cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View my usage... for ADSL

N/A

Wouldn't it be nice to have a "view my usage" feature for ADSL, like the one available for dial-up. It would let you see if your ADSL connection is fast enough for your needs or whether you need to upgrade to a faster ADSL connection. F9 - any plans?
10 REPLIES
Mike_Grice
Grafter

Hi there,

It's a good idea, however it's not currently in development. I've moved this posting to the correct forum, by the way Smiley
Ianwild
Grafter

Hi,

What sort of thing would you like to see monitored?

To be honest, I'm not sure how we could technically achieve this. With ADSL being an always on connection the actual connection times don't matter.

We could use MRTG ro some such, but that would involve asking customers to run software on thier own connections to allow us to monitor them - Something most people might not be happy about!

I would welcome your further feedback. If we can come up with somehting workable I will put it forward to the developers.

Regards,
N/A

Hi

It would be good if you could track how much data has been transferred over a certain time period for each user like you currently do for the overall ADSL system at http://portal.f9.net.uk/supportpages.html?a=301. Since some ISPs put daily limits on the amount of data which can be transferred by their customers, it must be possible. You could then display this data as a graph like the Redback10k ATM traffic graph at the URL above. Obviously, if the customer had a 512kbps ADSL connection, the maximum the graph would show would be 512kbps. This would let the user see when the busy periods are for their connection and whether they are using it to its full potential or whether they need to upgrade to a faster ADSL connection (i.e. if the graph is a constant peak at 512kbps). I'm sure there are many other possibilities with this feature. For example, with the ability to see how much data customers are transferring, F9 could do a "Pay As You Go" ADSL service.

Does this sound possible?
N/A

It wouldn't be difficult to log when users login/out from the service would it?
N/A

I didn't think so, but then again... no reply from F9 even though they specifically asked me to describe the potential feature.
N/A

It would be good if you could track how much data has been transferred over a certain time period for each user...

Since some ISPs put daily limits on the amount of data which can be transferred by their customers, it must be possible.

I'm sure there are many other possibilities with this feature. For example, with the ability to see how much data customers are transferring, F9 could do a "Pay As You Go" ADSL service.

Therefore, in my view, best not to invite Force9 / PlusNet to go down this route. If the facility is there, some manager will decide it's time to use it as a business facility rather than a user facility.

Leave well alone in my view.
N/A

I think the reality probably is that F9 would never do this anyway as most of their customers would realise that their ADSL connections are barely used (i.e. whenever their computers are not in use - night time, when at work etc), resulting in many people going back to dial-up. This may sound a bit far-fetched, but there must be someone would potentially use such a feature to realise this.

Never mind then...
Ianwild
Grafter

Hi,

Apologies for the delay in coming back on this thread.

As I said before, to montor and graph traffic to provide a graph like the one that has been linked to, we would need to have all our customers install SNMP software on their machines. This woulden't be practical.

We do record start and stop times, and could record the amount of data transferred in a day, but I'm not sure how this information could be made useful to customers on the basis that it is nothing you don't already know!

Regards,
N/A

It probably wouldn't be worth it anyway.
N/A

Well, it's appeared at https://portal.f9.net.uk/view_my_broadband_usage/! What a nice feature!