cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning..... USB ADSL Modems and XP Mobo's and Processors.

mikeshe
Grafter
Posts: 56
Registered: 30-07-2007

Warning..... USB ADSL Modems and XP Mobo's and Processors.

I upgraded my computer yesterday from a Pentium P3-750 on an Abit BE6 Mobo to an AMD Athlon XP 2100+ running on an Asus A7V333 Mobo.

Everything went fine and the computer really flies now, except for one problem. What is most annoying is that this problem is down to nobody else but Plus Net. The problem is with the Dynamode A360 USB Modem that came supplied in the USB Starter Pack. Apparently after talking to CS yesterday, they came to the conclusion that these modems are not compatible with XP Mobo's or Processers and I now have to send the modem back to them BEFORE they replace it with a PCI Modem.

What really annoys me is this attitude where they will send a replacement once I return the USB Modem, so consequently I now have to wait for eternity before I have ADSL again. I'm still waiting for the replacement filters to arrive?

In reality I do not think this is good CS due to the fact that PlusNet do not inform customers anywhere on their site that these USB Modems are incompatible with certain Mobo's and/or processors. Had such a piece of info been available I may not have selected a USB whilst considering an upgrade.

What would make first class CS would be for Plus Net to send a replacement modem immediately by Courier and I will then give the courier the USB Modem for return. Your comments please CS.

Take this as a warning to any prospective USB Starter Pack customers............ The USB Modem supplied by PN is incompatible with Athlon XP Mobo's and/or processors. You will need to opt for the PCI option.

Regards,

Mike (Very unhappy, Xmas without ADSL).
7 REPLIES
mikeshe
Grafter
Posts: 56
Registered: 30-07-2007

RE: Warning..... USB ADSL Modems and XP Mobo's and Processor

Further to my post re the conclusions reached by CS yesterday about incompatible USB Modems.

I can confirm that after contacting the Tech Support at Dynamode, my ADSL is now up and running. I repeat now up and running. Obviously PN Support don't really know what they're doing at all times. Why weren't settings investigated?

The problem was with the Encapsulation, when I selected VCMUX, it was apparently reverting to the other (incorrect) one.

All sorted now, thanks to Dynamode. Therefore, do not believe CS when they tell you that a USB Modem will not work with Athlon XP Mobo's and/or cpu's.
The USB Modems DO WORK.
N/A

RE: Warning..... USB ADSL Modems and XP Mobo's and Processor

> All sorted now, thanks to Dynamode. Therefore, do not believe CS when they tell you that a USB Modem will not work with Athlon XP Mobo's and/or cpu's.
> The USB Modems DO WORK.
Hi Mike,
There has obviously been some confusion surrounding the issues you have experienced. I will attempt to investigate who was giving out incorrect information within our support department and ensure that they are educated.
If you have any further issues please feel free to get back to us.
Kind Regards,
Mike
--
| Mike Grice Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

RE: Warning..... USB ADSL Modems and XP Mobo's and Processor

Mike,

From what I have read, it is not a problem with Athlon's or their mobo's per se. I understand that the problem is related to onboard USB on some VIA chipset motherboards. Apparently some of the USB ports on these do not supply sufficient voltage to the USB bus. Sometimes it can be fixed by installing the latest via 4in1 drivers. If not, you can fix it quite cheaply by installing a USB card in the pci expansion slot. I think they are quite cheap anyway.

Hope that helps
mikeshe
Grafter
Posts: 56
Registered: 30-07-2007

RE: Warning..... USB ADSL Modems and XP Mobo's and Processor

Thanks Justin. My problem was down to a faulty installation, after contacting Dynamode Tech Support everything is great!

Have a good Xmas

Mike
Delves
Grafter
Posts: 188
Registered: 26-08-2007

RE: Warning..... USB ADSL Modems and XP Mobo's and Processor

Hi Mike.

I still have an outstanding problem with my setup, its the same as yours,

If I try to log on as another user who has a restricted account I get a RunDll error from the modem status and control application.

Do you have any restricted accounts and if so have you noticed this, the only fix I've got is to prevent this app from running at startup.

PlusNet blamed XP for this error, however as the driver is not microsoft signed I can't see how they can.

Regards

Dave


> I upgraded my computer yesterday from a Pentium P3-750 on an Abit BE6 Mobo to an AMD Athlon XP 2100+ running on an Asus A7V333 Mobo.
>
> Everything went fine and the computer really flies now, except for one problem. What is most annoying is that this problem is down to nobody else but Plus Net. The problem is with the Dynamode A360 USB Modem that came supplied in the USB Starter Pack. Apparently after talking to CS yesterday, they came to the conclusion that these modems are not compatible with XP Mobo's or Processers and I now have to send the modem back to them BEFORE they replace it with a PCI Modem.
>
> What really annoys me is this attitude where they will send a replacement once I return the USB Modem, so consequently I now have to wait for eternity before I have ADSL again. I'm still waiting for the replacement filters to arrive?
>
> In reality I do not think this is good CS due to the fact that PlusNet do not inform customers anywhere on their site that these USB Modems are incompatible with certain Mobo's and/or processors. Had such a piece of info been available I may not have selected a USB whilst considering an upgrade.
>
> What would make first class CS would be for Plus Net to send a replacement modem immediately by Courier and I will then give the courier the USB Modem for return. Your comments please CS.
>
> Take this as a warning to any prospective USB Starter Pack customers............ The USB Modem supplied by PN is incompatible with Athlon XP Mobo's and/or processors. You will need to opt for the PCI option.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike (Very unhappy, Xmas without ADSL).

mikeshe
Grafter
Posts: 56
Registered: 30-07-2007

RE: Warning..... USB ADSL Modems and XP Mobo's and Processor

Hi Dave

I had the same RunDLL error as you mention when I had other restricted accounts on Win XP. I did notice though that if you ignored these error messages the other accounts could still log on ok though.

Since doing the upgrade and fresh install of Win XP I do not have any restricted accounts at present.... kids are old enough to leave alone!

If you have the Dynamode USB Modem all I would suggest is going on to www.dynamode.co.uk site and cotacting their Tech Support, they may be able to offer some help. Apart from that Dave, I haven't a clue mate, sorry.

Have a good Xmas anyway,

Mike
Delves
Grafter
Posts: 188
Registered: 26-08-2007

RE: Warning..... USB ADSL Modems and XP Mobo's and Processor

Hi Mike

I've tried both PlusNet and Dynamode. PlusNet blame XP (easy way out) and Dynamode say they haven't come across this problem before, so I'm no further forward.

As you say you can just clear the error and continue, It just bug's me that no one has tested the kit properly before its sold, why should my kids have to worry about clearing error's every time they want to use the PC.

Thanks for replying

Dave.

> Hi Dave
>
> I had the same RunDLL error as you mention when I had other restricted accounts on Win XP. I did notice though that if you ignored these error messages the other accounts could still log on ok though.
>
> Since doing the upgrade and fresh install of Win XP I do not have any restricted accounts at present.... kids are old enough to leave alone!
>
> If you have the Dynamode USB Modem all I would suggest is going on to www.dynamode.co.uk site and cotacting their Tech Support, they may be able to offer some help. Apart from that Dave, I haven't a clue mate, sorry.
>
> Have a good Xmas anyway,
>
> Mike