cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow authentication

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Very slow authentication

One of my family has a fixed rate product with Plus, and the issue is, ever since we reformatted and reinstalled his system, after a virus issue, when we try and login to the plus network, the verifying username and password takes an age to authenticate, even sometimes ending up in an error ( cant remeber the exact error code sorry Shockedops: ) Somethimes though it is fine. He uses an older binatone USB modem. I have tried to no avail to locate updated drivers for this modem. I do have a voyager 105 modem, left over from when I upgraded to using a router. Is it worth trying this, or is it an issue with authentication to Plus's network. this never happened before the reinstall. ( as an aside, I reinstalled all his system at my house, updating via my network, then took it back to his house, and installed the USb modem. Could the network settings be corruptedHuh??) Any advice would be great
6 REPLIES
amcbride
Grafter

Very slow authentication

I had a problem with authentication this morning as well. I have made no changes to my system. Just hung when I tried to log in verifying user name and password. Tried numerous times rebooted my system and then it connected.
Liam
Grafter

Very slow authentication

Might be worth digging out the Voyager and giving that a whirl to be honest. Would rule out your current modem as being the cause.

Have you got another PC or laptop to try on to see if it's a Networking issue with the PC?
Community Veteran

Very slow authentication

Thanks guys

This issue has been going on for a few weeks now. I will try the Voyager modem, and also try my laptop connected to both his Binatone modem and the voyager modem, and see what happens.
Ianwild
Grafter

Very slow authentication

In the old days of windows 98 and Dial-up, we used to get this problem report a lot, as a result IIRC of the setting "Log on to network" being active. What is the new operating system on the PC?

My personal advice at all times is that to spend a little bit of cash on a proper ADSL Router is probably one of the best investments you can make in terms of broadband reliability generally! You can pick them up easily for < £20 if you look in the right places :-)

Ian
Community Veteran

Very slow authentication

Thanks Ian

Can you send me one for £20 Cool

Seriously, the system is running XP Home with SP2. my relative, dosnt really want a router, as he dosnt really need one. I will try another USB modem, and try the binatone with my laptop.

Cheers

Chris
Ianwild
Grafter

Very slow authentication

Well, I could order you one off Ebay for £12 and send it to you for £20 I suppose :-)

Ian