Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virus emails from a UK ISP

oliverb
Grafter

Some advice please

For several days we have been recieving emails to bogus mailboxes with the usual dubious attachment, probably "mydoom". Sender is always fake.

A significant number of them trace back to one IP, a DSL customer of a UK ISP (NOT PLUSNET).

Now that ISP has not responded to complaints to abuse@ or postmaster@ and appears content to let the situation continue.

They even have the cheek to have a virus filter on their abuse mailbox that rejects virus complaints unless the attachment is stripped.

Is there anything else I can do. Ignoring it is fine except that clearly the virus is also sending out emails with our address as the return address, I've seen the bounce report.

I'm not naming the ISP but Plusnet know who they are...
4 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

You'll sometimes find that some ISP's don't respond to the abuse addresses because they aren't always able to reply with any information due to the Data Protection Act. However, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be acting upon that information.

Have you searched on Ripe's Whois in case the ISP in question has a different abuse address?
oliverb
Grafter

I finally got an acnowledgement this morning, so I'm satisfied.

I think I wrote to their customer services address that time, so I still suspect that their abuse@ is a nul mailbox.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

With the amount of MyDoom virii out there they are probably swamped with people infected with it. Glad you've got response and hopefully they'll get themselves sorted out.
oliverb
Grafter

I got another acknowledgement this morning and a clear inbox. I don't know how much that is down to Plusnet's work and how much down to mine but it's good anyway.