Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHYY

N/A

WHYY

Why do i have to restart my router everydayyyyyy

When i shut my PC down my router statys on all n8

but when i open my PC i get no internext connection so i have to restart my router, this has happened 4 the past week

I never had to do this ever before

Is my router faulty ?Huh
13 REPLIES
N/A

WHYY

Hi sundeepvarsani,

I dont think the problem is with your router at all, it sounds to me like your PC is loosing the connection or sync with your router and that would make complete sense if you just switch off the computer but leave the router switched on. Why? switch off the PC at all, its quite safe and possibly better to leave the computer on 24/7 as well as the router 24/7. Then you wont have this problem IMO?

**I hardly ever switch off my system its been running more or less 24/7 for the last 3 to 4 years. Juts ensure the machine has enough ventilation around the base unit. And as a precaution make sure the computer is plugged into a surge or surge & spike protector unit (this ensure's a smooth/clean power supply).

**Surge & spike units can be bought as just a simple small plug unit or better still a dedicated x6 or x8 surge & spike plug extension unit (prices vary from about £10 to £35/40). Dont under estimate the value of this equipment, its worth the costs involved to protect your computer IMO.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

WHYY

i do leave my pc open auite a bit too, but i find it too noisy cos my pc makes bit too much noise too. can i do sutin bout this can u reccomend what i can do to make it bit quieter and give links to products please

And i actually use to shut my pc down b4 and i never had this problem.
N/A

Can we think of mother nature?

Not sure of the router problem, really would need to know what type of router you are using.....

But leaving PC's on all night is really bad for the environment you know...? Extra pressure on power stations and all that soon adds up.

Personally I manage to do everything I need during waking hours, and coloacte any web services I use so as not to strain my domestic box..

And I can then save energy and switch my box off. same with TV, phone chargers etc...

Saves electricirty bills too, not by much, but by some.. and if less pwoer stations are needed, maintenance to the power companies will eventually drop too.

So, in summation - TURN OFF YOUR ELECTRICS WHEN NOT IN USE (apologies for shouting, but its important to me)
N/A

Replying Ivan

Hi mknash,

This is a myth having a PC switched on 24/7 has NO! bad effect on the environment. The amount of power a PC consumes is absolutely tiny, in a whole year a PC on 24/7 consumes about as much as x1 or possibly x2 light bulbs. Leaving a PC on 24/7 means that the system reaches a stable temperature (ambient or room temperature) and this is better for a working system than turning the system on & off all the time.

**But I guess its a very individual choice, its what you feel comfortable with. My system is located in a seperate room so the low level noise from the fans doesnt bother me but I it would if I had to live or sleep in the same room. So I can appreciate the problem.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
LiamM
Grafter

WHYY

Does the router have an Idle Timeout setting? Sounds like the router is disconnecting every night whilst you're not using the connection.
N/A

WHYY

I think my exchange was getting upgraded this week and my router started synchronsing at 2mb yesterday morning. So i think thats thereason why i had to restart router, today it worked fine
N/A

WHYY

Ah, but if you leave your PC on all the time, only switching off your display then join Grid Org the plus outweighs the minus. Also electronic components are more likely to fail being switched on and off than being permanently on!
However what I cannot understand is why it is necessary to "reset" routers once they lose connection, as mine did last night with the maintenance. Why cannot they be programmed to automatically keep trying to reconect?
N/A

WHYY

Well I use a linksys WAG54G and have 2 settings I can choose from
'Connect on demand' or 'keep alive' with a setting to check the connection every so often.
I have selected keep alive and very rarely have to reboot my router.
The only time I had to I think it still thought it was connected properly when it wasnt - funny things electrical equipment often thinks its perfect when it isntSmiley
octafish
Grafter

WHYY

Funny old thing, the environment. Even one or two light bulbs worth of power constantly and needlessly consumed becomes problematic when you multiply the effect by hundreds of thousands of computers. A couple of hundred watts soon becomes many gigawatts, ton after avoidable ton of carbon punted out into the ether.

Also, whilst constantly switching on and off wouldn't be that great for your components switching on and off after the end of a day does no harm.

Steve
CaptainFantasti
Grafter

Re: Replying Ivan

This is a myth having a PC switched on 24/7 has NO! bad effect on the environment. The amount of power a PC consumes is absolutely tiny, in a whole year a PC on 24/7 consumes about as much as x1 or possibly x2 light bulbs.

The guys at PCPro Labs would disagree with you.

They say
the killer is the PC itself: if you leave it on overnight it will quickly consume 1kWh of energy, meaning you are needlessly spending more than £35 per year.
and
We have not just grabbed these figures out of thin air. Over a 24-hour cycle, we have analysed the power consumption of a multitude of PCs, notebooks, printers and screens - both new and old.
vic_newey
Grafter

WHYY

The very fact that the PC gives out a lot of heat is a very good indication of power useage. Your router & probably your sound system etc probably have plug in transformers to drop the voltage, -feel the heat from these also
Brickinit
Grafter

WHYY

there are lots of ways to make your pc a bit quieter the anything with a fan is going to make a bit of noise. firstly your power suppy there are quieter about, then the CPU fan dependant on your MOBO you may have variable speed, you know, bit faster if system working hard, bit slower whilst idleing. or try a fanless CPU heat dispersal unit large fins to take heat away. or you could go the whole hog and build a liquid cooled system.

bit quieter and give links to products please

i must admit i,m a bit concerned you are asking these sorts of questions whilst you are offering cheap pc hardware and custom built pc but i supose we all have to start somewhere :?
N/A

WHYY

Go have a look at http://www.overclockers.co.uk.[/url]