Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow speed tests

Lampo
Grafter

Very slow speed tests

Hi

I raised a ticket on the 11/08/06 regarding poor download speeds. When I carry out a Plus speed test it comes in around 130kbps. When I did the BT speed test it came in around the same.

It is now over a month that I have been paying for a service that I am not getting.

What is happening? Will someone please look into this and sort it out?

I have been with Plus for 3 years and have been happy with the service, but that was mainly due to the fact that I didn't experience any problems.

During a recent house move my patience were tested to the full. The ticket system is remote and unfriendly -- 10 different people looking into your problem with no continuity of service.

I don't particularly want to go and look for another service but feel that I am slowly being pushed that way. Plusnet need to do something in order to support their customers better.

Reading some of the stories here in the discussion forums would certainly discourage new customers.

Anyway this is now turning into a rant and all I want is the service that I'm paying for.

Thanks for listening

Stewart
15 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Very slow speed tests

Hi Stewart,

Do you know what speed the line is currently sync'd at and what the line stats are? The test results on your ticket indicate it may be a long line which is likely why the speeds are low, if it's sync'ing below 288kbps, even if it goes above this some of the time then the throughput will be set to a maximum of 160kbps.

It may be worth a regrade to a fix rate 512kbps or 1Mbps service (the estimate for the line is a maximum of 1-1.5Mbps for the line).

I'm happy to try a regrade to 1Mbps if you like.
N/A

Very slow speed tests

My transfer speeds have dropped to dial-up modem levels.

Any ideas?

This company used to be so easy to deal with and the service was rock solid.

Then came mergers, 8mb broadband and snail like speed.
Slangster
Dabbler

Very slow speed tests

I have exactly the same problem.
Can someone answer why our telephone lines were prefectly happy running above 2mbps when ADSL Max launched, then over the last few weeks get random disconnections and a download speed of 160kbps! How are ISP's going to be able to provide future web based services such as VOIP, VOD, etc. with a service like this.

Steve
Lampo
Grafter

Very slow speed tests

Hi Stewart,

Do you know what speed the line is currently sync'd at and what the line stats are? The test results on your ticket indicate it may be a long line which is likely why the speeds are low, if it's sync'ing below 288kbps, even if it goes above this some of the time then the throughput will be set to a maximum of 160kbps.

It may be worth a regrade to a fix rate 512kbps or 1Mbps service (the estimate for the line is a maximum of 1-1.5Mbps for the line).

I'm happy to try a regrade to 1Mbps if you like.

I'm glad someone is responding and at least discussing the problem with me, thanks for that.

I don’t know what you mean by “line sync’d at” or what “the line stats” are. Where and how would I find these?

Would it help if I did the speed tests again by logging into the BT test? If so can you provide me the details of how to do that.

Why was the service ok when I initially connected to this line and if it’s a long line why didn’t this not come up as a problem when I transferred to this number?

Thanks for your help and let me know what to do now.

Stewart
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Very slow speed tests

My transfer speeds have dropped to dial-up modem levels.

Hi,

I can't see any obvious problems on your account, can you run a few speedtests for us both on and off peak and raise this via the faults checker at

http://faults.plus.net

This will run some remote tests on the line and assign a ticket to our faults team for you.

Edit: just realised there's a problem with the fault checker at the moment, as soon as it's fixed we'll update status.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Very slow speed tests

Can someone answer why our telephone lines were prefectly happy running above 2mbps when ADSL Max launched, then over the last few weeks get random disconnections and a download speed of 160kbps!

Hi,

Looking at your speed history the line is very up and down apart from now between 2Mbps and 4-6Mbps. Now while fluctuations in speed on Max is normal this is probably one that I've seen fluctuate the most.

Now I would suspect that this is a fault on the line, especially given the details on the ticket, the fault guys will check into this.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Very slow speed tests

I don’t know what you mean by “line sync’d at” or what “the line stats” are. Where and how would I find these?

Hi,

The following site gives details on how to find the line stats on most routers:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm

What the stats show is a series of numbers that indicate the speed the line is connected to the exchange at (the sync speed) and a series of figures about the line quality.

