cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to start my own FTP

N/A

Want to start my own FTP

Hi people

I was wondering if anyone could help me with my FTP. I have the relevant programs but for some reason my router does not allow the FTP program to be accessed through my IP. If I try accessing through my home ip address then it works but otherwise it doesn't. If ne1 can help me I would be very greatful.
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Want to start my own FTP

You may find it's the router dropping requests, or even Plus.Net.

Are you geting others to connect ot test, or are you trying yourself?

When you try connecting to your Plus.Net static IP, your router is doing one of 3 things.

1: Because the request is comming from a internal IP, it is treating it as a connection to the router itself, thus isn't forwarded.

2: The request is forwarded to Plus.Net, because it's not a Internal IP. Plus.net may drop the request, as it might be the cause of a feedback loop/bounce.

3: The same may happen with your router directly. It is dropping the request because of a possible feddback loop, or because it doesn't know how to route to it's own IP (this is a commen problem. Router don't allways see it as a connection back intot he network, and will only look for rules to route it externaly).

You may find that others can connect to it fine, it's just requests from your LAN
N/A

RE: Want to start my own FTP

Have you set the port forwarding up on your router?
Depending on your router there should be a portforwarding option to forward all request for ftp to an internal ip of one of your pcs.

Dont forget if you have firewall software running to allow that as well.
Only external users may connect as the other user has said

> Hi people
>
> I was wondering if anyone could help me with my FTP. I have the relevant programs but for some reason my router does not allow the FTP program to be accessed through my IP. If I try accessing through my home ip address then it works but otherwise it doesn't. If ne1 can help me I would be very greatful.

N/A

hmmm Confusing

Hi thanx for the info but to be honest I really dont know much about routers etc. Above all I don't even know where to begin to resolve the problem. Should I contact Plus NET? I dont think they would assist me with my router because I did not purchase it from them.