cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We Need To Voice Our Actions Abt This Isp!

N/A

when i first joined like u all to i to saw unlimited broadband now each and every time i complain they turn round and say it was never sold as unlimited and like us all we all would have asked if we would be caped etc all the necessary questions up until now i thought my mind was playing tricks on me abt unlimited soon realized after browsing this forum for the very first time I'm not alone here and wasn't disillusioned abt it all personal i think we all need to complain higher then the isp. from my side i would complain because i requested unlimited and a dynamic ip and had this for 8 months happy no problems abt from d/c problems i to change my router had bt check line etc was last couple months started getting major problems and when my ip became static i phoned up abt this they kept saying just d/c your router etc
when i phoned them up today iwas asking abt cancellation and said i'm going because of this management system in place they turn round and said it was requested by all people like you and me to have it was people like u and me that gave them feed bk for it , if that's the case then if we all feed bk for them to get rid of it they should as they recon they listen to us the first time.
As for me well soon as i can I'm out of here nd gonna join bulldog i hear they unlimited £21.99 and £1 connection fee and they don't need migration code if any 1 has bad reports abt bulldog please tell me !
27 REPLIES
N/A

bulldog were pathetic. they make pn seem like a golden egg
N/A

Looking at your poll, seems most are in favour of management, me too,

It's just the poor way PlusNet have implemented things, lets hope lessons have been learned and PlusNet will be a little more "honest and open" from now on

Still unhappy with the two tier peak-times, and still can't understand why they did it

Anyone from PlusNet confirm that 4pm to Midnight will be the peak-time for all apps??

When in February will the peak-times become one (maybe 14th would be good, with romance in the air Cheesy ) ?Huh
willhome
Grafter

http://adslguide.org/isps/compare.asp?bulldog=ON&plusnet=ON&cmp_action=Compare

look at the customer service. if you dont know this is customers like me and other posting rating out of ten for cs, reliabilty and speed every month, 1000's of customers.

also not that a agree how plus net went about it is right. But what would you prefere.

A fight for bandwidth against others. seeing who can download most trying to see if we can to get more then others on same line.

Then finding in peak time our speeds drop to 20kbps not becuase plus net limit us but simplly because only so much you can get out of 155mbps line funny enough tis 155mbps
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

I'd be very interested to know where you saw that we offered "unlimited broadband". The word unlimited did appear on the portal for a short period well over a year ago, but certainly not in 2005. It's something we don't use in describing our products, the reasons for which date back to the surf time days and was removed once the rest of the business realised the mistake the content team had made.

Our products are sold and have always been sold as being contended services on a shared network. At £14.99 Broadband Plus buys into that shared network on a 50:1 basis, where the network manages the speeds and usage such that at a certain point the more you download the slower it gets between 8am and midnight. At £21.99 Broadband Premier buys into the shared network on a 30:1 basis and provides a certain amount of clean usage and beyond that P2P/Usenet/FTP speeds are reduced between 8am and midnight.

This is designed to give the majority of customers full speeds on our network rather than seeing slowdowns for all at peak times which is where we would be without the managed platform.

As an ISP the options really boil down to three options, network and capacity management, doing nothing or continually adding extra central pipes. The second option wouldn't be popular with most customers because it would affect every customers' connection causing ping spikes and packet loss as well as reduced speeds when the network was busy.

Adding central pipes doesn't work long term unless you either keep putting prices up or want to go bankrupt. If you don't apply any network or capacity management then you will likely be the target ISP of every high user that's leaving another ISP because they are dealing with levels of unsustainable usage. Pretty soon you'll get to a critical mass point where you have to take some kind of action. Which ISP's are now asking the questions that PlusNet answered in 2004? Which ISP's have introduced traffic management? Which ISP's have introduced fair usage policies? Which ISP's have set caps? Which ISP's have changed to definition of "unlimited" to mean "unlimited time" or "available 24/7"?

