cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN problems - PLUSNET PLEASE RESPOND

N/A

I've been trying to get my VPN up and running since the office upgraded their system (firewall etc) and the tunnel gets formed but I can't ping any of the office computers.

After going through all the usual suspects (VPN config, firewalls etc) and me pointing the finger at the network admin (and vice-versa), I have to consider the ISP i.e. PlusNet (esp. since the network admin has got fed up with me and is now ignoring my emails Cry).

Trawling through some troubleshooting guides I found one point that may apply:

...your tunnel is up but tunnelled packets are possibly being blocked, corrupted, or misrouted: Network/Port Address Translation (NAT/PAT) may be occurring somewhere in that path. Give your local ISP or DSL/cable provider a call to work out these problems.

Given my router has a NAT I thought that might be at fault so I replaced the router with my old USB modem and that still failed. I also tried setting the DMZ to my PC's IP and still had the same problem. This means I'm fairly convinced the router is not to blame.

I tried a different PC and the result was the same.

I've searched the PN forums and found a few queries about 'VPN throttling', but is it possible something has changed (since about May) that might be to blame? One normally expects the ISP to be a constant in the troubleshooting procedure, but with all the recent fixes, repairs, backups etc - perhaps something has been disabled on my connection? :?

At least if the network admin ask again about my ISP I can say that I did enquire Wink
I'll raise a ticket if people think it's worth it.

Thanks in advance Smiley
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

FYI. Using Checkpoint VPN here without problems. Sad

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Hmmm... My VPN into work wasn't working during the weekend either, but I thought it was something at the work end rather than anything to do with my connection etc.

I usually VPN in, then use a Remote Desktop connection to do my work. I got the VPN connection ok, but couldn't run my RDP sessions or open any remote intranet pages.

I'll try again tonight & see if the problems are still there. I didn't try any pings etc as I wasn't too bothered about not being able to work from home for a change Smiley I'll check them out tonight too if I still have issues.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I do the same, work use a Microsoft connection manager client and I remote desktop in. I haven't tried it for about a week, but all I can say it is works fine for me.

I know little about them so can't say any more than that. Sorry I know that doesn't help you much Sad
N/A

@ godsell4, slightlyrandom, hunthome - thanks for all replies Smiley

@ godsell4 and hunthome - I'm glad that your VPNs are working OK - perhaps it's just me Sad

@ slightlyrandom - thanks for your investigative efforts, would be interesting to see if your problems were related.

@ anyone

I'm hoping that most PlusNet users are having no problems with their VPNs and it's something that PlusNet might have 'accidentally' done to just a few users - that would explain why someone else at work (who also uses PN) can get in fine.

I guess I'm trying to eliminate the ISP part of the equation, because it's the only thing I haven't looked at till now.

It seems I might never find an answer - I suggested to the network admin that perhaps the corporate firewall might be blocking my data (to and/or from) but they dismissed that out-of-hand. Perhaps it's a ploy to make me come in to work? :lol:
N/A

Anyone from PlusNet care to comment? Smiley

I would appreciate a more thorough response and someone actually checking my particular connection to see if something is amiss rather than a standard non-specific reply, if possible Wink

I did raise a ticket/question but I don't have much faith in that being replied to (considering how busy CS are with the other problems that seem to be prevalent at the moment).

Edit: Perhaps it might help if I mention that when I try to ping one of the servers at work the VPN software indicates that both secure and non-secure data is flowing. That seems to imply that data entering the tunnel at my end is being correctly encapsulated but somehow it gets corrupted when the reply is sent (so that the ping fails).
N/A

I forgot to check mine as I don't tend to use it much during the week. I'll try to remember to connect tonight & let you know how I get on.
N/A

Thanks slightlyrandom, that would be great Smiley
dannykos
Grafter

i haven't been able to VPN into home from work since being LLU'd here at home. No settings have changed, but i now can't access my home machine at all...

is this an LLU thing?
N/A

VPN slow

My VPN has been very very slow, over the last 10 days, only in the evening. When I tested the speed rate using the PN facility, I have received 9,6 kpbs. I hit 2Mbps without the VPN.

It is not my company or my router, because the rest of my colleages are fine...

I have just let PN know... Perhaps I will get a clear answer this time... not smoking clouds...
N/A

is this an LLU thing?

I expect that's one possibility if the VPN depended on the higher SNR/ lower attenuations you might have had before LLU, but then you would probably see a general loss in connection quality. I don't know if it's possible that kit installed in the local exchanges might be filtering or corrupting VPN data?

@ jasanz - perhaps you have been experiencing slowdowns because of problems such as the one's highlighted here?

It's been over 73 hours and (unsurprisingly) I still haven't had a reply from CS to my question raised through the 'Help Assistant'. Not quite the "Average closure time" of 18 hours then!
N/A

That's odd, my reply to this topic seems to have disappeared... It definitely got accepted when I posted it on Weds night.

Anyhow, my VPN connection has been working fine for the past couple of days when I've tested it, so it seems that it's not a widespread problem after all.

I hope you get it sorted ASAP.
N/A

Thanks for your reply, slightlyrandom Wink

I did wonder how you got on, so thanks for the update - glad yours has been working fine Smiley
Must have been the forum gremlins that go to your post :lol:

I hope you get it sorted ASAP.

Thanks, I hope so too, but it seems it's going to take a while to get to the bottom of it...
Simon_M
Grafter

I managed to break my VPN connection the other day with much the same symptoms as your's - VPN conection seems ok but the Remote Desktop Connection won't connect.

Problem eventually traced to the installation of a Bluetooth adaptor - installed to connect to the modem in my mobile as a dial-up connection, which worked fine, but which also setup a Bluetooth network connection. Once I disabled this, the RD Connection established as it should over my existing LAN connection, router, ISP, & so on.

You may not have a parallel situation, but is it possible that the RD connection is trying to establish over the wrong pathway, as mine did?
N/A

After checking the "status of services" web pages, I feel that my encrypted IPSect VPN Traffic is being treated as very low priority and is being dropped in the evenings. It looks like somebody has misconfigured my profile...

I have been complaining about this for the last 3 days and nobody in PlusNet has paid any attention, yet.