cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View someone elses usage

ukbrown
Grafter

View someone elses usage

My PC was off between 13th (5am) and 16th of February and VMU shows I have downloaded 10.66GB

How exactly is this possible ?? (I was in Prague)

10GB of chatter is not really an option as we would all be downloading over 100gb a month
15 REPLIES
N/A

View someone elses usage

Hi ukbrown,

If you read through some of the most recent forum subjects & postings then you would have seen that F9 PN have had some problems with the data shown by the VMBU tool and that this was admitted by F9 and it has now been corrected (put right, resolved) but your stats still sound way out, if that IS the case and it sounds like it then open a support ticket and ask them to have a look at that IMO.

Ivan
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

View someone elses usage

Hi,

Some of the usage has had to averaged out because the fix to the problem with VMBU meant that we were unable to display certain days seperately. The total figures for the entire period was averaged out across those days.

Take a look at each day's usage for that time, the figures should be pretty similar because it's taken the usage for those days and probably a day or two either side and taken the mean.
ukbrown
Grafter

View someone elses usage

My computer was off .

I may have donwloaded at most 3GB.

Monday 13th Midnight to 5am (when i turned my pc off) and 1hour on the 16th when I turned my PC on.

The rest of the time my PC was OFF. You claim that in this time 6 hours I downloaded 10GB, this is just not possible.

Granted I forgot to turn my router off hence the high figure of 3GB that I have allowed for as there will always be some chatter.

Come on PN get real !!!!
N/A

View someone elses usage

Some of the usage has had to averaged out

because it's taken the usage for those days and probably a day or two either side and taken the mean.

Sorry Dave, I'm not clear.

Are you saying that the total usage for the whole period is correct, but the values shown on individual days may be higher or lower than the real usage due to the averaging process? (ie days that were v.high may appear lower, because some of their figures are included in other [lower] days?)

Or are you saying the individual days were recalculated based on the figures you did have for days on either side?

Or put another way if the REAL figures for a five day period were :

1Gig, 3Gig, 1Gig, 3Gig, 2Gig = 10Gig

And the Wednesday in my example wasn't known to you, would the VMBU show :-

a) 2Gig, 2Gig, 2Gig, 2Gig, 2Gig = 10Gig
-or-
b) 1Gig, 3Gig, 3Gig, 3Gig, 2Gig = 12Gig

?
N/A

View someone elses usage

My computer was off .

I may have donwloaded at most 3GB.

Monday 13th Midnight to 5am (when i turned my pc off) and 1hour on the 16th when I turned my PC on.

The rest of the time my PC was OFF. You claim that in this time 6 hours I downloaded 10GB, this is just not possible.

Granted I forgot to turn my router off hence the high figure of 3GB that I have allowed for as there will always be some chatter.

Come on PN get real !!!!

Hi ukbrown
I too am having a similar problem with the VMU showing I have used 10GB more than netmonitor records for the period 11th Feb to the 17th Feb. This is NOT as a result of the "averaging out" of usage that they are talking about here as these figures were showing up in the VMU BEFORE they applied this fix not after!

If I were you I would definitely open a ticket. They have just escalated my own ticket about this for further investigation.
ukbrown
Grafter

View someone elses usage

I have opened a ticket. They replied to say that it had been fixed.

The figures have not changed in any way, they ahve not done anything to my usage.

Totally unresponsive. Dave Tomlinson's reply is pretty much an indicator of what to expect. A re explanation of the problem, not a fix or and admission of fault
ukbrown
Grafter

View someone elses usage

Apparently this cannot be fixed, according to the contact us ticket. They have estimated usage based on the days outside the missing periods, when I just happened to be in Prague and turned my PC off

If plusnet were still a listening company then instead of just estimating figures out of thin air they would have just put zero's in for the days they were not sure about, thus keeping everybody happy.

Again absolute total rubbish service.

