfarin mousemat...
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
N/A

Webmail downloads

Hmmm, its rubbeesssh!

You are of course absolutely correct.

I have found a workaround, but it depends on your default mail client.

If I right click on the image, and choose email picture, a new message is opened in Outlook with the image attached, I can then right-click the attachment and choose save as. This allows me to save the image as a jpg

Want to get more confused?

Try changing the extension to be .jpeg instead of .jpg
Then the image appears as a link rather than an embedded object. The link opens a dialog box with the options to save, open or cancel.

Oddly it replaces <space> with <underline> in the filename.
(so dennis pic.jpeg became dennis_pic.jpeg when it arrived.)

It appears to be a little buggy, since its possible to get it to do what you want in some circumstances, just not in all.

Can't be any help with the Hotmail issue I'm afraid.