Given the different ways of looking at the issue of unsustainable usage I do feel that PlusNet's is the best way, and that's not just because I work for the company. Setting caps doesn't always work because you can still have the same speed issues if lots of people use their connections at peak times, increasing prices isn't going to work long term because it will just put off the light users and eventually just attract the high users. Real time management of the network is the way to go and we are nearly there.
N/A

maybe plusnet getting better speeds and reliablilty 1 becuase pple leaving them or 2 because they syarted to restrict account bandwidths
N/A

I've been a coustomer for 3 years and I paid for an unlimited service.

PN have went from a great isp to one of the worst in the space of 6 months.

I personally will not tolerate complete disregard for consumer interests when i joined it clearly stated no limits! then your vision for 2006 came in email form again everything was fine nothing was mentioned about premier accounts.

Then you dont email the premier holders and only post on the portal news section that premier will be affected.

Tell me why this was! why would someone on premier even read the news if its primarily the same as the email as they normally are. why did you not re email us all. also stating that you can opt out your contractual obligations due to this. May have at least saved your customer service reputation.

PN hae pulled the wool over every premier account holder and maybe trading standards would be interested in all your views. Me im off to zen soon anyhow unlimited bandwith! who has to have slow bandwith as Zen are also rated top for speeds and they use a 50:1 ratio!

AS for bulldog they were hauled over the coals recently for using methods of squeezing faster speeds out of lines which proved not to work too well.

Your argument about speed is unsustained as its just a case of PN not putting the money back into the business.

As for being nearly there it should have been there! when sup went live.
N/A

I've emailed Zen about a few queries so I'm most possibly off to them once I get a reply in a few days. I'm not even a heavy user but just can't stand whats happened to me.

I don't think PN understand that the average user cannot keep updated on all these changes they keep imposing. I had no idea about the SUP and then all of a sudden within two days I'm on level 2 management out of no where. So I'm now paying £21.99 for a 256k line? Well thanks, but no thanks.

When I joined PN you guys were so respected and thats what made me join after the lies that Pipex kept sprouting towards it's customers. I'd rather pay extra then be stung like this with promises of 'high speed broadband being shoved in my face'.

I seriously don't mind a cap, but having a 20gb 'clean limit' is utterly pathetic given that its so easy to reach that limit. Lord knows how hilarious it'll be for 8mb+ users.

Maybe you guys should cut out the Scalextric play and focus on ways of improving your already shambles of a reputation.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

The SUP will never affect the average user, and the network traffic management will only ever be positive for the average user. The mean usage across all accounts is 5.28GB per month in total never mind just P2P/Usenet/FTP between 8am and midnight.

A 20GB clean allowance is designed to give the majority of customers fast speeds on all types of traffic at peak times. If you are using more than this then at peak it will get slower to give priority to the light to moderate users. You can still download at reduced speeds during the day and at full speed overnight or you can look for an alternate ISP that can better suit your requirements.

We build our products for the majority of customers and design the network so that the majority will get the best performance all the time. The network management is in place to ensure that we can deliver this. It is there to encourage high usage off peak when the network is quiet and provide a sustainable product set.

This is what the automation and profiling work we doing is building towards, it's building towards the faster speeds, to up to 8Mbps and faster through LLU and ADSL2+. We have been going down this road for a long time so the majority of our customers will be able to use the faster speeds when they are available to them. The same questions were asked when the 2Mbps upgrades were rolled out and answered through building the managed platform. By taking the next steps to full automation and intelligent real time network management we will be offering sustainable high quality, high speed low cost product to the majority. It's important to recognise that an increase in speed to most doesn't mean they use more. Most will just take advantage of that speed to do the same things in less time. As new technologies emerge like video on demand, IPTV, Sky by Broadband BBC IMP, etc. then yes, we do expect usage to increase and this will be delivered by a combination of the managed platform, by using LLU technology, through savings in economies of scale and automation and through changes in the cost infrastructure at BT Wholesale.

