cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very poor service from F9, change back to Wanadoo

N/A

I have been using Wanadoo broadband now for 18 months and never had a single problem, always login first time.
However I was switched over to F9 on Monday and the first problem was it took 3 or 4 attempts to login in, and once it did log in there was no data transfer - no pages would load in IE/Firefox and the Outlook timed out.
I contacted F9 Technical support Monday night and was told the problem was due to me being given an IP address which someone else was using, the problem would be fixed in a few hours.
On Tuesday night I tried to use the internet again, same problems, so I contacted F9 Technical support again and this time was told there was no problem with the IP address and that I should switch of Zonealarm, I did this but as I had never had any problems with Zonealarm and Wanadoo I thought this was unlikly to help, and it made no difference.
I was then told to remove all telephones from the line, this made no difference of cause so at this point I gave up Tuesday night.
I then rang F9 technical support again Wednesday to be told that there was a problem with my Zonealarm and I should unistall it and ring back, I did this and waited another 10 minutes to get back to techincal support only to be told that the problem was down to me having an IP address the same as someone else!
At this point I was told the problem would be fixed, but guess what still not working as of 7am to Thursday, I am now in my 4th day of no internet.

Also I have lost track of the number of times I have been asked "is the little green light on the modem flashing?"

As I am a new user to F9 broadband I can only guess this poor service / help is the norm?

Username: Callerid
8 REPLIES
N/A

This is fairly unusal for Force 9 - I have referred about 20 users to Force 9 after connecting myself 1 1/2 years ago. I've been very happy with the service they provide, their speed of answering queries and the level of high-end services included in the package.

My one issue is that the hardware supplied is not always the greatest quality, especially the binatone usb modem. By far the best way of connecting is via a broadband router which avoids the issue of using windows dial-up networking at all, and you really are "always connected".

Zonealarm may well have had something to do with your connection problem if it was configured incorrectly and it was wise of the tech support to suggest this. Personally i use Sygate Personal Firewall which is a great free firewall, and very easy to configure. I have had many issues in the past with Zonealarm (not with force9, but in general).

I often find the best way of getting a good response from tech support is by using the tickets system online as opposed to telephoning (i suppose because a written log is kept of the problems) but to be honest i would never recommend wannadoo/virgin/tiscal etc over force 9 and actively discourage people from siging up with them wherever possible. It sounds like you have just hit a strange problem and you're going round in circles with the tech support, but i've found this to happen with just about every tech support from Hewlett Packard to BT. Once you ring off it's like you never existed. support tickets are the key...

I hope you get up and running soon....all the best Wink
N/A

I have to admit that I have not had any problems since joining force9. I recommended them to a friend and he is also very happy with the level of service they provide. I have been reading these forums for a few months now and this is the first problem of this type I have heard of. I think you have just been very unlucky so far. Give them another chance after this problem has been sorted and I am sure that you will also be a very happy customer.

Rob
N/A

If the problem is due to an IP address that someone else has been allocated, then I believe it may be fixed by the end of today...
N/A

IP Conflicts

Hello,

"IF" the problem here truely is an IP conflict (i.e. two users allocated the exact same IP address) then I think it would be VERY clear that this was the case as

1) you should have received an error message telling you of the a conflicting IP address with another user & one of the two machines wouldnt be useable on the network. It usually the second machine NOT the orginal owner of the IP

2) The machine might even crash? (Yes! I've seen this happen with conflicting IP's).

*Zone Alarm does need to be configured correctly for IE6 or Firefox etc, in ZA's program list you need to set the program to "allow local" & "allow internet" doing this set's the correct permissions for the program to pass through ZA & browse the internet.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

I will also have to note i've been with F9 for a few years now and had by far the best ISP service I've ever had, very few problems & the ones I had were fixed quickly.
N/A

Thank you for your comments, after posting this message today I am pleased to find tonight when I turned on the PC it logged straight in with no errors and surfing has returned. Someone at F9 must have located the problem.
N/A

I have been with F9 in one form or another since 1999 and have recently migrated back from another ISP. I hasten to add, it wasn't the customer service which made me come back but the extra features which weren't provided with my other ISP. I have to say though that generally CS is quite good, you do get scripted replies on occasions but normally you will find that Dave, Bob, Luke (? haven't noticed him around lately) wikll try to help on this forum.

That said, if you are still not happy, you can take advantage of the satisfaction guarantee http://www.f9.net.uk/features/customer_guarantee.shtml?link=guarantee whereby F9 will pay your migration fee to another provider (if applicable) within 45 days of your migration in. Give it a few more days before you take the drastic action of moving again though!

Cheers

Mark
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

I have to say though that generally CS is quite good, you do get scripted replies on occasions but normally you will find that Dave, Bob, Luke (? haven't noticed him around lately) wikll try to help on this forum.

Hi there,

Luke actually moved into training and is now a Team Leader for the support centre.

To keep on track with the discussion at hand, there have been isolated issues with IP assignment that we are working to resolve. We did envisage a fix this week but it is likely to be nearer the beginning of next week now.

The problem occurs when a customer changes their account. The most common change is from Premier to BB+. When a customer initiates this change their account is assigned a new IP address and the old one is released into the pool. When another customer then changes their account or has their ADSL enabled they are assigned this IP address.

The problem is caused by the fact that the first customer is still connected to their old IP. They need to disconnect to be assigned their new address.

What we are looking to implement is an account flag that forcable disconnects a user when their package is changed.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