cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very dodgy spam email situation [Part 7]

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Just thought I would start it off again to say that the new spam control system seems to be working well up to now for me.
50 REPLIES
mapletree
Grafter

Filter

I keep reporting them but it doesn't seem to help.
Am I wasting my time forwarding them to spam@despamchecker.plus.com

Nope. This is a daily process that our Networks team carry out but all have to be manually checked by the networks guys to ensure they actually are spam.

Some email clients such as Outlook & Eudora mangle email headers. How can users of these programs help to train the spam filter?

M
mapletree
Grafter

PlusNet have offered me 3 months free subscription, as a valued customer,

Shouldn't PN be offering this to all affected customers, at the very least?

M
Tigger
Grafter

M

Where was this - must have missed it.

As you say, should be offered to everyone affected. Wasn't too sure I was at first, but since the Wondercum have started rolling in, it is all too obvious that we have been. Just glad my daughter decided to keep her hotmail address, and didn't want a PlusSpam one. I'd really rather her vocabulary hasn't been extended the way mine has (just from the headers!)
Shockedops: Shockedops:
mapletree
Grafter

Back in the last part of this epic saga AKA "very dodgy spam email situation, part X".

I have disabled my kids mailbox (i.e. changed the password) for now.

I'm in two minds now whether just to find a new ISP or wait for promised username changes/free domain.

The free subscription might help me make up my mind Wink
Community Veteran

As you say, should be offered to everyone affected. Wasn't too sure I was at first, but since the Wondercum have started rolling in, it is all too obvious that we have been.

I wasn't sure at first either, because we usually get a bit of spam through viruses having at various times infected PCs of people who have our addresses. Realised we must have been when I noticed some was addressed to username@username which, of course, we've never given out to anyone.

Maybe it's just people who have other domain names hosted on PlusNet which have also been affected.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
N/A

Shouldn't PN be offering this to all affected customers...?
M

Yes I agree.
I've heard nothing - does this mean that some customers are more valued than others?
Another alternative is that the new email system is stopping everything - there's been nothing to my (now) one and only PN mailbox today.
And as I specifically suggested the 3 months could I have some form of royalty for every customer they give it to?
smillie-world
Grafter

M

Where was this - must have missed it.

As you say, should be offered to everyone affected. Wasn't too sure I was at first, but since the Wondercum have started rolling in, it is all too obvious that we have been. Just glad my daughter decided to keep her hotmail address, and didn't want a PlusSpam one. I'd really rather her vocabulary hasn't been extended the way mine has (just from the headers!)
Shockedops: Shockedops:

I requested my MAC key, and explained how unhappy I've been with the service over the last year, and helpfully listed all the tickets I've raised (not many either) where the customer support is plainly unacceptable. I suggested they provide me a free service until the end of December as way of compensation and to give PlusNet time to remedy all the faults and get the service back to what it used to be, fun and reliable.

I didn't post the comment to stir up trouble either, merely to show that if I was moaning in order to get something for nothing, then I wouldn't be still here, putting my view on things.

Really the money is of no consequence, I haven't accepted the offer nor have I refused it. I have my MAC key and it's valid for thirty days. I've been waiting to see how PlusNet were going to resolve the spam in my mailbox before finally deciding and possibly facing the prospect of changing all my mail addresses.

As I've said elsewhere in these spam threads, I still think PlusNet offers the best package in terms of features, but the features and package are worthless if the service is poor and unreliable.
alben
Grafter

One of the factors that has kept me with Plusnet has been the total lack of spam,I am now waiting to see how things develop. I know for certain my main email address will now never be spam free,(I previously was with BT, I know I am again!)it probably will not take long for new secondary addresses to be compromised. I am also unhappy to read that a customer requesting a MAC has been offered a form of compensation! A new username or domain please Plusnet.
N/A

A new username or domain please Plusnet.

PlusNet will be offering both of these to customers shortly, see here.
Dev
Grafter

This is going from bad to worse. I am now getting bounced spam emails appearing as being sent from my domain. Also some emails I send are going into spam boxes of the recipients.

I would like to see a safe list on webmail, so @ incorrectly labeled as spam can go into inbox.
smillie-world
Grafter

I am also unhappy to read that a customer requesting a MAC has been offered a form of compensation!

Sorry my mistake, it's not technically compensation, it's a gesture of goodwill. That is how it was put to me. I prefer to think of it as compensation.

Apologies for not being clearer the first time round.
alben
Grafter

No problem at all gatesofhell, and thanks to lestones, I have been with Plusnet for some time now and they have always come good. Cool
alben
Grafter

Is the offer of a domain open to those that already have one, or will it be offered to non domain customers,affected by this problem. I would be unhappy to have to change my username but a domain with no price increase may just about compensate.

Alan
N/A

I am also unhappy to read that a customer requesting a MAC has been offered a form of compensation!

Sorry my mistake, it's not technically compensation, it's a gesture of goodwill. That is how it was put to me. I prefer to think of it as compensation.

Apologies for not being clearer the first time round.

So, if we all go and request our MACs..... Tongue