cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very dodgy email situation [part 3]

N/A

Continuation of the previous thread from here.
327 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Heh... a third part of a single thread? I wonder if that's a record... and you need to fix your URL code james. Smiley
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

Like many I'm getting whacked with spam now.
Never used the web mail.
Digsy
Grafter

I'm getting them too. I use webmail very, very rarely. My girlfriend (also with PlusNet) NEVER uses webmail and she is getting them too.
Community Veteran

I used to be with AOL in the bad old days of dial-up internet. They had their entire worldwide database of email addresses - and that's millions of addresses - stolen and sold to spammers. The b*****d who did it got caught and sent to gaol.

The incident here is a drop in the ocean compared with that one but I hope the person(s) responsible gets a similar come-uppance.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
jimmyk
Dabbler

Much as I hate to say it I have seen an increase in spam attempts in my exim logs, although at the moment the spamassassin is holding its own and none have actually been delivered.
N/A

Dear Folk - Plusneteers (including me!)
This spam will not stop until our illustrious Plusnet team can get a handle on how/who did this. It does not matter if it is Webmail, Mailboxes or Pony Express. The dirty deed has been done - We, the innocent customers can do nothing about it. We will continue to get spam until the senders are plugged....It should take 48 to 60 hours then we should see a reduction.

I disagree. Once your email address is out there in the wild it'll just get passed on/sold on to other spammers. Even if you manage to plug the current spammers, more will just take their place.

Once you're on the spammers lists I don't think you can ever get off them. That's why people are so angry about this, many of us have taken great care to protect our email addresses and then this happens.
Digsy
Grafter

Yeah - and I'm getting spam to my hosted domain address, so now even if I tell PlusNet where to put it after this debacle I'll still want to re-host the same domain with another ISP, so I'm guessing I'll still get spammed no matter who I am with.

Way to go, PN. Absolutely terrific. Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I'm getting them too. I use webmail very, very rarely. My girlfriend (also with PlusNet) NEVER uses webmail and she is getting them too.

Have you ever sent your girlfriend an email using webmail? If you have, that is the reason.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Liam
Grafter

But have you emailed her? Do you have her in your address book? Have you received an email into webmail from her?
Digsy
Grafter

Have you ever sent your girlfriend an email using webmail? If you have, that is the reason.

Nope. BUt I have used webmail (my account) from her PC. Would that do it?
N/A

sybilandbarry wrote:
toucano wrote:

The clear (or is it fuzzy?) impression from PN is that a mailbox address only appears in the Webmail system when the user configures it to be there (in the way you described earlier) -or- if another user has the person's mailbox in his/her Webmail address book.

If it happens the way you describe earlier (automatically) it would be in PN's interests to say so, since it would remove all the concern that the compromise is wider than Webmail.

I keep seeing posts from PN-ers saying that every mailbox they've checked has an entry somewhere in Webmail but they have not responded to the list of my mailboxes I sent them which challenged that assertion. Again, it would be in their interest to come back to me and quell my concerns.

Hmmm. Well, I certainly didn't configure my mailboxes for using webmail; I just set them up for the Mail program to download from. Webmail just happened to be something that was available once I'd done that - I did nothing other than log in to it.

You wrote this in an earlier post:

"You should be able to log into all your different [Webmail]mailboxes, using username+mailboxname and the same password you use for retrieving mail via your computer's mail client."

That is what I meant by *configuring* your Webmail account.
But I have not done that on my Webmail account.
Liam
Grafter

Heh... a third part of a single thread? I wonder if that's a record... and you need to fix your URL code james. Smiley

I've fixed it since James hasn't been around in the last 30mins.
N/A

Dear Folk - Plusneteers (including me!)
This spam will not stop until our illustrious Plusnet team can get a handle on how/who did this. It does not matter if it is Webmail, Mailboxes or Pony Express. The dirty deed has been done - We, the innocent customers can do nothing about it. We will continue to get spam until the senders are plugged....It should take 48 to 60 hours then we should see a reduction.

I disagree. Once your email address is out there in the wild it'll just get passed on/sold on to other spammers. Even if you manage to plug the current spammers, more will just take their place.

Once you're on the spammers lists I don't think you can ever get off them. That's why people are so angry about this, many of us have taken great care to protect our email addresses and then this happens.

There is a way round this, methinks, to rescue the situation.
It will just take a little lateral thinking from our Plusnet warriors - who are, I am sure, on a little defensive parry at the moment!
Give them a little space - as long as they realise they have to keep talking to the "Paying Public" they will keep us on side and we will not make the mistake of deserting them in droves.
Just make sure BT doesn,t get its fingers in the pie - if it does...abandon ship!!! :arrow: :lol:
Digsy
Grafter

But have you emailed her? Do you have her in your address book? Have you received an email into webmail from her?

I only ever e-mail my girlfriend from my PC's POP3 mail client. When you say my "address book" do you mean a webmail one? If so then no. My only address book is in Outlook on my PC.

And no, I've not received an e-mail from her into webmail. Not in recent history (like months) anyway. How far do you have to go back?