cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very poor SNR (2 dB), can't find master socket!

N/A

For plus.net employees, I have raised this as Call #19364590

I had my ADSL moved to a new address this week, which means I automatically quality for ADSLMax. Hurrah.

The line has been activated, but as per a previous posting, I'm getting a very poor 2 dB SNR, and CRCs in the hundreds. Eventually, the line drops and has to retrain. This occurs for any period from 10 minutes to one hour.

Weirdly, I can still get download rates of 1900 K/s when the line is actually up, which surprises me.

All sockets have filters installed. I've tried unplugging all other devices, and plugging the ADSL router into different sockets. The SNR remains very poor.

A twist is that I can't find the BT Master socket! Where could it be? I followed the wires outside the house, but they eventually go into the wall, and the only BT Master Socket I found was in the study BUT is not active (BT tell me there used to be a second line at this address).

What can I do? Is this a case of plus.net raising the fault so BT can come and stick a proper master socket in? Or at least tell me where it is!
3 REPLIES
N/A

I raised this fault with BT, in case there was anything obviously wrong with the line. I was expecting the usual, "You must talk to us via your ISP".

But this came back:

"Expected Repair Date 19 May 2006 - PM

Results of fault diagnosis The problem is likely to be with BT's network.
We will start your repair shortly. Sorry for any inconvenience."

Interesting!
N/A

I raised this fault with BT, in case there was anything obviously wrong with the line. I was expecting the usual, "You must talk to us via your ISP".

I'm probably being an idiot here, but seeing as I'm having a similar issue - where / how did you report the fault?
N/A

I'm probably being an idiot here, but seeing as I'm having a similar issue - where / how did you report the fault?
If you sign up to manage your account on the web with BT (via bt.com), it is one of the menu options ("Report a fault").

I don't think I've had a human response yet, so it is possible that they will reject it long-term (as it has not been reported via plus.net). Plus this could be considered "normal" during the training phase.

My connection was more stable last night. Still lots of CRC errors, but fewer forced retrains.