cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virus footer

RobDickson
Grafter

Virus footer

I expect that this has already been asked, but I can't find the answer to it.

Automatic footers are one of my major dislikes on e-mails. Is there a way of disabling the "This email has been verified as Virus free Virus Protection and more available at http://www.plus.net" footer on all my incoming e-mails, without disabling the virus checking itself?

There doesn't seem to be a setting in the virus checking section.
16 REPLIES
N/A

Virus footer

To my knowledge, currently you can't change this. However I seem to recall it being suggested, so it may change in the future.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Virus footer

Unfortunately this cannot be done without removing the anti-virus service.

We are hoping that we will be able to turn this on and off in future versions of the anti-virus platform.
RobDickson
Grafter

Virus footer

Since I haven't received a virus for the last 12 months, and run NAV, so have never actually been infected by a virus, I think I'm safe to turn the PlusNet anti-virus service off until the footer can be removed. I'll be keeping the Spam filter though.

Thanks for the advice.
N/A

Virus footer

Since I haven't received a virus for the last 12 months, and run NAV, so have never actually been infected by a virus, I think I'm safe to turn the PlusNet anti-virus service off

Utter madness espcially with NAV. There are always new viruses being written every day, and these days even one anti-virus package isn't enough. Why take the risk?

It's only a footer
holdtight
Grafter

Virus footer

Agreed totally ! ive got my system locked down to within an inch of its life and i would rather put up with an email footer than turn the+net AV off
RobDickson
Grafter

Virus footer

I think that "untter madness" is a bit strong, but I do agree that it is only a footer that I can delete, although I don't know why you dislike NAV so much.

Since I'm not stupid enough to open attachments that I'm not expecting, there's actually an argument that I don't need a virus checker at all. I don't subscribe to this argument, but it's not a bad one.

To be honest, I think that I'm more likely to be infected by accidently visiting a dodgy site, than opening a virus attached to an e-mail. The PlusNet virus checker won't, of course, protect me against that, but a PC-based virus checker will.
N/A

Virus footer

Since I'm not stupid enough to open attachments that I'm not expecting, there's actually an argument that I don't need a virus checker at all

Opening attachments is not the only way to allow your system to become compromised.

Perhaps a read of this tutorial might help you and others understand some of the dangers that exist in the wild at present and the need for maximum protection at all times. You might then understand why Aaron said what he did.
N/A

Virus footer

The only way to avoid the risk of viruses, is to leave your machine switched off!
Given that this is not practical, we MUST all secure our systems to the max!

Folks who do not install total virus protection, are not only affecting themselves, but also increasing the risk for the rest of us.

Not having AV installed should be deemed to be as antisocial as drink driving (OK not comparable, apologies for anybody that statement upsets, but really it needs to be taken seriously by us all)
N/A

Virus footer

robdickson,

NAV used to be really good, but sadly it's lacking these day as it heavy relies on updates and it's very resource intensive.
You need an Anti-virus which employes heuristic checking as well.

I currently have two anti-virus packages on my machine, and I still consider that I'm at risk. New viruses are being written everyday, and they don't just come in attachements, they can be written into javascripts in web pages.

I guess maybe I was little harsh, but I never understand the need to take a risk over something so little as a footer, it doesn't add up. I went years before I had viruses though e-mail, but now I get them often.
RobDickson
Grafter

Virus footer

I guess I've gone for years without having been infected by a virus (either at work, or at home), so I feel extra protection is a little bit much. I've never tried having two virus checkers installed at once, I have a feeling that it might slow down my PC somewhat, but I'd be interested to know whether you find that. I agree that NAV and NIS are very resource intensive, but I don't find that they slow down my PC too much.

NAV2004 does have "Bloodhound heuristic checking". I don't know how it compares to that on other products, but it is an option.

With a NAT firewall, NIS2004 firewall, NAV2004 virus checker, AdAware, Spyware Blaster, SpyBot, WinXP-SP2, and the latest security updates, I had always considered my PCs to be very secure. However, as you point out, another level of protection that doesn't slow my PC down can't do any harm. Maybe I'll just put up with the footer.
N/A

Virus footer

Running two interactive virus checkers will slow your machine down. I use NOD32 as my main virus checker but I have Kaspersky installed as an on-demand scanner. This way to two programs don't really clash but I'm better covered.

As for bloodhound heurstics, I would enable it, if you've not done so already.

If you want to see the difference in performance, download a trial copy of NOD32 and run a full scan, and you'll note how quickly it will scan though your hard disk. I choose NOD32 for three reasons, it's cheap £27 (last time I checked), very fast and light on resource and finally it has very good heurstics.
Kaspersky on the other hand is much slower and more resource intenstive, but like NOD32 it has a very good track record in regards to Viruses.
RobDickson
Grafter

Virus footer

I've got everything enabled in NAV, and almost everything enabled in NPF. The length of time to run a scan doesn't really matter to me, since I just leave the PC running and go and do something else. What is important to me, as well as performance, is being familiar with software as important as virus checking and firewalls. I am very familiar with NIS, so that's why I still use it.

Thanks for all the comments.
holdtight
Grafter

Virus footer

After a recommendation from Aaron (gadgetboy) in a previous post some time ago i changed from NAV to Nod32
i had been fairly happy with norton in previous versions untill it became total bloatware and very very slow i was up to Ver 2003 systemworks
since changing to nod32 i wont have anything else and can highly recommend the change as Aaron did for me, its very fast easy to use and hasnt got the huge footprint of NAV and most importantly its not let anything through
N/A

Virus footer

robdickson,

Being happy with a package is an important issue, and ultimately everyone has their own ideas about that they are happy using.

You only have to ask people which they feel is the best bit of software and you'll get quite a few different answers.

If in the future you fancy a change, then let me know or post a topic in here. It's always worth looking around come renewal time Smiley