cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View my Broadband Usage question ...

N/A

I have an entry on my "View my Broadband Usage" -> "Internet Activities" report that is entitled "Broadband Telephone Calls". Now don't use a VoIP phone and I don't make Internet telephone calls, so can someone explain to me where this line in the report comes from?
Secondly, would it be helpful to add a line, or a column: "Your permitted account usage is: XXXGb"? (Or more likey XGb).
Thankyou,
Kenneth Spencer
14 REPLIES
Liam
Grafter

Do you, or anyone in your family, use anything like Skype, sipgate etc...? MSN for voice conversations etc...?
N/A

Liam

Thanks for your reply. My answers are:

1. I have never had a Skype phone or any other kind of VoIP device connected to any of my PCs
2. I have never had a webcamera of any kind connected to any of the PCs (though I have several TV cards)
3. I have a microphone on one PC, and have occasionally had voice conversations over MSN, but that hasn't happened for many many months. I do use MSN/Yahoo Messenger occasionally but only for text communication.

We have been using Second Life recently quite a lot, and that does stream music, but I don't think that music or video streaming is included in the "Broadband Phonecalls", as it is separately recorded. I can't see the history broken down by Internet Activity so I have no idea when that usage started.

I will be interested to hear what you think.

Regards

Kenneth Spencer
pjemmanuel
Grafter

Do you, or anyone in your family use.....MSN for voice conversations etc...?

I think you've answered I question I've been pondering here Liam. I was wondering where broadband phone calls usage was coming from. I had a bit last month, and I'm up to 420MB or so this month.

Is this a recent change? My daughter has always used MSN for voice, but I've only noticed the usage in broad band phone calls for the last two billing periods. If this isn't a recent change, how come I've not seen usage in Broadband phonecalls prior to the last couple of months?

Phil
Plusnet Alumni (retired) _CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We have been using Second Life recently quite a lot

I am looking into this, it seems this is picked up as Skype :shock:
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 3

That would explain it I guess!
N/A

Broadband telephone usage

MSN voice usage might explain other people's broadband telephone usage but it definitely doesn't explain mine as I haven't used a microphone on MSN or Yahoo Messenger for months.
I really would appreciate an explanation.
Ken.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 3

Is this a recent change? My daughter has always used MSN for voice, but I've only noticed the usage in broad band phone calls for the last two billing periods. If this isn't a recent change, how come I've not seen usage in Broadband phonecalls prior to the last couple of months?

Has it been captured since the Ellacoya upgrade?
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

6.4 had a new signature for MSN voice, so yes a recent change.
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We have been using Second Life recently quite a lot

I am looking into this, it seems this is picked up as Skype

Now fixed.
N/A

Broadband telephone calls

Carl

Many thanks for that. Maybe when you have looked into it, you might let me know what will happen about it. I think that Second Life data might be counted twice, unless you are separating out the music stream from the ordinary game data ?

Ken.
Liam
Grafter

It certainly won't be getting counted twice. As the Ellacoya will tag it as a certain application. Previously it was incorrectly tagged as VoIP but now it has been fixed.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

6.4 had a new signature for MSN voice, so yes a recent change.

That explains it then. I was wondering what all the broadband calls were, I knew that no new software was in use here.

Thank you for taking the time to reply - and of course to Liam and Kelly, cos they replied too.
craign
Grafter

Second life tagged as VOIP?

Ellacoya developers used the internet recently?
N/A

Broadband telephone calls.

Thanks Liam and Carl.

So far as I'm concerned, that's it then! Matter closed.

Ken.