cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning: Charged for using 0808

N/A

Warning: Charged for using 0808

I have only one dial-up connection on my PC and it is configured to dial the 0808 number. However, I just had a bill from BT with £128 of calls for the 0845 number.

Plus net support has been pathetic on this issue - truly pathetic. All they can say is "you are dialling 0845 instead of 0808". Thats great if I was but even their tech support people have checked my settings.

I've started scanning other forums for suggestions that might actually be useful....like:

1. Can plus net disable the ability for me to dial 0845 from home
2. Is there a way to log the dial-up networking connection process?

In the mean time - watch out people... it could happen to you!
10 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Warning: Charged for using 0808

> I have only one dial-up connection on my PC and it is configured to dial the 0808 number. However, I just had a bill from BT with £128 of calls for the 0845 number.
>
> Plus net support has been pathetic on this issue - truly pathetic. All they can say is "you are dialling 0845 instead of 0808". Thats great if I was but even their tech support people have checked my settings.
>
> I've started scanning other forums for suggestions that might actually be useful....like:
>
> 1. Can plus net disable the ability for me to dial 0845 from home
> 2. Is there a way to log the dial-up networking connection process?
>
> In the mean time - watch out people... it could happen to you!

Dear Customer,

We can remove the 0845 component from your account, this will not stop the number being dialled but it would stop you logging in.

You can record modem logs but this does not usually record the number that was dialled.

Have you checked that you didn't have the 0845 number setup as an alternate? In Windows 2000 you can specify an alternate number in dial-up networking which Windows will dial if the connection to the primary number fails.

Regards,
Rob

| Robert Kelly...............Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +


N/A

RE: Warning: Charged for using 0808

Rob,

If I were to grab screen shots of my dial-up connection it would show you I AM dialling 0808.

This rules out all discussions to do with alternatives (although I do not have any set).

This call has been ongoing for a week and no-one has suggested disabling the 0845 connection. Why was this simple suggestion not made?

However, I am reluctant to disable this access as I suspect there is a fault with the logon process and I think that although I am dialling 0808, your system is diverting me. What I need to do is positively prove that I am dialling 0808.

If this happens, Plus net will be liable for my bill.

At present I have created a new dial-up connection just in case there was a corruption with the old connection. When your logs are working again, I will be able to see whether the new connection is working correctly.

In the meantime, I am looking for ways to prove which number I am dialling. I know I'm dialling 0808, it appears on screen whilst making the connection. I just need to prove it.

N/A

RE: Warning: Charged for using 0808

> Rob,
>
> If I were to grab screen shots of my dial-up connection it would show you I AM dialling 0808.
>
> This rules out all discussions to do with alternatives (although I do not have any set).
>
> This call has been ongoing for a week and no-one has suggested disabling the 0845 connection. Why was this simple suggestion not made?
>
> However, I am reluctant to disable this access as I suspect there is a fault with the logon process and I think that although I am dialling 0808, your system is diverting me. What I need to do is positively prove that I am dialling 0808.
>
> If this happens, Plus net will be liable for my bill.
>
> At present I have created a new dial-up connection just in case there was a corruption with the old connection. When your logs are working again, I will be able to see whether the new connection is working correctly.
>
> In the meantime, I am looking for ways to prove which number I am dialling. I know I'm dialling 0808, it appears on screen whilst making the connection. I just need to prove it.
>
>

Hi,

As has been stated in response to your ticket we cannot divert your call to another number. As you say this may well have been a corrupt dial-up connection, hopefully our logs will be back online later today and we can check your recent connections.

Regards,
Rob

| Robert Kelly...............Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +



N/A

RE: Warning: Charged for using 0808

I also look forward to viewing the logs when they are back on-line to see if the new connection works.

However, I will still be pursuing this issue with the older connection as it would seem very odd that the 'corrupt' connection conveniently dials your other number.

