cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virus Spam

N/A

Virus Spam

Can somebody from Plusnet help me please? For the last 3 days ive been recieving viruses through my email. Ive had about 12 now and its annoying me because at least with Outlook i can just create a rule to delete spam. But with these viruses i cant because it still has to be downloaded to my computer before outlook can do anything. I raised a ticket almost 12 hours ago but have had no reply. Please can someone help me as im getting sick of recieving these viruses.

Thanks. Sad
17 REPLIES
vic_newey
Grafter

Virus Spam

does your virus program, norton or whatever, not simply intercept & auto delete them?
N/A

Virus Spam

I got norton set up to warn me of them and give me option to Quarantine them. Then i delete them.
Community Veteran

Virus Spam

There is nothing PlusNet can do to stop people sending your email with virus attachments. You can sign up for their pay for security package which will scan all incoming email you receive and mark the email as infected but will still not actually delete them.

Often the sender in the email is spoofed - i.e. not the real person sending it so it's virtually impossible for meer users to find out where it originated from and even if you did the chances are they have moved on and started sending from somewhere else.

Your only real option is to do what you are doing and run a local virus scanner on all incoming mail.

It is unfortuneate but what you are seeing is all too common now. It is estimated that over 50% of all emails sent are thought to be spam or virus related so your chances of getting them are very high.
lhorwath
Grafter

Virus Spam

We've had a couple of people commenting about this, so our network team had a look and it looks like we have been updating our virus checker by IDE not by zip file. On the sophos website, they say this is ok, but we are looking to update by zip files instead just in case IDE upgrades are not includingall viruses.

regards

Luke
Community Veteran

Virus Spam

Is cubemaster signed up for the security package? If not the above does not apply in this case.
N/A

Virus Spam

No im not signed up for it. I guess im just gonn ahave to live with it. Just a pain cos i get about 5 a day. Today i got more than that Sad

Thanks for the info Sad
oliverb
Grafter

Virus Spam

Keep things in perspective.

If you are recieving virus attachments it usually means someone has an infected machine and is unknowingly sending them. Deliberate virus "drops" are rare, though obviously they must happen at the beginning of an outbreak.

Added comment: The sender shown by your mail reader is almost always fake, don't bother writing to them.

Virus emails are relatively easy to trace, since the header contains relatively few hops. If you have SMTP mail there may be no hops at all, just your server and the infected machine. Run the IP of the infected machine through "whois" and get an ISP abuse contact.

Write a POLITE note to the ISP informing them of the virus, include the text of the message header and ascii part of the message but not the actual attachment as this may be rejected by their anti-virus.

If the ISP is any good they will pass on the warning and the owner will dissinfect their PC, then the messages will cease or at least reduce. On a good day the ISP may even confirm this.

Note that during "Mydoom.A" we had a significant problem but I believe less than ten infected systems ever targetted us during the entire outbreak, therefore each "kill" meant a substantial reduction in messages.
Ianwild
Grafter

Virus Spam

I should just add to Coaxial's post that our abuse department are only in a position to deal with reports about our customers who have a virus infection...

Regards,

Ian
N/A

Mailwasher

Cubemaster - have a look at Mailwasher...lets you see what mail is waiting and lets you delete it long before it gets to your machine...it's free.
www.mailwasher.net
Eserim
Rising Star

Virus Spam

Until the weekend I was getting about 1 email with MyDoom (the original one) every hour or so. Which were sent to a variety of names @mydomain.co.uk

Then I decided to take action.

Using the list here

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.novarg.a@mm.html

I added all the names to my mail forwards and set them to forward to

blackhole@abuse.plus.com

It took a while and subsequent version use different names but I have stopped them for now.

Of course if yuor name is on the list the tough luck

Chris
N/A

Virus Spam

I installed Mailwasher this morning and its working fine. Its bouncing back the fake microsoft emails that contain the viruses. Good bit of software Mailwasher is Smiley
csogilvie
Grafter

Virus Spam

DON'T bounce the messages using MailWasher - you just cause even more problems for the poor person who's email has been used and isn't the one with the virus!!!
oliverb
Grafter

Virus Spam

I've stopped sending copies of complaints to plusnet. I used to include abuse@plus.net on the basis that one ISP is more likely to take notice of another ISP but I guess plusnet don't have the time to follow up problems that are not directly related to their service. This is perfectly reasonable.
N/A

Virus Spam

I just got a virus downloading from claranews - a so called "clean" subscription service"

NOT impressed lol - luckily i'd just updated norton