The BT Speedtest may help, in that I would expect you to see pretty much the same kind of speed as you are now, details of the BT Speedtest are available at:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27

Why was the service ok when I initially connected to this line and if it’s a long line why didn’t this not come up as a problem when I transferred to this number?

Has the line been unstable at all since it was activated? From looking at the speed history it was higher earlier but was marginal between 1.5Mbps and 2Mbps. The BT Dynamic Management System has probably kicked in to stop the fluctuations or has seen a period of instability and decreased the line speed.

The following is worth a read in case anything there helps, any incorrect wiring or a fault filter could easily cause this type of problem.

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13
Slangster
Dabbler

Very slow speed tests

Thanks Dave, BT have now cleared a fault on the line (water in the connection in the street). What can be done to get my line back to a faster speed than 160K? Sorry for hijacking somebody else's speed problem.

Have I got to wait for the "faults" team to look into this?

Steve
Lampo
Grafter

Very slow speed tests

Hi Dave

Many thanks for your help with this; I feel that at least I am now getting somewhere.

I just want to give you a brief idea of the setup I have.

I have 4 port adsl router, this is connected to an Airport Express (Mac) which makes my connection wireless.

I have been confident that all the equipment was working correctly, but last night I had real difficulty getting my router online. The reason I mention this is because it usually connects straight away. Last night it took ages for the 'ADSL' light to stop flashing and become fixed.

Could this be an indication that there might be something wrong with the router? I realise that maybe you can’t answer that, but I don’t want to just go and buy another router if this one is ok.

I might be able to borrow a wireless router and try that out. Do you think that would help?

Many thanks for your help

Stewart
Lampo
Grafter

Speed sorted

Just wanted to post that i think at last after about 6 weeks the speed issue is sorted.

I can now get around 1.3mb download on the speed test.

Can anyone let me know if that is about right ??

cheers

Stewart
glocal
Grafter

Very slow speed tests

Similar situation here (Ticket no: 2036509Cool. I am on a 8MB connection and after months of speeds sometimes exceeding 6000Kbps now PN's speed test reports speeds around 200Kbps. My router reports: DOWN 1152Kb/s : UP 250Kb/s -- typically that has always been over 6000kb/s and 450kbps for months. I've done all the tests technical support instructed me to do and apparently PN 'raised this issue to [their] wholesale provider for further investigation'. I don't see why after months of rock-solid performance, my line would become so bad without me changing anything. Is this to do with the LLU issues? If yes, is there a way to go back to BT? Please note I am in central London -- I can't really be that far from the local exchange.

Obviously, I am not very happy. I am not into complaining, but my speed now is ridiculously low, I've been unable to use USENET at all for days (my client just keeps giving me error messages while Service Status says everything is OK), I can't access several websites including mine and traceroute times out, probably because of the DNS issues (I deleted all caches and restarted the router but nothing happened) etc. Frankly, I don't see very much working here and I don't see why I shouldn't leave and take my friends with me.

Michael
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Very slow speed tests

Hi there,

It's unlikely to be due to the LLU disconnections. The tests we ran showed your line synchronising at about 6Mbps (although this was fixed at 1Mbps during the later stages of fault diagnosis).

The were however a number of initialisation attempts suggesting drops in sync (or potentially a period of time when your equipmnet was switched off). There was also a number of errors being reported on your line.

I'm pretty sure this is going to be a line fault. Once our wholesalers have got to the bottom of that you should see a return to the speeds you were once used to.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

glocal
Grafter

Very slow speed tests

Thanks for that. Yes, I rebooted my router a few times which probably explains the initialisation attempts you mention. I hope your wholesales will get back to you sometime soon.

BTW, still no joy with USENET or those websites I cannot access.

best,
Michael
glocal
Grafter

Very slow speed tests

The wholesale suppliers claim they fixed it but although it got better, now my router syncs at DOWN 2304Kb/s : UP 250Kb/s and the speed test returns 1.92 Mbps. Still this is nowhere near the values I've been getting for months: syncing at 6Mb/s and 448Kb/s; and 6Mb/s actual download speed. Clearly my line can do better than that.

regards,
Michael Klontzas