Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web bugs and stolen bandwidth

N/A

Just a thought.
When we have the fair usage in full force
{this is not a complaining thread about PN so dont rant here plz]

We all have web bugs and adware now and then, I use addware and spybot to remove them.

But these little beggers use our conection to contact other sites like gator to tell them our surfing habits etc, thay dont ask us first before thay use our conection.

Could you take them to court for steeling your bandwidth, we payfor it after all.

I know its probaly to expencive to do anyway, but just as talking point would you seek action if it was possible :?:

PS
errr poll got messed lol Cheesy
5 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

It's an interesting thought but not many malware programs are open about who wrote them, applications that do similar will normally have it buried in the T's and C's that are presented on installation that you agree to it.

Certainly an interesting discussion point.

Regards,

Rich
N/A

I have seen via my anti web bug software on inspection of the file it sometimes gives the companys name Smiley so you could in some cases trace them :twisted:
N/A

It's certainly an interesting point, it's just i'm not to sure of the legality of it all....

Regrds,

Rich
N/A

Spys and Ads...

We all have web bugs and adware now and then, I use addware and spybot to remove them.

Uh, I don't. But then, I'm using OSX and nobody seems to want to create spyware and malware for OSX, probably because it's a losing battle due to the fact it's a secure OS... Wink

Good question though. I also run a PC and have to make a conscious effort to keep it up to date with Zonealarm and so on.

John
Community Veteran

Just something to think about....

If it was easy to do what the OP is suggesting, do you not think people would be doing it now? Where are the hundreds of court actions taking place, why are the press not reporting all these hundreds of court actions against virus, spyware, malware writers and companies?

The answer, They don't exist. It's not easy because often the law and T&C of the packages are against you. They are not happening because as with most things in this area it is difficult to prove they (the writers) are doing something wrong or illegal or are running without permission. Also don't believe everything you read in the properties of a file because the writer can put anything they like (including microsoft if they wanted).

The other difficulty is there are 100s of new syware, malware and viruses being writted EVERY DAY so even if you do, by some chance, win one court case, 100s of others would be needed just to keep on top of the situation.

A nice idea but practicalities mean it won't happen, and the writers know this very well.