cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very poor speeds tonight again (and BT speedtest broken?)

Community Veteran

Browsing this and yesterday evening has been terrible. Really unusual since the changes.
BBMAX and Speedtest.net speedtests are showing me at 500-900 Kbps (usually 4000-5000)
BT speedtest however is giving ~3600 Kbps.
Has something gone wrong with my PN "internal" profile ?
Is there a hangup somewhere on the PN network ?

(very stable MaxADSL line; MSR 8000; sync 8128; 14dB snr margin; 9dB attenuation; green exchange)
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

This has happened again tonight. same sorts of speeds -- maybe even worse
everything just slowed to a crawl.
It's back to how it was before christmas -- ok until early evening then almost unusably slow.
i see a few similar comments in the forum again recently -- can any comms team member watching the forum comment please?
N/A

Download Speed: 55 kbps (6.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 96 kbps (12 KB/sec transfer rate)
-------------------------------------------------
This is my speed tonight, what happen!!!

I can't even browse any http pages.

I'm in Manchester, anyone has the same situation as me?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The best thing to do is to raise a ticket with the details of the speedtests, the old BT Speedtest:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwspeedtest.htm

will show if it's exchange side contention/problem and we can have a look into it.
N/A

The speeds are dreadful tonight, and I have tried both pipes.

BBmax Last Result:
Download Speed: 587 kbps (73.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 260 kbps (32.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Fixes: 116

Hi

There are now three threads regarding this issue. My original posted yesterday http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52978, this thread and another here http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53004.

Is it possible to combine these as I am finding it extremely hard to follow all three with pages taking up to 10 minutes to open or refresh with new postings?

Thanks

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

The best thing to do is to raise a ticket
OK Dave, I will monitor it and if it goes on for more than a couple more days will do that;
But I would have thought the goodish BT speedtest (~3600Kbps is about what I normally get on BBMAX) would tend to indicate a problem with PN rather than at the exchange -- which is why I wondered if (in the light of a sudden burst of threads complaining about speed, after a long period when it was pretty quiet on the subject) you had anything to say on the matter "informally"

thanks

Paul
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

If that's the old BT Speedtest then I would be inclined to agree, the new one less so. We have been making a few changes to things over the last few days so there's always a possibility that something isn't quite right or there's some specific reason why it's affecting you and/or a couple of the others.

There's nothing that I can immediately see that's wrong with the account though, otherwise I'd fix it if I could, which is why I suggest the ticket simply because if you go through the fault checker it will capture all the information we need and also run some remote tests which then makes it a lot easier to pinpoint the cause.
Community Veteran

yep the "old" speedtester (using speedtest@speedtest_domain).
ok thanks.
i'll see how it is tonight and ifthe problem rears up again I'll raise a ticket immediately
Community Veteran

It's the same each night now.

Tonight BBMAX is giving me <800kbps, and I can't even get onto either the "old" BT speedtester (217.32.105.42 is unreachable now) or the new one (either it never replies or reports being too busy).

So I can't even carry out the tests that will be required if I raise a ticket!

is there an emoticon for "peeved" ?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I'd still say that the best thing is to raise a ticket, without the results of the tests the automated part of the fault checker may not be able to pick the problem, but it should then either return it to you to check (and you can just reply and it will go to the CSC) or drop out to be checked manually by the CSC.

If you put all the results from the last couple of days and what does and doesn't work that should be enough.
N/A

My speed tests and http xfers are fine, but I'm damned if I can connect to a live for speed server, using udp 27010 (common counterstrike port).

I can't last a day without racing!
Community Veteran

the best thing is to raise a ticket,

I'm doing this but the faultchecker is asking me to disable my router firewall, about which I feel very uncomfortable indeed.
I'm willing to do so only if I shutdown and disconnect all the pcs connected, but the pages don't say how long your tests will take to complete so I won;t know when to re-enable the firewall ...
help?
Community Veteran

@paulh177
Configure your router to "accept pings from the web", then you don't need to do anything other than that for PN to do their fault testing.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Yep, so long as the router can accept pings then it should be fine. The BT tests that run only need to be able to ping you to work.