cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web mail - HTML messages

N/A

Web mail - HTML messages

After raising a query with the Help Desk as to why Web Mail cannot cope with HTML-only messages, I was directed here to make a suggestion for an improvement. Skimming through back postings, I see there was a poll started on this last year and I have added my vote to that. But I couldn't find any follow-up as to whether this suggestion is being accepted or not.

I'm a relatively new PlusNet subscriber and use my PlusNet e-mail address for personal purposes (booking holidays, buying stuff, etc.). I'm finding that a number of the e-mails I'm getting in (particularly from holiday companies) are in HTML only and are almost impossible to read in the Web Mail client where they are displayed as raw HTML. I know I could view them by using another e-mail client, such as Outlook or Eudora, but I don't want to do this. I use Eudora for my professional e-mail and I want to keep them complateley separate. (And I avoid MSOutlook like the plague.)

So . . . please can the WebMail client be enhanced to cope with the display of HTML messages?

If this enhancement is already in the planned cycle of improvements, can you give me an idea of when that is likely to be?
8 REPLIES
N/A

Web mail - HTML messages

You can run multiple copies of Eudora if you want. One for business and one for personal. Just install into different directories.
N/A

Web mail - HTML messages

See the top thread of the Ideas forum. It contains a list of all the ideas and links to the relevant threads.

Webmail is due to for a relaunch some time later this year, which will support HTML e-mail better than it does now.

Please don't be hoping that these changes take place over night, because they don't. However, there are so many people here that seem to think they do.
michaelscott
Grafter

Web mail - HTML messages

> "which will support HTML "

But HTML mail is pure evil Sad
N/A

Web mail - HTML messages

If the correct subset of HTML is managed correctly, HTML e-mail is pure genious.

Some tips for a web HTML e-mail system include

1: Allow image display to be optional
2: Allow the user to select if only images included as attachment should be displayed.
3: Remove search string from URLs for images.
4: Disallow CSS
5: Prevent font sizes going above absolute 2 or modifier +3
6: Filter all applet, embed, object tags

There are a few others, but I can't remember them this early on a sunday.
michaelscott
Grafter

Web mail - HTML messages

7. Strip all tags leaving only text
N/A

Web mail - HTML messages

Strip all tags leaving nothind but an unreadable mess you mean.

That is the whole idea of supporting HTML, so people can read there e-mail the way they are supposed to be read, with all the dangers removed.
michaelscott
Grafter

Web mail - HTML messages

email was never designed to be HTML.

I hate companies that do not give an option for plain text emails and I hate people who insist in typing in blue comic sans.
painswck
Grafter

Web mail - HTML messages

Agreed Mike. HTTP for WWW text for mail and usenet.

We complain that mail servers get overloaded. Well the overheads of HTTP do not help.

My 5 pence worth.