Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We're ready for the Beeb's iPlayer

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

The BBC iPlayer comes out of the closed trial on Friday, we've been trialling it and I did some final testing to check that our traffic management is ready and posted some findings here:

http://community.plus.net/

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Shortened URL as it was stretching the page. Wink
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Finally got my self a PCI digital TV card for my old pc and personaly giving the BBC test the elbow. So if the same as the other trial, bandwidth is going to kill this before it gets popular, how many ISP's have uncapped downloads any more.

Would expect it will be Useful for those that cannot get a Digital signal and the rest will try it and stop after the first months download allowance cap email.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
driveconsultant
Grafter

Is the BBC iPlayer in any way related to the Netgem iPlayer? Or have they just stolen the name?
N/A

No go here to a previous thread
driveconsultant
Grafter

Oh sorry I hadn't seen that thread.

I have a Netgem iPlayer too - rock solid and connected to my TiVo.

You would think the BBC would have the nous to check whether the name had been used before...
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Would expect it will be Useful for those that cannot get a Digital signal and the rest will try it and stop after the first months download allowance cap email.

I think it depends how people use it. If you use it as a catch up service for shows you forgot to record then chances are usage isn't going to be that high.

I don't see lots of people switching to this as the main way of watching BBC shows from their TVs, the quality isn't as high for a start, I see it more like people will watch the odd show now and again. Like I said in the blog for anyone that forgets to watch/record Top Gear tonight I can them downloading it on Friday evening when the service opens up.
N/A

[snip].....forgets to watch/record Top Gear tonight....[snip]

Well reminded - get yourself a coffee, I'll give you the money* for it next time I'm in the area!

I'd completely forgotton it was on tonight.

/this reminds James he needs to figure out how to make his Sky box record stuff by the wonders of internet or text.

*erm, coffee is still free at PN towers isn't it?
N/A

Can anyone point me where I can find the BBC iplayer?
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

N/A

Yes I found that but it's still a closed trial, thought Dave said that it's coming out of a closed trial :?
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmmm... according to wikipedia (not the source of all knowledge I realise, but the easiest to hand) there is the following:

"The iPlayer received the approval of the BBC Trust on 30 April 2007, an open beta for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 was launched at midnight on 27 July 2007 when it was announced that only a fixed number of people would be able to sign up for the service[1] with a controlled increase in users over the summer. A full marketing launch is expected in the autumn of 2007."

Seems like it's a very select open trial to me...

full article here.

Hope this helps, sorry if you'd found that too.
N/A

Cheers for the info.

No I did not search for other information as I thought I was stupid and missed a link or something after I read this from the BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6916164.stm
N/A

Hmmm... according to wikipedia (not the source of all knowledge I realise, but the easiest to hand) there is the following:

"The iPlayer received the approval of the BBC Trust on 30 April 2007, an open beta for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 was launched at midnight on 27 July 2007 when it was announced that only a fixed number of people would be able to sign up for the service[1] with a controlled increase in users over the summer. A full marketing launch is expected in the autumn of 2007."

full article here.

Hope this helps, sorry if you'd found that too.

Yes a very sad day indeed to see the bbc locking licence payers into propritary software available on only one paltform. So much for the beeb's charter. But from the recent phone-in scandal (the fact they would even consider the actions taken) its obvious that something is rotten at its core.
lingbob
Grafter

... and restricted to Windoze users too Sad
octafish
Grafter

It's not Windows users, it's XP users. Users of other OSs such as OSX, Linux and Vista will all get it in good time.

Without meaning to cause offence I wish people would stop using the silly 'Windoze' term, it's very 13 year oldish.... :-)

S