By addressing all the issues now by doing what we have done with the platform we are ready for what's about to come. 2006 is going to be a big year for the broadband industry and PlusNet will be at forefront. I've said before and I'll say again, where PlusNet leads, others will follow.
N/A

Still does not answer the question of why you emailed us but left out premier being affected by the 20gb peak usage! then posted the same vision in your news section and put the premier cap in there!
N/A

It doesn't make sense.

If PN is to offer higher speeds "up to 8Mbps and faster through LLU and ADSL2+", and "new technologies emerge like video on demand, IPTv..." eventually EVERYONE will be going above their limits QUICKLY.

PN does not seem to be a viable ISP for me if this continues. I have been a customer for a long long time. They were "great" and has been in steady decline. I've been mis-sold a £29.99 "up to 4Mb Premiere" service for which I'm only getting 2Mb for months now. Out of the blue, I have just received an email that I'm on "Level 1" and the website indicates I'm on 512k service!!?!

There are ISP alternatives, I did not have a need to look for them, but now I have no option but to begin my research. *sigh*

"where PlusNet leads, others will follow": I don't think so. Whatever happend to your previous attempts at bandwidth limitation?

I think the others will pick up all your customers if PN continues to mislead customers and change/limit it's products.

Time for me to move on.
N/A

I've said before and I'll say again, where PlusNet leads, others will follow.

I think many will stop short of where you have led. The reason being that in "addressing all the issues" I think you've lost sight of what many consumers are seeking.

You seemed to know a year ago:

"The Broadband market is very fragmented. There are loads of small ISPs offering different products and it's very confusing from a price and service perspective. Through 'Broadband Pay As You Go', 'Broadband Plus' and 'Broadband Premier', PlusNet has 3 simple product options that offer something for everyone, delivering market leading value, quality of service and a fantastic customer experience."

http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1108488910.htm

I think your products are now amongst the most confused options on the market.

I understand that network management is important. I've argued myself on this forum, that I've found your service to be cheaper, faster and more reliable than my previous isp.

Broadband Plus has served me well, but I'm coming to realise that my needs are changing, and it may not continue to meet them . A few months back, Premier would have been an automatic upgrade choice, but it's on a list now of 5 or 6 options.

The reason- there is a lack of transparency in the product, caused by a myriad of ever-changing rules, guidelines etc.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

The reason- there is a lack of transparency in the product, caused by a myriad of ever-changing rules, guidelines etc.

I disagree that there is a lack of transparancy in the Premier product. We have published an in-depth guide at http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml and are emailling all customers about this, you may have even received this email already.

We have made some changes in the management of the Premier account to improve the peak time experience for the majority of Premier account, and we know that this isn't perfect, however we are working on building a fully automated system which will intelligently manage the network in real time to provide a fantastic service to light and medium users and still lots of opportunities for heavier users to download a lot at quiet times.
N/A

The recent e-mail and attempt to clarify positions on the premier account is most welcome and does show an attempt to bring some clarity back in to the operation. However, as long as the situation persist where you have different peak times and limits for the SUP and the ftp\p2p\usenet clean allowance the policies of the premier account will remain confusing for many. It isn't very easy at all to get your head around to be honest.
ceridwen
Grafter

I disagree that there is a lack of transparancy in the Premier product. We have published an in-depth guide at http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml and are emailling all customers about this, you may have even received this email already.

Ben,

The lack of transparency was caused by the constant changing of the of the traffic management over the last few months of which the system described above is the final culmination, and the fact that you are e-mailing customers about this after implementation rather than giving the required 14 days notice as per your own T&C's

In any case, the link you've posted merely says the following about the 20Gb clean usage for P2P/FTP/Usenet:

To reward light and moderate usage of these applications, each Broadband Premier up to 2Mb customer gets up to 20GB of clean peer-to-peer, USENET and FTP usage each month before any management is applied.

It does not say anywhere on that page, over what time that 20GB of clean usage is calculated (the whole day, 8am-12, 4pm-12). That omission cannot fail to cause more confusion and lack of transparency...

Matthew