Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail Feature Request: 1 minute Inbox Refresh rate

Lorian
Grafter

Currently under Email Settings -> Inbox Refresh rate you can select

10 seconds then there is a jump to 5 minutes.

I have selected 10 seconds because 5 minutes is too long. 1 or 2 minutes would be ideal. Quick enough, with a little less load on the servers.

Jc.
8 REPLIES
Eserim
Rising Star

I'd take the same view but also say remove the 10 second option - is this really needed? If it is there people will selct it with a large load on the servers, if they get the 1 minute option (Ido any PC clients have sub-minute options) then this will be the one most select.

Chris
Community Veteran

I really don't see why you would want anything less than a 5 mins refresh. Are you really desparate to receive email every minute.

The shorter the time, the more load that is put on the server and thus it tends to slow everything down. It could easily take more than 10s to do each refresh so that figure is really not necessary.

I would suggest refresh times of 5min, 10min, 15min and 20min would cover all requirements. It spreads the load more evenly between all the users.
Eserim
Rising Star

I think I'd be happy with that, or not giving users the option at all, the current system doesn't have the option does it? Does it actually refresh?

Sometimes you can give users too many options.

However.....

it does depend on what people use webmail for.

I use it at work to keep an eye on personal mail and 5,10 minutes is more than enough

I can see others, especially when this is launched, using the Advanced view as their main email client, especially Broadband users. In this case I think it should be as close to the same level of configurability as a PC based client.

Chris
Community Veteran

You are not comparing like with like: a PC based email client deals with the load when connecting to the mail server itself and does not impact other users, the new webmail servers are multi-user so each user has the potential to effect all others if refresh times are too fast.

The refresh setting the webmail server uses must cater for it being a multi-user system and not be treated the same as a PC email clent.
Lorian
Grafter

I really don't see why you would want anything less than a 5 mins refresh. Are you really desparate to receive email every minute.

I'm sorry you don't see why, but I have good reasons.

I have alerts from a home security system, stock price alert web site and others. A minute is fine, 5 can make quite a difference.

I was just trying to save some server transactions by suggesting increasing it to a minue or two.
Community Veteran

Did you manage with the current webmail system (which refreshed every 5 or 10 mins I think - or did you keep hitting the refresh button) or did you use some other website for viewing email online?

I would suggest you are an exception to the general usage of webmail and not all acceptions would be or could be catored for.
Lorian
Grafter

I would suggest you are an exception to the general usage of webmail and not all acceptions would be or could be catored for.

You will recall I was asking for an option to be slower than what was already there. This will reduce resource usage.

I'm sure a request for an option that could reduce traffic by 80% would be considered by plusnet.

If you want to propose increasing this to 5 minutes then that's you perogative.
Lorian
Grafter

I'd take the same view but also say remove the 10 second option - is this really needed?
Chris

I Agree, It would be wiser to change the 10 second option to a 1 minute option.