cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waived Activation Fees? - Lies in Practice

N/A

After reading the PlusNet newsletter and discovered my deffered activation fees would be waived I decided too ask for confirmation off PN whether they had been waived.

Now I had activation fees plus a deffered move-home fee so it came to a total of £114. However, with the initial activation fees waived that dropped to £47. A sum I would be willing to pay.

I received confirmation off WB that this was the case.

So I decide to move and do the usual thing: Ask for my MAC key.

What do I get?

This:
Dear Mr Bromley,
Thanks for your Question.

Currently to request your MAC key you will need to pay £114 of deferred charges and also the subscirption until the end of the notice.

As regards the plans to remove the deferred fees for are customers after one year, these are in the pipeline however there has been no due date set. Anybody that wishes to request their MAC key before this time will need to arrange to pay them.

Please authorise the £114 and we will generate your MAC key for you.

+internal+
please see comment

Regards,

Seriously unimpressed. Extremely annoyed.
32 REPLIES
johnmglen
Grafter

My Dad joined and was promised a free migration from A- hOles onLine.

They then billed him, he complained, they apologised and then didn't.

Sometimes I wonder if they just don't read what's in front of them. A bit like when you have an 'issue', they don't answer your specific points, they mostly give a stock answer which usually doesn't help.

Still - PN have proven to be better that all the other ISPs I've been with but I'm a bit worried that they are slipping sadly.
N/A

When I first joined they were one of the best in the industry and IU was really happy with the service. They seemed to rapidly degenerate within a few months and recently its been hell.

What upsets me a great deal is the attitude of the support. Its typical of the 'techy' (I'm one myself) to blame the customer for their problems. Whats known in the business as PIBKAC (Problem Is Between Keyboard And Chair). Well that just isn't acceptable for an ISP and it certainly isn't always the case. I've had better service in McDonalds for Christ sakes.

I'm disappointed and extremely annoyed.

If I don't get a satisfactory answer to my response I'll start looking into my options.
Community Veteran

Hi ashiro

You have misunderstood PlusNet's vision document.

They have not yet started to waiver deferred activations.

It some point in the future (March is my guess) they will waiver deferred activations after 12 months rather then the current 5 years.

But until this comes into force, you will have to pay up, or hold out.

Also it is against the forum rules to post agents name, could I suggest that you remove them from your post.

Chilly
N/A

Hi ashiro

You have misunderstood PlusNet's vision document.

They have not yet started to waiver deferred activations.

It some point in the future (March is my guess) they will waiver deferred activations after 12 months rather then the current 5 years.

But until this comes into force, you will have to pay up, or hold out.

Also it is against the forum rules to post agents name, could I suggest that you remove them from your post.

Chilly

I specifically checked by asking PlusNet and was told my fees had been waived:

I quote:
CSC Analyst 10:37am, Friday 26th January 2007

Dear Mr Bromley,
Your deferred charges that we deferred when you signed up with Plusnet have now been cancelled, however there are charges that reflect the deferred house move you took on 01/07/06
this will remain, so £67 of deferred costs have been removed from your account and there just remains 1 deferrement charge of £47 outstanding.

I hope this clears this matter up for you.

Regards,

And later on...

CSC Analyst 10:32am, Friday 26th January 2007

Dear Douglas Bromley,

This question is confirmation that your Deferred Hardware (Voyager 105 USB Modem) has been nullified. No payment will be taken and no further action is required by you.

CSC Analyst 10:32am, Friday 26th January 2007

Dear Douglas Bromley,

This question is confirmation that your Deferred Activation has been nullified. No payment will be taken and no further action is required by you.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

It is our intention to reduce the deferred fees to zero after one year rather than the current five years. However, as yet the work to do this hasn't been done. It will likely take a few weeks for this to complete and for those customers that have been with us longer than a year see these contracts removed.

Until this is done the cancellation fees remain the same.
N/A

Hi,

It is our intention to reduce the deferred fees to zero after one year rather than the current five years. However, as yet the work to do this hasn't been done. It will likely take a few weeks for this to complete and for those customers that have been with us longer than a year see these contracts removed.

Until this is done the cancellation fees remain the same.

So the answer I got off your support staff was a mistake?
And the two automatically generated messages I got (quoted above) were a mistake?

Wonderful. So you aren't liars - you're totally incompetent?

Please be so kind as to inform your victims of when you'll stop holding their MAC code to ransom for an extortionate amount of money.

Thanks.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

I'm sorry, but looking at a ticket from one of my colleagues on your account this was a genuine mistake from an analyst. At the moment there isn't a date set for when the deferred fees will be changed but it is likely in the next few weeks.
pepsi_max2k
Grafter

Have to say, that does look pretty bad. Will be keeping an eye on what PN have to say about this...

EDIT: ah they got in there just before me Tongue
N/A

At the moment there isn't a date set for when the deferred fees will be changed but it is likely in the next few weeks.

Well judging how Plusnet are treating their BB+ customers at the moment, that date cant come quickly enough.
I envisage more than a few people getting out the door very quickly indeed.
GersFans
Grafter

Please be so kind as to inform your victims of when you'll stop holding their MAC code to ransom for an extortionate amount of money.

Sorry but thats just wrong, I have long lost confidence in PN and in no mood to defend them, but the 'rules' are quite clear on this issue. And YOU have misinterpretated them.
loftrat
Grafter

[...]And YOU have misinterpretated them.

No.....he received a number of emails from PN saying that he wouldn't have to pay the charges - I've read the quotes above, they basically say "you won't have to pay", not a lot to misinterpret there!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

You're both right and both wrong. He got an erroneous response saying he wouldn't have to pay the activation and one saying he still had to pay the move. He was hoping the move would be waived even though it wasn't a year old.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

You're both right and both wrong. He got an erroneous response saying he wouldn't have to pay the activation and one saying he still had to pay the move. He was hoping the move would be waived even though it wasn't a year old.

For the love of f****** god.

I do NOT want the MOVE to be waived as I know it was under a year ago.

I DO want the INITIAL activation waived as they stated and confirmed in their support response!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We realise that - but the date when the waiving of the deferred fees comes in to effect hasn't been announced yet.

I'll bet my bottom dollar that it will be after the new Central comes on-line so that people who are getting poor speeds may reconsider migrating.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)