cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN problems with XP

gosforth
Grafter

VPN problems with XP

I have just upgraded my PC from Windows 2000 to XP. My VPN connection works fine on Windows 2000, so it is getting through my Netgear DG834 router/firewall OK.

I have exactly the same settings for VPN is XP and it doesn't work. I get the error 'Error 800 unable to establish the VPN connection. The VPN server may be unreachable or the security parametes might not be configured correctly'.

I have turned off the XP firewall and it makes no difference. Both the Windows 2000 and XP installations were using McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise 8.0.0 that is fully up to date.

I'd be grateful if anybody could give me some ideas.

Thanks,
Chris.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

VPN problems with XP

Hi there.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems.

I take it you are using the default Windows VPN client, the error mesage would indicate that to be the case.

These articles from good old Microsoft should be of help:-

1. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319108

2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314076/EN-US/

Work through those and if you are still having problems post back and we'll see if we can get you sorted.
gosforth
Grafter

VPN problems with XP

Thanks for this. Having thought about this I realise that my laptop has XP on and VPN works fine on that. I'll try copying the settings.

I will have a look at the Microsoft help if this strategy does not work.

Thanks.
Chris,
gosforth
Grafter

VPN problems with XP

I am mystified. I have my laptop which is running XP and VPN is working fine through the same router as the PC that won't connect through XP. All the VPN settings are identical. The same McAffee Enterprise 8.0.0 is on both machines with the same settings and up to date libraries. Both machines have fully up to date XP. The Windows firewall is turned on on the lap top and VPN won't work with the firewall on or off!

I've looked through the Microsoft materials. It can't be anything to do with the router because the lap top connects OK. Likewise, the settings all work on the lap top which is baffling.

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Chris.
gosforth
Grafter

VPN problems with XP

Oops.

"The Windows firewall is turned on on the lap top and VPN won't work with the firewall on or off!"

Should have read
"The Windows firewall is turned on on the lap top and VPN on the PC won't work with the firewall on or off!"

Forgot to say both machines are running XP 5.1.2600 SP2.0 with Hot Fix XpsEPSC.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

VPN problems with XP

Don't suppose it could be a limitation on the remote side you are VPN'ing to? I know with the work VPN I use I'll get a session error message if I try and login twice at the same time.
N/A

VPN problems with XP

If one machine is logged in to the VPN already, you are likely to have troubles starting another VPN session on a seperate machine through the same router.

The VPN server at the work end can handle it fine, because all VPN traffic will be sent to a RAS server which can sort out which traffic relates to which session.

On your home network though, unless you have a single RAS server to route traffic to its difficult to make it work.

The router will already 'know' that VPN traffic from your work IP address should be sent to your laptops IP because it has a session open.

So when you attempt to connect your PC; your PC sends the request to the work RAS. The RAS server responds, but the handshake info goes to your laptop, so authentication times out with error 800.

VPN clients get around this by using specific port numbers appended to the IP address, so that routers can easily direct traffic in different directions. I'm not sure how this is acheived using the Windows client though.

If its essential that both machines connect, I can have a look around and see if it is an option available for the Win Client. Alternatively it may be easier to set up a firewall-to-firewall VPN so that your router creates a single tunnel to work, and multiple machines are allowed to connect through that (Netgear routers have this option IIRC, if its not available on yours, a firmware update should add the option)
gosforth
Grafter

VPN problems with XP

Thanks for your help. The PC does not connect even with the laptop turned off. I don't need to use the PC and the laptop at the same time. I just brought the lap top home for diagnostic purpose so that I could check the settings etc. I would prefer to use my PC because it is a far higher spec machine.

I've also logged a call with the IT guys at work, but they might not respond because the problem is with a home PC. I'll post anything that comes back.

Cheers,
Chris.
gosforth
Grafter

VPN problems with XP

Apparently, the VPN connection uses TCP port 1723 and the GRE tunnelling protocol. Is there any software that I can use to check that these are available and find out what is blocking them if they are not available?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Chris.
gosforth
Grafter

VPN problems with XP

Problem solved. I just deleted my VPN connection and created another one with the same settings! Works fine.

Thanks for your help.
Chris.
Mand
Grafter

VPN problems with XP

Glad to hear you got it sorted. Smiley