cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Varying upload/download speeds (MaxDSL)

N/A

I can hear loads of you sighing as yet another poster starts yet another thread on MaxDSL. However, in this one I am neither going to ask when I'm going to be upgraded, nor how it's going to work. If I'm really lucky it'll be a new idea, too.

As I understand it, the MaxDSL technology will allow PlusNet to control the effective speed at which data flows to/from the end-user. Given we're gradaually being upgraded to 2Mb/s down (and 256 Kb/s up), I'd like to suggest you look at allowing users to alter the up/down split.

For example I could see it might be quite attractive to certain users to have 1.5Mb/s down and 750 Kb/s up: the total bandwidth remains the same but it's split differently. You'd might even get an overall reduction in traffic destined toward customer end-points, which (dare I say it?) could allow you to increase customer density.

Oh yes, I wouldn't want to be charged for changing my U/D ratio, either :-P

Thoughts?
Chris
19 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

MaxDSL will allow for 2.5Mb, 3Mb, 3,5Mb, 4Mb, 4.5Mb, 5Mb, 5.5Mb, 6Mb, 6.5Mb, 7Mb, 7.5Mb and 8Mb.

Anything upto 2Mb will be the Premier (Upto 2Mb) Account at £21.99
Anything from 2.5Mb - 4Mb will be the Premier (Upto 4Mb) Account at £29.99
Anything from 4.5Mb - 8Mb will be the Premier (Upto 8Mb) Account at £39.99

As far as I can tell anyway.

The second two options will allow an upload of upto at least 400k, I'm not sure if Plusnet plan on making upto 800k available on the Premier products. MaxDSL will allow these, but only on IPStream Office Max, a business product.
N/A

Although it's pretty difficult to tell at the moment, it appears that the throttling can be handled by PN rather than BT. On this basis I see no reason why I couldn't have a sync speed of 8Mb/800Kb and have that throttled back to the example values I gave in my first post.

Regards
Chris
LiamM
Grafter

That is what is going to happen.

AFAIK however, it's only going to be on IPStream Home Max (upto 400k upload). Because IPStream Office Max (which will allow upto 800k upload) will be more expensive.

For example, everyone will receive a sync speed of the fastest possible on their line, the account you subscribe to with Plusnet will then determine which speed you actually receive.

This will make upgrades instant and effortless.

Are you suggesting something similar to Eclipse Flex Broadband, where you can speed yourself up for a short period of time and pay extra per minute?
N/A

I've not heard of the Eclipse product.

To be honest, I don't fancy paying over and above my monthly fees for what is just a rebalancing of the combined upload/download speeds. Note that I'm /not/ suggesting an increase in download speed; rather, I'm asking for "spare" capacity (as defined by the user, not the ISP) to be shunted from the download bandwidth to the upload bandwidth.

Poor man's Nearly-SDSL if you like :-)

Chris
csogilvie
Grafter

Except you'd only be able to shunt between 150 and 550K towards it...
N/A

Sounds good to me
LiamM
Grafter

That would require you to be connected on an IPStream Office Max Connection, which only the expensive Business products will be.

So, sign up to one of them, and you'll be able to get upto 800k upload.

Unfortunately Plusnet are restricted to what BT allow. They cannot simply make up the speeds themselves. They have to work around BT Products.

Oh, and this is Eclipse Flex Broadband - http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?id=bbresidentialservices
N/A

what I dont understand is why there is going to be any capping at all on the upload speeds. The effective contention rates on the upstream paths are much lower than on the downstream ones due to the asymetric nature of adsl. BTs exchange dsuks and plusnets csacs are all symetric, so there should be plenty of spare upload bw available
LiamM
Grafter

There are certain limitations on the technology. ADSL is called ADSL because it can handle Asymetric data transfer. In short, the bulk of frequency on your line is used for the downstream with a little amount devoted to upstream.

If the upstream matched the downstream, this would be SDSL and SDSL requires extra kit at the exchange, and a dedicated line to work on.
N/A

I think you have missed my point. I fully understand the differences between ADSL and SDSL. My point was if I get the max dsl based product and my upstream line speed syncs to 800k, why are PN and/or bt planning to throttle it back?

Bt will have a pipe to the exchange (dsuk> of x bandwith x. This will however be symetric so there will be spare capacity on the upstream.

Simalarly PN will have muliple links to bt (csac) which the l2tp tunnels will be presented to PN lns servers. These links will also be symetric.

All of these pipes cacpacity will be defined by how many users there are and what their downstream speeds are. By the nature of every users (except SDSL) asymetric connection there should be a lot lower contention on the upstream path

Real world tests confirm this as every dsl line I have seen gets near enought its full upstream line speed whenever you test it, peak time or not
LiamM
Grafter

Because it's another attractive feature to enable them to make more money. Simple as that.
N/A

welllets just hope that the competative nature of the market forces their hand
N/A

it's another attractive feature to enable them to make more money

...which is why I'd suggested allowing users to reallocate their notional "total bandwidth" in the first place (subject to the practical limitations of the technology) rather than asking for more than I'm already getting.

Chris
Community Veteran

Makes good sense to me roaima! Cheesy
Don't have a clue if it makes business sense or not though :?