cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN stoped working

N/A

VPN stoped working

Hi all,

I've been with plusnet since May 2005 and have used Cisco VPN to connect to my company's network ever sine.

On Thursday night my problems started: I'm able to connect fine using my VPN client but don't have access to any network resources (mapped drives, Outlook exchange etc.) I can't even ping any IP address in the company's network.

No one else in the company has these problems and I have used dial up to connect my VPN and all works fine.

I've just spoke to one of PlusNet's sh*tty CS agents and was told that there is nothing they can do as they only allow VPN but don't support it. This is the complete opposite of what I was told when I signed up for PlusNet.

I then asked for my MAC code since I'm simply going to move my account to BT Business since almost everybody in the company is using it and it's paid for by the company anyway. He refused and also refused to put me through to a supervisor or manager.

I have never spoken to anyone who treated me in such a rude way and I'm definitely leaving PlusNet.

But in the meantime if anyone has any ideas what the problem with using VPN is all of a sudden please let me know.

Thanks.
18 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

VPN stoped working

I can't comment on the exact phone conversation that you had, as I obviously wasn't participating in it.

However, VPN isn't something that we can offer much support for. If there's a problem with it, then the best thing to do would be raise a question and we can make sure that there's nothing on your account that would be causing a problem.

Have you spoken to the IT department at work, to ensure that there's nothing changed on their end recently. As even if its working from a dialup connection its possible that there's something on that end preventing the connection from functioning fully.

As for MAC keys, and account closures in general, this is something that we always ask you to raise in writing, and the person you spoke to should have advised you of this at the time.
N/A

VPN stoped working

Nothing has changed at work - nothing has changed at my end.

Could someone please look into this and make sure there's nothing on my account that could cause a problem?

Regarding the PM CS agent - I'm complaining about the way he talked to me. He was rude and unprofessional.
N/A

VPN stoped working

Dear Sir,

I apologise if you found me to be rude, I don't feel that I was being rude to you, but simply that I couldn't provide you with what you were asking for. If I did come across as rude, I apologise.

While it is true that we do not actively support VPN, but allow it on our network, I did not refuse you VPN support, I simply advised that although there was nothing I could tell you on the phone, if you were to raise a Question via the Help Assistant, we would endeavour to look into the problem for you to find out if there's anything we can find that is causing your problem. This would need to be as a Question on your account so that it can be given to the networks dept. to be looked into.

I also did not refuse you MAC key, I simply advised you that, as is our policy across the business, I couldn't provide you one without a written request for one. ALL major account changes require a written request as this is an official notification from you that you want it done. Otherwise, we only have the say-so of whoever you speak to that that is what you wanted and you would be well within your rights to come back later and query why something has been done when you didn't request it. If you had requested one in writing, I would have been able to provide you with one.

I am sorry that there wasn't a manager available to speak to you at the time, but I can assure you that no-one here could have told you anything different to what I did.

Again, I am sorry if you felt my attitude to be rude, but I don't feel that I was and did all that I could to help address your concerns.
N/A

VPN stoped working

I don't know if this helps, but I used to use a VPN to access work, but over the last year I have switched to using remote desktop/terminal services and simply taking control over my machine at work and find it suitable for my needs. Maybe you could ask your IT dept to sort this out for you until your VPN works again?
N/A

VPN stoped working

How can I swithc to the small business package as that seems to have proper VPN support? I've got no option in upgrade?

Thanks!
JonathanW
Grafter

VPN stoped working

For a change to a business account you'll need to raise it through the Help Assistant.
Community Veteran

VPN stoped working

All of plusnets packages support VPN as PN do not block any of the standard VPN ports on any product. If your current package is having problems then either there has been a misconfiguration at either end of the connection or something is blocking it when it should not.

firewall blocking it perhaps? Have you tried without your firewall running

Have you rebooted all equipment, including routers and the system at the remote end?

If this is a company VPN connection, are others iin your company able to VPN into the server?
N/A

VPN stoped working

All of plusnets packages support VPN as PN do not block any of the standard VPN ports on any product. If your current package is having problems then either there has been a misconfiguration at either end of the connection or something is blocking it when it should not.

firewall blocking it perhaps? Have you tried without your firewall running

Have you rebooted all equipment, including routers and the system at the remote end?

If this is a company VPN connection, are others iin your company able to VPN into the server?

VPN worked fine for 14 months+ on Plusnet, I came home on Thursday evening and it would connect but I can't even ping anything at my office. No one else is having problems.

I've re-booted my router - nothing
I've disabled my firewall - nothing
I've hooked an old USB DSL modem to my laptop - nothing
I've used the USB modem with the firewall disabled - nothing
I've used dial up with PN - nothing
I've used dial up with BT - all works fine
I've taken my laptop to Starbucks - all works fine
I've hard wired my laptop into my neighbours router - all works fine.

I've done the first six things with my desktop as well...with the same results.

I'm sorry but it looks to me like trouble with PN.

Thanks,
Seb
N/A

VPN stoped working

VPNs are sensitive to your MTU. Seeing as you have tested in Megabucks, it is unlikely to be a change on your laptop.
I wonder if PlusNet moved you to Piscali on Thursday.. Do you know who you currently use?
I have used both sonicwall and Netscreen VPN clients on my PN connection in the past, but am not able to confirm if either work at present because my connection is shafted in general.
N/A

VPN stoped working

VPNs are sensitive to your MTU. Seeing as you have tested in Megabucks, it is unlikely to be a change on your laptop.
I wonder if PlusNet moved you to Piscali on Thursday.. Do you know who you currently use?
I have used both sonicwall and Netscreen VPN clients on my PN connection in the past, but am not able to confirm if either work at present because my connection is shafted in general.

I opted out of being moved over to Piscali...so if that's the case Evil
Is there any way I can find out if that has happened?
N/A

VPN stoped working

I opted out of being moved over to Piscali...so if that's the case Evil
Is there any way I can find out if that has happened?

normally you know because your connection doesn't work. Other than that, I don't know. Sorry.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

VPN stoped working

What do your router firewall logs show for this? Can you see the outgoing connection attempt? Anything incoming? Have your work checked if they can see any connection attempts from you?

When you said you turned off your firewall. Did you turn them all off? ie router, software one on the pc etc...?

Phil
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

VPN stoped working

As for if you are on tiscalli or not, do you know what your upload speed is?

Phil
N/A

VPN stoped working

Just to add another spanner in the works, I too am experiencing the exact same issue. Started around the same time, Friday 28th July to be exact. I thought I was going mad.

I can connect to the VPN but no traffic is routed through the tunnel (unable to map network drives, access exchange server or intranet). I have tried several computers to no avail, but it does work on other ISPs! It has been working with Plus.Net for a good part of 2 years.

Paul