cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHAT IS THAT?!!!! Punished for paying PlusNet?

Sandro
Grafter

:twisted:
OK, plusnet. Yesterday was my billing day and the usage was reset to a new level.
I also raised a question via ticket about my external usenet server as I've been trying unsuccessfully download a 60 mb file and asked to compensate my payment ot the external news provider and today received this:

Dear Mr ...........................,

As a Broadband Premier customer, you receive a monthly peak-time usage
allowance of 15GB. This allowance ensures that everyone gets a fair share
of our network resources during peak hours (4pm - Midnight).

Your peak-time usage for this billing month* just exceeded 12.5GB.

Increased restrictions will now apply to your connection speeds until the
end of the current billing month. The restrictions won't affect most of
your internet activities, such as browsing, emails or gaming.

We would have notified you when you reached 10GB to give you an opportunity
to avoid these restrictions, however, you had exceeded 12.5GB before our
alert email could be triggered.

Your peak-time usage for this billing month* just exceeded 12.5GB - That is very bad joke. I understand that somebody didn't like me asking to compensate my monthly payment to Usenetserver.com. Even it is a computer error, it is VERY BAD error. Your system is not working.
Please, DO restore my usage to normal.
:roll: blin!
39 REPLIES
Sandro
Grafter

I have just looked at my New counter and it says I downloaded 76 GB this month... It means I downloaded 76 Gb in the night. That's cool! Well done, plusnet Wink

And why my usenet usage was also restricted to zero last month while I didn't cross your "old" imposed limits? :shock:
Mand
Grafter

Hi

Your billing date is today.

You will shortly receive an email advising that the bandwidth has been reset and traffic management has been lifted.

Your peak time usage this month was 14GB which means level 2 restrictions were correctly placed on your account.
N/A

I really despise this throttling. We pay for a 15GB peak limit, so why not impose heavy throttling after we breach this and not when we reach, what, 10GB? This is a total farce. I think I download about 20-30GB per month in a heavy usage month and stray up to about 9GB peak usage.

Basically, if you stray over, you pay and get throttled; not this we are trying to help you not exceed your limit. That I feel is a childish nanny-like method of controlling usage. Once my max is enabled I think I'll make the jump. I have had 2.5 very good years with Plusnet but things have really tumbled recently and I've become a bit disgruntled with the service.

So for the record, when exactly do the limits come in and how strong are they and when is usage reset, on the billing day or on the day payment is actually taken?
N/A

I really despise this throttling. We pay for a 15GB peak limit, so why not impose heavy throttling after we breach this and not when we reach, what, 10GB? This is a total farce. I think I download about 20-30GB per month in a heavy usage month and stray up to about 9GB peak usage.

It sounds like the Payasyougo 10GB (£19.99) option would have been perfect for you
N/A

Mand, for months people have had these problems and the reasoning was that the whole process was manual and that the automation would stop these errors. Now that automation has been rolled out, how come it's still happening?
JonathanW
Grafter

So for the record, when exactly do the limits come in and how strong are they and when is usage reset, on the billing day or on the day payment is actually taken?

This depends which package you are on, but looking at it you're on Premier Option 1, in which case your speeds start to be reduced when you hit 10GB of peak time usage. Its slowed down in steps between there and 15GB, when p2p/nntp is stopped during the peak slot.

As for when it is reset, this happens on the day that your account is billed, in the same way as your VMBU data is reset for the month.
N/A

It sounds like the Payasyougo 10GB (£19.99) option would have been perfect for you

Difficult to say. Their "peak time" technically is 8am-midnight, but the Premier is 4pm-midnight. As long as there is little traffic from 8am-4pm then he'd be fine on it.

*edited for spelling..sheesh!*
N/A

I felt that for the extra £2 per month I would also have the ability to utilise the off peak hours also (I usually hit about 10GB off peak usage per month) and the extra webspace and domain name appealed. I do indeed schedule downloads but only because I have to. I signed up 2.5 years ago when +net was totally uncapped. I know people harp on about this but slowly it has been getting more restrictive. I was in full support of the FUP of what, 30GB or so per month however the new system I depise. I specifically limit my downloading and keep an eye on the peak usage so as not to be throttled but this is not ideal and when my Uni finals finish and I resume playing games peak time, this will become more difficult.

Still, thank you for the answer regarding the throttling, I'll keep it in mind, not that I use any newsnet or p2p anyway.
Sandro
Grafter

Hi

Your billing date is today.

You will shortly receive an email advising that the bandwidth has been reset and traffic management has been lifted.

Your peak time usage this month was 14GB which means level 2 restrictions were correctly placed on your account.

I must be an idiot, but I would like to point out that 14 Gb were used during the LAST MONTH, not this one. I was under the old rules and can not be penalized for the rules imposed on me starting today. Do you realize what you are saying?

You can't do this, it is a sharp practice. The usage was reset yesterday to zero, but now I see a funny figure of 76 Gb - where did you get it from?

Please, RESTORE MY USAGE TO ZERO. I used neither 76 Gb nor 14 GB this billing month.
Just got this one:
Username russica

We are pleased to be able to inform you that a member of our Customer Support
Centre has now returned ticket number [ 19237610 ] to yourself.

The following comment was added to the ticket
Dear Mr Krupin,
Your account is being managed as you have used 14GB during peak times this month.

During peak times Usenet/P2P/FTP traffic will be limited to up to 128Kbps, outside of these hours it will be upto 1MB.

I would't mind those speed, but I do throttled to zero (with occasional bursts). For several days already, before my billing.

PS. Sorry, Mandy, I didn't read your reply in the ticket in full. My apology. As I understand the management would be lifted today or tomorrow.
Still I can not understand how I can be managed if I was still under the "old rules" traffic?
N/A

JonWhiting
This depends which package you are on, but looking at it you're on Premier Option 1, in which case your speeds start to be reduced when you hit 10GB of peak time usage. Its slowed down in steps between there and 15GB, when p2p/nntp is stopped during the peak slot

So say i was one of the lucky ones who got 8Mb max dsl and i used 10Gb of my 15Gb allowance for P2P what % would i be throttled by ?
JonathanW
Grafter

The management for each of the current accounts is listed on this page, which also details what kind of speeds you will see at each of the management levels.
N/A

Hi jon

I looked at the link you shown and its says after 10GB P2P speeds drop down to 256kbs thats one hell of a drop from 8000kbs.

Dont you think thats a bit drastic?
N/A

Hi jon

I looked at the link you shown and its says after 10GB P2P speeds drop down to 256kbs thats one hell of a drop from 8000kbs.

Dont you think thats a bit drastic?
I think it's ridiculous merely because we haven't gone over our limit. If we do, they can charge us - surely it's more beneficial to them rather than having us moan that we are being throttled before even exceeding our monthly allowance.
aeroalfie
Grafter

At which point ( or at any point) you can schedule 100GB of downloads for the rest of the day (16 hours off peak) with minimal slow down.