cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very dodgy spam email situation [Part 4]

Community Veteran

Continuation of the previous thread from here.
282 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

phew ! this really must be a forum record surely ?
N/A

Thank you for your reply Dave Tomlinson . As i have your attention could i just ask that has anyone thought that while our mailbox's are being hit by Mega-richard and the likes. That there is a likelyhood that some members are not downloading their mail because of the filth we are recieving. If they havn't another account , ie; hotmail,/yahoo etc they wont be recieving your re-assuring emails as the dont want to be sifting through the filth to get to the one they want, BTW what re-assuring emails? :roll:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

We sent the mail to both the postmaster account and any contact email address we had on file, I'm not sure though what else we can do. I don't know if we can check if the mail has been read but even if we did it may not tell us if they've seen it because we've no way of knowing if they had another account they use or just on holiday and not checked any mail.

Do you have a suggestion?
The_10th
Grafter

Can we expect to receive this SPAM indefinitely now?
pennbank
Grafter

Should we all have received this mail message by now, as I have not received any postmaster@username.plus.com mail.
I have just sent a message to myself and that has not come through either. Had the spam on other accounts though.
Community Veteran

I, too, asked a similar question. So far PlusNet seem to be very quiet about what they intend to do about stopping the flow of spam.

I (who knows nothing) still see a change of username being the only answer and I feel, despite all the trouble it appears to cause, that is what eventually will have to happen unless PlusNet can delete all the SPAM on their servers so it does not enter our personal mailboxes.
N/A

We sent the mail to both the postmaster account and any contact email address we had on file, I'm not sure though what else we can do. I don't know if we can check if the mail has been read but even if we did it may not tell us if they've seen it because we've no way of knowing if they had another account they use or just on holiday and not checked any mail.

Do you have a suggestion?

I have but it would be marked as [spam]. Evil

I am extremely angry at this whole situation and as my father is one of my referals .I would like you to have to speak to him as his moaning will be off the rictor scale, he is the type of person who hasn't much savvy about computers and the like, like alot of other members I guess, and guess who he is going to blame for putting him on to Pn
Community Veteran

Dave, I do have a suggestion that will IMO give a lot of credability to plusnet's handling of the situation. It will cost a lot of £££ though.

Send a letter in the post to all customers detailing the situation. It won't get lost amongst spam and if people choose not to read it that's their problem.

I realise it would be a big expenditure, but to me the fact that plusnet sent a letter detailing the situation, and steps that can be taken to help would say a lot to me as a customer that they are prepared to undertake such a mailing.
N/A

Count me in as yet another of the affected.

What annoys me is that I recently changed my e-mail address because of the amount of spam I was receiving. I took great steps to protect my address and up until Sunday was getting none at all. The last 4 or so months have been bliss.

Now the address is somewhere in the wild, so it's as good as knackered. I use a purchased domain name as part of my address, so it doesn't matter where I take it - I'll continue to have the same problems - and no doubt my address will be sold on elsewhere.

Now the genie is out of the bottle, I do not see how they can reasonably fix this. I have decided that as a consequence of this massive mistake that Plus have made, I shall be finding another service provider. I've been with them for years and tolerated a lot of shoddy support and outages, but when my security is compromised, I'm off. It's the last straw.

Regards,

M.
N/A

Dave, I do have a suggestion that will IMO give a lot of credability to plusnet's handling of the situation. It will cost a lot of £££ though.

Send a letter in the post to all customers detailing the situation. It won't get lost amongst spam and if people choose not to read it that's their problem.

I realise it would be a big expenditure, but to me the fact that plusnet sent a letter detailing the situation, and steps that can be taken to help would say a lot to me as a customer that they are prepared to undertake such a mailing.

BINGO Glad to see that there is someone on the ball. :lol:

How can we have faith in Pn when a simple thing like this avades their line of thought, also their inability to even set the time right on thier forum page.
N/A

Daniel, you are whisting in the wind my friend.

PlusNet, in my opinion, really do need to remove at least two layers of management in order to grapple with the recent security problem.

By the way, sorry for not being in contact recently but I've had serious health problems...
Community Veteran

How can we have faith in Pn when a simple thing like this avades their line of thought, also their inability to even set the time right on thier forum page.

This is something you need to alter yourself, by changing the time zone in your profile.
N/A

are they involving the police?
have they traced where the intruder was based during this attack?
that's what i would love to know.
cheers.

[Moderator's note by Tom (tomspcs): Removed 3 repeat posts within this thread. This post appeared 4 times. In future please check to see if the post you made ahs already been posted before clicking submit again and causing duplication.Thanks.]
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

The email addresses are out there now, there's sadly not a lot we can do about that (unless it's just one spammer that has them and he can be tracked down and stopped). Therefore I would expect the spam in some volume to continue. Spammers see value in live addresses, if no-one is clicking or buying then the batch may not been seen as having that value. Last stat I saw was that spam resulted in 1 sale per million spams.

We are looking at other things we can do to try and block or tag the spam. As you may remember we recently rolled out changes to mailboxes, well that was the first phase of an overall spam project. We're now on the fast track with phase 2 of that project.

More details on this to follow shortly on things like setting up a "spam" mailbox to collect all spam rather than having to download it.