cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHAT IS THAT?!!!! Punished for paying PlusNet?

N/A

the download/upload usage isn't just p2p usage but all usage, including video files, streaming media files, emails, http, ect? Surely the usage should and capping should only apply to like packets eg p2p packets?

Yes, it applies to everything. Doesn't downloading itself on an ADSL line upload receipt packets too? This then would also count, would it not?
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Yes, it applies to everything. Doesn't downloading itself on an ADSL line upload receipt packets too? This then would also count, would it not?

Enquired about this myself a while ago as I run servers from home and this is indeed the case Sad
N/A

Enquired about this myself a while ago as I run servers from home and this is indeed the case Sad

It's like a surcharge on downloading isn't it? So we pay for the download + 10% or so in receipt packets... lovely.
GersFans
Grafter

It's like a surcharge on downloading isn't it? So we pay for the download + 10% or so in receipt packets... lovely.

It's not until someone puts it in plain english that you understand something correctly.

With the usage caps and all the rest of the changes going on, I feel royaly shafted.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

I don't think this criticism is justified.

It has always been made totally clear that all the Plusnet bandwidth allowances are measured on all data that goes up or down your line. Receipt packets are just another form of data.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

While it has always been made clear on the forums and is understood by those of us who know how the system works and a bit about networking, I think it could be made clearer on the VMBU tool and in a few other places. From the Service Status update Mand posted yesterday, there are change sin the pipeline to clear this up Smiley
N/A

Oh great - After my eagerly anticipated MaxDSL upgrade, I was done last night whilst I had my router off to ensure I am not limited to the 3 days whilst the BRAS updates. I turned off my router last night and it was syncing at 1152kbps. I woke up this morning and turned it on again - SUCCESS - 5664kbps and SNR Margin holding at 5.6dB - good enough for my router to handle. So I quickly did a speed test. 2Mbpss = I thought that's odd - so I thought I'd just check my VMBU - OH DEAR, peak 10.8GB - my line is limited to 2Mbps for normal use - goodie!!! So now either BRAS or PlusNet are limiting me or BOTH Cheesy. Oh the FUN!!!

My billing date is 3 days - would you have guessed it!!! - so I'll be waiting that lenght of time anyway!. I've always made sure I didn't stray over but forgot last night that I was near the end of the month and was downloading a lot (2GB-ish) at 10PM - BIG MISTAKE!

And the beat goes on.....
shellsong
Grafter

Re: WHAT IS THAT?!!!! Punished for paying PlusNet?

:twisted:
OK, plusnet. Yesterday was my billing day and the usage was reset to a new level.
I also raised a question via ticket about my external usenet server as I've been trying unsuccessfully download a 60 mb file and asked to compensate my payment ot the external news provider and today received this:

Dear Mr ...........................,

As a Broadband Premier customer, you receive a monthly peak-time usage
allowance of 15GB. This allowance ensures that everyone gets a fair share
of our network resources during peak hours (4pm - Midnight).

Your peak-time usage for this billing month* just exceeded 12.5GB.

Increased restrictions will now apply to your connection speeds until the
end of the current billing month. The restrictions won't affect most of
your internet activities, such as browsing, emails or gaming.

We would have notified you when you reached 10GB to give you an opportunity
to avoid these restrictions, however, you had exceeded 12.5GB before our
alert email could be triggered.

Your peak-time usage for this billing month* just exceeded 12.5GB - That is very bad joke. I understand that somebody didn't like me asking to compensate my monthly payment to Usenetserver.com. Even it is a computer error, it is VERY BAD error. Your system is not working.
Please, DO restore my usage to normal.
:roll: blin!

My experience yesterday mirrors that of russica and I'm extremely annoyed by the inepitude of whoever it is that has set up the routines that govern the way these things are managed!

The email appears to make the assumption that last month's usage employed the same criteria as the :roll: "upgraded" :roll: package just initiated and I have yet to see an email correcting this. This is akin to the way in which PlusNet employed the newly minted SUP retrospectively in September 2005 and seems to demonstrate that their poor management skills and inability to learn from past stupidity knows no bounds!
shellsong
Grafter

I would still like to know why on my billing date I recieved a similar email to russica's
Your username: shellsong

Dear Mr Xxxxxxx Xxxxxxx

As a Broadband Premier customer, you receive a monthly peak-time usage
allowance of 15GB. This allowance ensures that everyone gets a fair share
of our network resources during peak hours (4pm - Midnight).

Your peak-time usage for this billing month* just exceeded 12.5GB.

Increased restrictions will now apply to your connection speeds until the
end of the current billing month. The restrictions won't affect most of
your internet activities, such as browsing, emails or gaming.

We would have notified you when you reached 10GB to give you an opportunity
to avoid these restrictions, however, you had exceeded 12.5GB before our
alert email could be triggered.

The email header said "Peak-time usage - you have used 14.1GB this billing month" which in fact was last month's figures for 4pm - Midnight when the account was under the old Premier criteria

I have not raised a ticket querying this yet and would assume that this is likely to be a one off event caused by poor scripting of the management routine being caught out by the account changeover hiatus but it would be nice to hear from someone who knows what they're talking about if such a person exists!

I would also hope that this does not mean that any form of management has been placed on my account at the beginning of the billing period!
Sandro
Grafter

... -<snipped>-
I would also hope that this does not mean that any form of management has been placed on my account at the beginning of the billing period!

shellsong, the management had been placed on my account right upon the payment and consequently the beginning of another billing month - it was likely to be a bad script as you said. It was lifted later, not sure whether it was done manually or automatically. Looks like you are removed from that management as well, but I would check to be on the safe side...
That was a very ridiculous situation and was very unpleasant experience.

Luckily I had moved my sons (they are heavy bandwidth users) to NTL cable a couple of days before it happened and avoided being blamed for PlusNet problems... Wink