What happened to the old plusnet HuhHuhHuh
quelquod
Rising Star

View someone elses usage

In my case the VMU is showing over twice my actual usage as indicated by the total of the various days' usages. Since I'm on PAYG this will likely result in my being overcharged. No indication that they are prepared to do anything about this possibly since this is to F9's benefit. Turning steadily into a technically incompetent money-grabbing organisation.

And of course it could be fixed if anyone cared enough - not prepared to spend the effort more accurately. Same sort of view as makes emailing customers with useful information impossible but emailing the same customers with sales propaganada straightforwards eh?
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
ukbrown
Grafter

View someone elses usage

I still say why did they just not write it off as their problem and set the usage to zero for the days they missed.

What gets me is the total lack of foresight in the decisions that they make. They must know that if they estiamte usage, some customers will feel cheated as there is no way they have used what is claimed.

Time and time and tiem again, they keep on doing stupid things.

BUT - better the devil you know ......... maybe !!!! Huh?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

View someone elses usage

Are you saying that the total usage for the whole period is correct, but the values shown on individual days may be higher or lower than the real usage due to the averaging process? (ie days that were v.high may appear lower, because some of their figures are included in other [lower] days?)

That's pretty much what we did. For the period between about 12th and 20th February we didn't have complete breakdowns of every customers usage via the RADIUS data. Normally we store the infomation at regular intervals between 15 minutes and 2 hours, so looking at the raw data we know your exact usage each day between each of midnight to 8am, 8am to 4pm and 4pm to midnight.

The problem we had meant some of these individual breakdown figures were missing. We knew the total amount used between the days, just not when during each day this usage was used.

What we did was to just average that usage out across the days.

So let's say you actually did the following (the brackets showing the three time periods)

12th - 5GB (2,2,1)
13th - 2GB (1,1,0)
14th - 0GB (0,0,0)
15th - 6GB (2,2,2)
16th - 1GB (1,0,0)
17th - 2GB (1,0,1)
18th - 7GB (6,0,1)
19th - 3GB (2,0,1)
20th - 1GB (1,0,0)

Also the system may have recorded some of the broken down usage correctly during that period. For example it may know the data for the 19th

What the system did was add up the that usage (24GB) and divide it by the number of days (Cool to get an average of 3GB per day. Which it then split in 3 for each of the three time periods and so display the following.

12th - 3GB (1,1,1)
13th - 3GB (1,1,1)
14th - 3GB (1,1,1)
15th - 3GB (1,1,1)
16th - 3GB (1,1,1)
17th - 3GB (1,1,1)
18th - 3GB (1,1,1)
19th - 3GB (2,0,1)
20th - 3GB (1,1,1)

This isn't perfect, but something had to be done with the data, it couldn't just be set as zero because then the daily figures would have been different to the totals.

I should note that this data isn't used to determine the management on any account. So if any peak time usage here has been over-estimated this isn't used to determine whether you would be managed or not. That data comes from a seperate source through the Ellacoyas. At the moment there isn't an interface between VMBU (although there will be soon) so we can't display the Ellaooya data instead yet.
ukbrown
Grafter

View someone elses usage

still do not get it, here are my figures. Computer OFF on dates 13th-16th

Sat 11th 15.75
Sun 12th 14.48
13th 2.99
14 th 2.55
15th 2.55
16th 2.57
17th 3.28
18th 2.55
19th 2.55
20th 2.55
21 1.58
22 1.91
23 986.34

I can see where you ahve averaged at 2.55 strange how it is between two dates when I used the computer strange how it is 2.55 again. So you claim that on between the 13th and 17th when my computer was off I downloaded over 10GB. You have not even botherered to verify my computer was off, you have just accepted the figures.

I frankly think that you do not know what you did between the 12th and 20th as according to you all my figures should be the same.

THERE IS LIES, DAMM LIES and PEOPLE WHO CANNOT DO MATHS
N/A

View someone elses usage

OUWCH!!! :roll:
N/A

View someone elses usage

If I'm reading Dave's reply correctly, what they are saying is that between the 12th and the 20th they may or maynot know your exact usage for a particular day/period.

