Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very dodgy spam email situation [Part 6]

Community Veteran

283 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Very dodgy spam email situation [Part 6]

With the spam protection off I don't think it will actually do anything to the mail, I think the open relay check is part of the clam checks but would probably need to check.

(copied from this thread;
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56026&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=281)

I have spam protection on but am still getting a few blacklisted emails arriving unmarked, though most spam is being marked [-SPAM-] - see the headers I posted just before the above thread was locked. The ones that haven't been marked have no mention of ClamSpam in the headers.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

If memory serves correct if ClamSpam doesn't identify it as spam it doesn't add anything to the header, it only does anything if it decides it is spam. If Clam doesn't pick it up as spam that's when it passes it to despam so I think you'll either see in the header than Clam found spam, that despam found the spam or that despam said it wasn't spam.
hamsandwich
Grafter

Yep, and looking at your ticket they replied,

Yes. But ineptly, to a different question. Somehow, not a surprise.

It's taken me 5 days to get the name of your Data Controller. I still don't have the registration number. These are not difficult questions.
Community Veteran

If memory serves correct if ClamSpam doesn't identify it as spam it doesn't add anything to the header, it only does anything if it decides it is spam. If Clam doesn't pick it up as spam that's when it passes it to despam so I think you'll either see in the header than Clam found spam, that despam found the spam or that despam said it wasn't spam.

Thanks for the explanation Dave, but why, do you think, Clam didn't identify those particular emails as spam even though it identified the IP addresses as being in the spamcop black list?

Just curious, as I thought being in the black list would mean they would automatically be marked as spam.
Community Veteran

This is where I have a real problem. I don't want my children to ever see any spam messages. Now we are all receiving spam, I need to vet them myself first. It would be better for many to have a single mailbox for spam rather than one per user.

I too would prefer to see a single spam mailbox per username or more accurately to at least have the option to set this up. In the perfect world I would like a choice per mailbox as to whether the spam goes to the main spam mailbox or stays in the individual spam mailbox.
hamsandwich
Grafter

In the perfect world I would like a choice per mailbox as to whether the spam goes to the main spam mailbox or stays in the individual spam mailbox.

In the perfect world, I'd have preferred PLUS not to have divulged our email addresses in the first place.
N/A

meritocracy,

I have to say that I am a little worried about your use of the word inept. I have seen you use the word in a couple of different topics when referring to PlusNet.
Now I feel that inept is perhaps a bit strong, but as well as this by using the word inept, you could perhaps be inviting for others to respond to you in a manner which you didnt want.

Perhaps suing a slightly milder word but carefully chosen may prevent this.

On the side, I dont think divulged is the word your looking for. Its not as if PlusNet were paid a handsome price to part witht he info. No instead the results were what seems to be an untrustworthy third party who illegally placed items on the server etc.

So no I think divulged is the wrong term used and in the wrong sense.
hamsandwich
Grafter

inept : not [skilled or] effective

So, on balance, I think that inept is the word I wanted. How others react is their problem.

Perhaps suing

Oh, don't fret. If plusnet's compensation offer isn't up to scratch, I will be. Smiley

divulge (verb) : to make something secret known

Again, I think divulge is the word I wanted. I didn't say they were paid. If I thought they were, I would use the word corrupt.
N/A

But divulge is used when someone willingly divulges in something or as the dictionary wrote, willingly makes something known.

As I understand it, it wasnt willfully given up but rather more forcefully taken which leaves the word divulge rather redundant.

Again inept is if it was because say PlusNet couldnt be bothered to secure their servers, which I dont for a second believe. But taking a look in the life of a cracker (or better known to most hacker) and it doesnt matter how much you try to secure it, someone will find a way to beat it.

Using the words is fine, provided they are accurately used within the context of the situation, which I for one do not believe they were.

Anyway, this is dragging the thread off track and as such will stop right here. Lets get the thread back on track and discussing what it is meant to as my last post was more of an advisory post.
hamsandwich
Grafter

Again inept is if it was because say PlusNet couldnt be bothered to secure their servers, which I dont for a second believe.

Belief and proof are separate. As plus have not yet Divulged, voluntarilly or not, how their systems were broken, no-one, barring the culprits, can say. Surely your belief that plusnet are a shining light and a bastion of data security who were just unlucky is no more than equally valid compared to my view that they have been incompetent, inept, negligent and evasive. You make your own luck in this game.
Community Veteran

Another bit of spam from a blacklisted IP, which hasn't been picked up and marked [-SPAM-] (see further up this page and my link back to previous thread for earlier occurrences.)

X-Open-Relay: 200.65.217.223 is in a black list at bl.spamcop.net
X-Pn-Virusfiltered: by PlusNet MXCore (v4.00)
X-Dspam-Result: Innocent
X-Dspam-Processed: Mon May 21 08:50:09 2007
X-Dspam-Confidence: 0.5434
X-Dspam-Improbability: 1 in 120 chance of being spam

This does seem to indicate a problem somewhere.
mapletree
Grafter

I too would prefer to see a single spam mailbox per username or more accurately to at least have the option to set this up. In the perfect world I would like a choice per mailbox as to whether the spam goes to the main spam mailbox or stays in the individual spam mailbox.

I agree that it would be best to have the option. I'm sure the proposed solution would suit some better. However, for families and organisations where users have low technical knowledge, I'm convinced our preference would be better.

M
lingbob
Grafter

*** Copied from here:

With the spam protection off I don't think it will actually do anything to the mail, I think the open relay check is part of the clam checks but would probably need to check.

Can you check please, I'd like to know.
lingbob
Grafter

Thanks for the explanation Dave, but why, do you think, Clam didn't identify those particular emails as spam even though it identified the IP addresses as being in the spamcop black list?

Just curious, as I thought being in the black list would mean they would automatically be marked as spam.

I would have thought that too.