cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista - USB Internet driver

verguide

Does anyone know when the above drivers will become available; and where I might get one when they do become available? (Getting fed up with the ethernet/router system dropping out!
Hampshire Nerd
9 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

The best source to answer this question should be the support section of the manufacturer's website - whoever that might be.

An Ethernet modem router shouldn't be continuously dropping out. I certainly prefer that type of connection to USB. Why not post details of your system here including firmware version with sync rate, noise margin and line attenuation (downstream and upstream)? This might give a clue to the cause of the problem.

David
David
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Which USB modem is it? Most USB modems don't have Vista support and a lot of manufacturers have said they won't be supplying them either (including the Voyager 105).
N/A

Hi,

Which USB modem is it? Most USB modems don't have Vista support and a lot of manufacturers have said they won't be supplying them either (including the Voyager 105).

You could try using a windows 98 driver as a last resort

Michael
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Not really sure how that would help. The architecture of Vista is completely different to previous versions of Windows.
N/A

nope its true got the info from microsoft if a driver will not work under vista it may work with a win 98 driver.

Vista is very much like windows 98 underneath if you think we had loads of trouble with with 98 & 98se most drivers never worked in the early days i.e video cards suffered due to lack of drivers which worked one friend has never been able to print to his laser fax machine since then.

its worth a try

Michael
ps vista did not make me go WOW
astarsolutions
Grafter

Vista is very much like windows 98 underneath

Out of interest where did you read that, it sounds like complete crap
N/A

Vista is very much like windows 98 underneath

Out of interest where did you read that, it sounds like complete crap

so you say its crap Thats helpful

what I tried to get across was that win98se drivers caused loads of problems with the lack of drivers when released.

Microsft did not release code until very late in the day for vista so we have driver problems again like we did with win98.

I tried using mediaface 5 so I could print lables in vista but it does not work. They suggested I installed the win98 version and it worked!!!

In addition my friends laser fax works if installed with win 98 drivers.

Michael
N/A

If no Vista driver works then the best alternative would be XP then Windows 2000 as all 3 OS are built around the same driver models. Win9x drivers are the least likely to work.

The core code of Vista is nothing like win9x. In fact MS dropped the Win9x codebase when they abandoned Me. Modern OS are built on an NT type codebase.
N/A

If no Vista driver works then the best alternative would be XP then Windows 2000 as all 3 OS are built around the same driver models. Win9x drivers are the least likely to work.

Nope not true vista will not work with win xp or 2000 drivers. Give it a try with win98 driver as a last resort!!!

I ONLY MEAN the win98 drivers not the OS software. I used it under mediaface 4 for printing and yes it did work!!!!

Note My Navman satnav will not work under vista it states their is no device but it will show up with win98 driver

Michael