cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ways out?

N/A

Ways out?

I've been a PlusNet subscriber for...a whole 2 days now and I want to leave.

I've got no more than 120kb/s on P2P

I get constant lag spikes on CS:Source

I signed up to an unlimited account designed for people who want "premium speed on all types of useage" but have found it's now capped and, even in the event I don't reach the limits, shaped

I understand I need to get a MAC code, and migrating to F2S is free, so I'll be doing that.

What I want to know is; is there any way to get my first month's subscription refunded (as I've only had it 2 days) and is there any case for getting out of the deferred activation costs. I feel the product was sold to me under false pretences, as the specification of the product changed before it was even activated.

Surely there's some way out of it, would trading standards agree it was mis sold? Does the distance selling act come into it at all? What is the best result I can expect?

EDIT Corrected awful spelling, I'm so p****d off right now.
33 REPLIES
N/A

Ways out?

not as far as i know :-(

consider renaming your account to

"sewn up like a kipper"

you arent the only one in the same boat, unfortunately
N/A

Ways out?

Indeed, it's an absolute disgrace.

I feel like I've bought a new car, only to find the engine was an optional extra...
N/A

Ways out?

Unfortunatly, the law provides methods to break out of contract early in cases where you have only been with them a short time, it doesn't however remove your obligations to pay incured costs.

These include payments for services already received.

Such payments include delivery, activation and the time you have actualy been enabled.

As a result, in your case you would need to pay the activation, and you wouldn't be able to reclaim the first months broadband fees. You wouldn't be tied to your annual (or monthly, depending on which you chose) contract.
Metalguru
Grafter

Ways out?

Lots of threads here and on ADSL Guide asking the same sort of thing.

Some disgruntled punters claim they have contacted Sheffield trading standards department but I'm not certain if they have yet taken up a case.

Perhapse +Net can tell us if they have been in touch.
LiamM
Grafter

Ways out?

Not really sure how Trading Standards could help since Plusnet aren't doing anything wrong (legally). It's all in the Terms and Conditions... everything is covered. As far as the law is concerned PN haven't done anything wrong and TS can't touch them.
N/A

Ways out?

So those ambiguous caluses in the T&Cs allow +Net to change, at will ,any aspect of the contract that exists between them and I?

So they could, legally, turn round tomorrow and say "Sorry, you're now only going to get a 512k service because we've run out of b/width"

Or any other such change in the advertised service?
N/A

Ways out?

yep
N/A

Ways out?

Out of interest, what's this referral discount? Smiley
N/A

Ways out?

Which part have they changed?
LiamM
Grafter

Ways out?

Pretty much yes. Plusnet products offer guaranteed contention within their network of 30:1. They are therefore legally allowed to divide your download speed by 30, and only give you this.
N/A

Ways out?

The part that says the service was intended for users who are "consistently downloading large files / playing online games"

It's actually capped.

And the part that says "for users who want premium speed at any time"

You'll actually get premium speed if and when they think your particular traffic is important enough
N/A

Ways out?

Out of interest, what's this referral discount? Smiley

if u recommend some one the user name u use gets a £10.00 credit so to be fair u give the person who used you as a referral £5.00

dont discuss it on here tho as it is not good nettiquette if u want any info pm me

hope you get sorted mate, i know plusnet have done this for the good of the network - only time will tell

The mods and CS staff are about the only good thing left here now :-)
N/A

Ways out?

Pretty much yes. Plusnet products offer guaranteed contention within their network of 30:1. They are therefore legally allowed to divide your download speed by 30, and only give you this.

If they did this, it would be another blatant change to the advertised product, as their "contention for beginners" guide, the only information on the matter available to newcomers, explains that it is a connection sahred between up to 30 other people. If +net "artificially" divided download speeds by 30, the information in this document would be incorrect.

But I'm sure they'd soon change that page to reflect any new measures....
N/A

Ways out?

netiquette, gotta love that term Cheesy

Sure thing.

I agree, the people on this forum are generally alrite. 2 days ago I contacted CS to get my account activated, only to be told a day later BT were still activating. A quick word on here, and 5 minutes later it was sorted. Pity I won't be hanging around