cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virus hoax

N/A

Virus hoax

The teddy-bear virus hoax seems to be doing the rounds again. If you get a message urging you to delete jdbgmgr.exe, don't. It's a system file and it's supposed to be there.

I thought that one would have petered out by now.
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Virus hoax

> The teddy-bear virus hoax seems to be doing the rounds again. If you get a message urging you to delete jdbgmgr.exe, don't. It's a system file and it's supposed to be there.
>
> I thought that one would have petered out by now.

Thanks for the warning. I've just received a message saying delete the file. From a French Holiday Villa web site I used 1 year ago!

hjm
shellsong
Grafter

Ah, but you must beware the deadly Windows virus! If you have a file on your computer called "kernel32.dll" then delete it post haste! The best option would be to totally reformat your hard drive.

--
The author accepts no responsibility for idiots. Wink
N/A

The above person should be shot at dawn, preferrably with a blunt sawn off !!
Just ignore the reference to deleting the file and formatting your hard drive.

Malki

PS Plusnet should delete the above post and this one...if they do.
shellsong
Grafter

Pah, some people just have no sense of humour. Look at the similarities between windows and a virus...

They both do things without the user's permission.
They both cripple your system.
They both add insecurities to your system.
They both attempt to give remote root previladges to a third party (Ie Microsoft).

Ah well, sorry if I offended anyone. I'll keep my odd sense of humour to my self.
N/A

just get a virus checker then your know your safe. Simple rule is dont open anything in email you dont know, especially .scr files . Kazza is pain too , you think your getting a mp3 or a picture and voila some one sends u a back door trojen.
elton
Grafter

> just get a virus checker then your know your safe. Simple rule is dont open anything in email you dont know, especially .scr files . Kazza is pain too , you think your getting a mp3 or a picture and voila some one sends u a back door trojen.

I've never once had a trojan from Kazaa in 3000+ downloads. How would you recognise one? Or maybe I've had a few hundred and didn't notice? I use Kazaa Lite though, so could that be why I've never had one?
--
Skonko!
N/A

I only kmow cos my nortons virus checker says , its deleted that file i just downloaded cos its a back door trojan. And before you get to see it, its gone . i ve had 2 while trying to get a no cd fixed for civ3 this week. I like to have all my games to work so i dont have to look for Cds.
shellsong
Grafter

If you only use Kazaa for downloading mp3s and videos you won't get a virus, it's only executable files which can contain virii or trojans. Simply make sure the files you download don't have the extensions, .exe .bat .com .src or .vbs (or an archive* containing one of these) and you should be alright. Any executables you do download, make sure you check with a trustworthy virus scanner first. And Lunix users should simply chmod 0 on execute for any files they haven't scanned.

*eg .zip, .rar, .tar, .tar.gz, .tar.bz2, etc.