I know you repeatedly say you cannot divert calls but BT repeatedly say you do. I know I need to get that in writing from BT before you can do anything more. In the meantime, I'm still looking for ways of categorically proving which number my computer dials. I will be back in touch soon...
N/A

RE: Warning: Charged for using 0808

> I also look forward to viewing the logs when they are back on-line to see if the new connection works.
>
> However, I will still be pursuing this issue with the older connection as it would seem very odd that the 'corrupt' connection conveniently dials your other number.
>
> I know you repeatedly say you cannot divert calls but BT repeatedly say you do. I know I need to get that in writing from BT before you can do anything more. In the meantime, I'm still looking for ways of categorically proving which number my computer dials. I will be back in touch soon...

Hi again,

There is a system called Surfport+ which can be used to divert calls using FRIACO. We do not have this implemented on any of our Connect services.

Which department at BT is giving the information you state above? It sounds to me that they are speculating as to the cause of the problem but we need to ensure that they aren't giving out incorrect information regarding our services.

Regards,
Rob

| Robert Kelly...............Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
N/A

RE: Warning: Charged for using 0808

Rob, Thanks for the responses in this forum. Our short discussion today has been so much more helpful and responsive than a week using the 'contact us' forum. Smiley

I understand your concerns about BT's generalised comment. That why I said I would need to get something in writing from them.

The real issue though is 'what number is my computer dialling'. Although my computer shows me it is dialling 0808, from what you've said, it can't be.

So I am concentrating on finding a way to prove what number is being dialled. If I discover I'm dialling 0845, then the problem ends with me. If I am dialling 0808 (as the m/c says) then I can pursue BT and PLUS.NET with the evidence.

As I said earlier though, thanks for the quick and sensible replies. It makes a real difference to my stress levels!
N/A

RE: Warning: Charged for using 0808

> Rob, Thanks for the responses in this forum. Our short discussion today has been so much more helpful and responsive than a week using the 'contact us' forum. Smiley
>
> I understand your concerns about BT's generalised comment. That why I said I would need to get something in writing from them.
>
> The real issue though is 'what number is my computer dialling'. Although my computer shows me it is dialling 0808, from what you've said, it can't be.
>
> So I am concentrating on finding a way to prove what number is being dialled. If I discover I'm dialling 0845, then the problem ends with me. If I am dialling 0808 (as the m/c says) then I can pursue BT and PLUS.NET with the evidence.
>
> As I said earlier though, thanks for the quick and sensible replies. It makes a real difference to my stress levels!


No problem, we'll be happy to help where we can Smiley

Regards,
Rob

| Robert Kelly...............Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
N/A

RE: Warning: Charged for using 0808


> So I am concentrating on finding a way to prove what number is being dialled. If I discover I'm dialling 0845, then the problem ends with me. If I am dialling 0808 (as the m/c says) then I can pursue BT and PLUS.NET with the evidence.
>

Can you use some sort of recorder to tape your modem dialing out ?
N/A

RE: Warning: Charged for using 0808

I have found the utility I needed! Cheesy

I've now proved my computer was dialling 0845 Sad.

Rob, thanks for your help but honestly, everyone else I dealt with made solving this simple problem a complete nightmare.

For future reference, if you have Home Highway (as I do) there is a utility installed as part of the setup called "Connection Log Viewer". It records every call made over the web.

Like I say, it proves my computer was dialling the wrong number. It also proves I am now dialling the correct number.

Original problem may be a faulty dial-up connection? I can't say for sure as when I now use the original connection - it dials the correct number too. Perhaps by clicking through the various menus during the last few weeks the fault was overwritten?

Perhaps you could make sure your support team know about this utility for home highway.

Thanks once again Rob. Smiley
N/A

RE: Warning: Charged for using 0808

Hi there Steve,

Please see my posting made to the previous thread in which you refer to this issue. Pleas note however, that this was made prior to reading your comments here - though I am glad you have been able to get to the route of the problem.

> Perhaps you could make sure your support team know about this utility for home highway.

Thanks for pointing this out; a handy tool for identifying any such issues in the future.

All the Best,
Mark.


| Mark Hague......................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technichal Support.......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd.............@http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +