N/A

Very Strange

Just had a look at my VMU, and just noticed these below
Peak usage Off-peak usage Total usag
Broadband 486.65KB 216.88KB 703.52KB
phonecalls
Peer-to-peer 4.87MB 130.07MB 134.93MB
Usenet 6.19MB 191.57KB 6.38MB

Now, I dont make BB phone calls, I certainly dont use P2P anymore (since getting stung by a virus!!) not used it in a LONG time, and usenet...I dont even know what that is? is it the newsgroups, if so then ok, I am subscribed to two one about my local area, and the other about radio scanners.

I know these are insignificant amounts, just very strange is all
9 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Very Strange

Hi,

Usenet is newsgroups so that will probably account for that, the broadband phone calls is probably just random background noise that looks like VoIP. Nothing really to worry about, almost everyone will have a few KB on this and some of the others (like P2P or streaming) from virus scans, pings, probes, etc. stuff that just bounces off your firewall but will get classified as something.

The P2P is probably on the high side for background noise, off peak anyway. Could it be a file transfer that's by some other method (e.g. DCC) rather than say BitTorrent or edonkey?
N/A

Very Strange

Dave do programs like Team Speak get classed as VoIP ?
N/A

Very Strange

Hi Dave,

I dont do ANYTHING like that with P2P, dcc I tried a few years back, didnt get on with it, anything i download is always http or direct ftp from a friend, dont trust any others any more, not after losing some seriously important info to a virus..am not overly concerned, its not a vast amount, just curious!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Very Strange

Dave do programs like Team Speak get classed as VoIP ?

Not sure to be honest, I'd think it would be but will need to check and get back to you.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Very Strange

I dont do ANYTHING like that with P2P, dcc I tried a few years back, didnt get on with it, anything i download is always http or direct ftp from a friend

Does the amount tie in with anything you've downloaded or uploaded recently? It could be that something you're using gets classed as P2P including either downloading or uploading, my memory's a little rusty of what fits where, so these may not count as P2P, but do you ever transfer files via MSN or other instant messenger or download game patches within the game software (I think World of Warcraft for one uses BitTorrent for patches)?
N/A

Very Strange

...my memory's a little rusty of what fits where, so these may not count as P2P

Would it be that retirement beckons Dave? Wink
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Very Strange

I wish Smiley just that it's been a couple of months doing other stuff that things like this go missing so to speak Smiley
N/A

Very Strange

I dont do file transfers full stop, msn, xfire or any other way. I dont use messengers that much to be honest, I might have to try a different spyware program to the ones i currently use, maybe something is on the pc transferring my files, but my pc is locked down as tight as i can be, the windows firewall, antivirus, hardware firewall etc.
Community Veteran

Very Strange

my pc is locked down as tight as i can be, the windows firewall, antivirus, hardware firewall etc.

Hi Rob.

The windows firewall only works for incomming connectios.

You would be much better to run a third party soft firewall like ZoneAlarm (for example), which gives you control of incomming and outgoing connections.
You would know straight away if some program on your PC (legit or not) was calling out to the web.