cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WAP Hosting

N/A

WAP Hosting

Any one know if it's possible to host WAP pages on PlusNet's webserver? From the little I know, it seems that it's all about enabling the right MIME classes.

To be honest, I don't know what I'd use it for, but if I could try it out I might find a use!!

Aid
--
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: WAP Hosting

> Any one know if it's possible to host WAP pages on PlusNet's webserver? From the little I know, it seems that it's all about enabling the right MIME classes.
Hi Aid,
We currently have no plans to introduce WML functionality to our webserver platform at present - though if this does turn around we will make an announcement.
I think mobile devices are moving towards HTML/XML compliance and away from WAP as it happens, but that's just my personal opinion.
Regards,
Mike
--
| Mike Grice.....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..............http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
benoh
Grafter

RE: WAP Hosting

> > Any one know if it's possible to host WAP pages on PlusNet's webserver? From the little I know, it seems that it's all about enabling the right MIME classes.
>
> Hi Aid,
>
> We currently have no plans to introduce WML functionality to our webserver platform at present - though if this does turn around we will make an announcement.
>

It is possible Mike, as above you just need to enable the correct MIME times with a .htaccess file..

A quick google search brought up this to put in your .htaccess

AddType text/vnd.wap.wml wml
AddType text/vnd.wap.wmlscript wmls
AddType image/vnd.wap.wbmp wbmp
AddType application/vnd.wap.wmlc wmlc
AddType application/vnd.wap.wmlscriptc wmlsc

I'll see about adding these into the main server config when I'm next in, cant see it being a problem as its possible to override it anyway.

Ben O'Hara
Systems Engineer
Plusnet Technologies Ltd.