cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very dodgy spam situation

jimmyk
Dabbler

I don't use the webmail system as I run my own servers so unless they hacked mine as well.......... Wink
289 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Evening all,

This afternoon something has happened which I find quite disconcerting: I've received a load of spam e-mails, all of the same type, to a multitude of PlusNet-hosted e-mail accounts... a couple of which, I never even given the address of out. More alarmingly however, is the fact all of the e-mails are addressed to whatever@kuglin.plus.com - despite the fact that I normally use @be3g.co.uk instead.

For example, I have an e-mail address which I only use for two things: PayPal, and Smile (my bank). I never post the address anywhere, except for the fact that eBay and PayPal hold the address so that payments are sent to the right place. But what is extremely important to note is that I have never, as far as I know (and I've checked my sent/received mails just to make sure), used the address in the form the spam was sent to: it was sent to address@kuglin.plus.com whereas I always use it with @be3g.co.uk.

Now, further to this, on Usertools IRC earlier, a former PlusNet staff member (Jon Whiting, for those who may remember him) reported receiving spam to an address which he only ever uses for fax2email; in other words, the only people who know about the e-mail address's existence are himself and PlusNet.

Having said all that, I am aware that it would be possible for a hacker/virus to harvest e-mail addresses from an unsecured computer. I don't know about Jon, but I can say two things about this regarding my situation: one is that I have a Mac (which has no known viruses currently in the wild AFAIK), whilst the other is that I again refer you to the fact that the spam was sent to different domains to the ones I use for the e-mail addresses; in other words, the spam was sent to e-mail addresses which don't even exist on my computer. (Because on my computer, the addresses are stored/used as anything@be3g.co.uk, not anything@kuglin.plus.com, which the spam was sent to.)

Myself and one other person on Usertools IRC have come to the conclusion that someone, somehow, has harvested e-mail addresses from PlusNet - there is no other explanation we can think of for the spammer having these e-mail addresses which aren't given out. However, we are not necessary au fait with the latest spamming techniques - no-one could be, apart from spammers themselves - so I would like to know if any other users on this forum have experienced a similar problem, which might point to a wide PlusNet issue.

Thanks,
Thomas
N/A

I have also received spam to multiple email addresses this afternoon and I have come to the some conclusion that these addresses could only been sourced from PN.

In my case 5 aliases have been used with the 2 domains that I have hosted with PN in additional to the PN domain. 3 of the aliases have never been set up on my mailserver or in Outlook as accounts as I relied on the catchall to receive these.
MacOS10
Grafter

Yes, I too have received some spam today to an address that I set up purely for job applications - I've never given this address to anyone yet and I haven't posted it ANYWHERE. In fact I've never had chance to use it yet.

So, I think you're right - the only place that knows this email address exists is PlusNet. Somehow, spammers have got this address from PlusNet, there's no other explanation (is there?).

Up until now, I've never had any spam on either of my two email addresses - I'm very careful who I give my home email address out to.

I don't know what PlusNet have changed recently, but I hope they put it back to how it was.
N/A

Yep, many spam to my main, postoffice, account that I've never had received to before before...
Chris
thecookhouse
Grafter

Yes me too - never use my plus.com address - 4 dodgy spam emails today.

Explanation please PlusNet.
tbomb

Same here again - all sent to @name.plus.com accounts. Including the new one I set up to use the new catchall system, and old ones I haven't used for ages and had deleted. But not all of my mailboxes, yet.
All for the Cheapest ED pills on the net.
I have never used the @name.plus.com as an outgoing email address so it cannot have been harvested in the usual way IMO.
Community Veteran

I just noticed a load of spam today all to an email address that I have only ever used on my router to send logs and alerts to me, the only place it was stored was on my router and the mailbox config at pn!

I have never ever made the email address public or used it anywhere but on my router!
pumpkinpie

Same with me too : I've received spam in many different mailboxes today one of which was my postmaster mailbox. I know for certain that I have never, ever given out my email address as postmaster@myusername.plus.com This does, I think, give credence to previous comments that the source of the email addresses is more likely to be one of PlusNet's servers.
Prod_Man
Grafter

Hi
yes I also recieved several spam emails today, and like the rest of you was wondering why this sudden influx of spam.
I have added the domains to my black list, but still wonder why this happend today.
Perhaps some one at plus net knows?

Mick
Quester
Grafter

I just got the one spam to the postmaster account today, somethings up though.

Edit: ED Pills too.
Community Veteran

All for the Cheapest ED pills on the net.

Ah yes, same here.
N/A

I too have received 4 spam messages today (which is 4 more than I have received in months!!), one of these messages was to my *@*.plus.com address which I have given out to anyone. One is to an address which I have only ever given to my close friends and the other two are to my ebay email address. The only link I can find between all of these addresses is that I have them all setup on PNs webmail as sending addresses.

Have PN had a hacker in the webmail system?
Community Veteran

I to have received "Ed" spam today on any address normally spam free. But it does not have a mailbox setup for it.

Chilly
N/A

Not sure if it's a hacker. I would ask PN the question as to what has happen to the old mail servers? Some of the aliases used by this spam attacked were deleted several months ago.