They did however know the total used between the 12th and the 20th (36.07 in your case).

If they know a particular day, they used the correct figures (such as 3.28 on the 17th, etc.).

They knew the totals, they knew the total of the "accurate figures" and subtracted one from the other to get an "total unknown".

They then divided the "total unknown" by the number of unknown days and applied the average to each and every day they didn't know (in your case, getting 2.55 for 5 days out of those 9 days).

The total usage remains the same, but individual days maybe higher or lower than was really used.

In your case, looking at the figures, they knew the figures on the 13th, 17th and 18th (despite those being days they might not have known) - but didn't know the 14th to the 16th, nor the 19th and 20th.

You say you the computer wasn't used between the 13th and the 16th. So that would be zero. But presumably it was used from the 16th to the 20th. Based on your usage, I guess you used slightly more than 2.55 on Sat 18th and Sun 19th.

I think F9 are saying that between the 13th and the 20th you used 21.59Gig - but there are days when they aren't sure when you used it.

If the figures had showed :-

11th - 15.75 rather than 15.75 (Sat)
12th - 14.48 14.48 (Sun)
13th - 2.99 2.99 (Mon)
14th - 0.00 2.55 (Tue)
15th - 0.00 2.55 (Wed)
16th - 2.57 2.57 (Thu)
17th - 3.28 3.28 (Fri)
18th - 4.88 2.55 (Sat)
19th - 4.88 2.55 (Sun)
20th - 2.99 2.55 (Mon)
21st - 1.58 1.58 (Tue)
22nd - 1.91 1.91 (Wed)
======= =======
55.31 55.31

Would you have been surprised? (ie they show zero for the 14th/15th, but 4.88 instead of 2.55 for the 19th/20th)

Even my example is based on various assumptions, I've assumed you use a lot more on on Sat/Sun's than the rest of the week. I've assumed you use 2.99 on Mondays. I've assumed you used 2.99 on the 13th between midnight and 5am when you switched the computer off. (Could you have d/l'd 2.99 in 5 hours? - since you d/l'd 14.48 on the previous day - possibly). I am also assuming that you used the computer on the 16th when you got home (2.57)

Also from Dave's message, I am assuming that the days when they took a best guess average (of 2.55), they split it as 0.85 / 0.85 / 0.85 between the 3 different usage periods.

Based on my figures, between the 13th and the 16th you downloaded 5.56(2.99 between midnight and 5am on the 13th and 2.57 during the hour the computer was switch on during the 16th). 2.57 seems a little high for a single hour - is it possible the computer was on for longer on the 16th?

*added this last bit as an afterthought, it's even more speculative than the rest of my post*
I suppose it is possible that the averaging wasn't for the whole day, and just by 8hr period. Maybe for the 13th and 16th you didn't d/l 5.56 Gig, but that some of that figure is made up from "unknown" periods calculated at 0.85 each. Maybe your real usage was known during the periods your computer was on and unknown for the periods it was off. IF that is the case, then 4 of those 6 8hr periods would be unknown, and could account for upto 3.4 Gig of that 5.56 total, meaning your real usage was more like 2.16 Gig during the 6hrs you know the computer was on. But as stated, this is speculative in the extreme.

(and most unlike me to be so charitible to F9's point of view) Shockedops:
N/A

View someone elses usage

All that said, it would have cost F9 CS very little to take you at your word and set the figures to zero for the 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th.

Even if it set a precendent for that period and lots of customers "tried it on" and claimed to have been holiday during that entire period - the bandwidth "ripped off" compared with the total used by the rest of F9/PN would have been negligable.

Sometimes good Customer Service is about watching the pounds rather than the pennies.

It's highly probable the CS team couldn't reset the figures even if they wanted to - but this penny pinching attitude is at the core of what is wrong with F9 at the moment.