cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow connection....Help plz

N/A

Hi everybody this is my first day on F9 i have just finshed setting up the connection for my Broadband premier option 2.
As soon as i was done i did some speed tests (4 tests) with the fastest one telling my i am at 241 kbps (around 30 kb/sec transfer rate) Sad Sad this is very slow.
any ideas on what i can do ?
5 REPLIES
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I sorry to say that having a slow connection or one that varies wildly from high to low speed seems to be the norm at the moment. Some users report a solid medium to fast connection while others (it seems a large number on the forum) report speeds that drop down to a very low value or suffer from random disconnects.

This is not only from F9/Plusnet but other ISP’s as well so you are not alone.
If you contact support they will only tell you to wait 10 to 14 days as this is how long it takes for the system to ‘learn’ your line statistics and set your BRAS profile at the exchange.

You don’t say how you are connecting i.e. with a USB ADSL modem or an ADSL router. If you are using a router the general advice is to turn it off for at least one hour a day for at least three days in a row to help the system learn your line.

It would also be useful to know if your connection is ADSL Max or Tiscali LLU as this can have a dramatic effect on how your connection stabilises.

Please be warned if you do contact the support line either by telephone (not recommended due to the long wait until answered time) or by the ‘ticket’ system from the help menu’s you will have a long wait for an answer due to the heavy work load the Max problems are causing.

Hope this helps in some small way, regards Colin
N/A

Im on a wireless router if it helps at all.
So ur telling me i should wait for a bit and it'l get faster ? this is my first day btw.
Pendragon
Rising Star

The first thing you should try is go to the ‘Help and Support’ pages and select ‘My Broadband Connection’ then select the ‘Self test your connection and raise a fault’. Follow the instructions to run some basic tests on your line just in case there is a fault.

If that passes ok then I’m afraid you have to wait a few days and see if your connection speed improves.

I note you say you have a wireless router so a) do you have it locked down so only you can use it and no-one is nicking your bandwidth and b) can you access the router stats and see what speed you are actually syncing with the exchange.

The exchange synch speed may be higher than your download speed (and speed test speeds) but should be within about 1M of the speed.
My router reports 5128 as the synch speed but speed tests usually give somewhere between 3.5 and 4.5 M depending on which one I use and the time of day (morning is best Smiley ).

Regards, Colin.
N/A

This is from the router : ADSL Speed (DS/US) 1632/448 Kbps.
Also the router has a network key so i doubt anyone is using it other than me.I have also tried the self test and have passed,I guess ill have to wait then.
Btw thanx alot collin ur alot more helpfull than the support at F9.
Pendragon
Rising Star

Pleased to help where I can.

From your stats it looks like your on ADSL Max (448 upload is standard for a home type connection), your download sync speed could be slow it depends on how far you are from the local exchange and how old the copper cables are to your house.

There are many other factors that come into play as well, do you have filters on all your telephones, fax machine, modems and sat box (if connected to the phone line) is your modem connected to an extension socket or direct to the master socket (where the telephone enters the house), there are so many variables to contend with it drives you round the twist at times.

One check highly recommended by most of the help sites is to disconnect all telephones etc and (if possible) connect direct to the BT master socket. If you have the type with the removable face plate (they split in half), then remove the face plate (the lower half I think) and connect your modem direct to the BT test socket beneath.
Do not remove the faceplate of the old smaller square BT master socket -48V and 90V AC (ringing voltage) exist here and can cause a mild shock if touched.

See if this improves your download and synch speed. If it does then you will have to start looking at your extension cabling to find the problem.

Good luck. I’m off for tonight, back in the morning.

Regards, Colin.