cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN Throttling?

N/A

VPN Throttling?

Hi,

Is anyone else who runs LAN to LAN VPN's across the PlusNet platform experiencing high latency across their tunnels at the moment?

ICMP response times in the clear between the routers are perfectly respectable (45-50ms), but through the tunnels are currently varying wildly betweem 200ms and 900ms. Only a recent problem, the three Cisco routers that form the VPN (one external to PlusNet on a Dutch SDSL connection) have been rebooted to no avail. :?

The only thing I can think of is that VPN traffic is currently receiving a low priority across the PlusNet platform.

Any input appreciated before I raise a ticket.

Cheers

Roly.
31 REPLIES
N/A

VPN Throttling?

hi there,

have just logged into my own office network and would agree that things are pretty sluggish. I am seeing response times of @ 366ms which is certainly not normal for me.
N/A

VPN Throttling?

Cheers for the reply. I've been operating the VPN's across PlusNet for several years with remarkable performance given its only ADSL after all - couldn't fault it until now. In fact recommended to many people.

Seems very odd that ICMP Pings sent in the clear between sites are fine, but when encapsulated in the tunnels they are taking relatively large times to respond. Which is why I can only assume that there is some form of traffic shaping being applied either accidently or deliberatly.

Having said that it has improved slightly since I posted, and the response between our Dutch site and our Business Adsl connection is better, the VPN from my Cisco router on a Premier account to the +Net Business account is still giving 300ish ms repsonse times.

Roly
JonathanW
Grafter

VPN Throttling?

There certianly shouldn't be anything having an impact on this, especially not if you're using a business account. So the best suggestion would be to raise a ticket so that we can investigate.
N/A

VPN Throttling?

Cheers Jon,

Just checked again and the repsonse times are almost back to normal. I'll check again in the morning and like you say raise a ticket if there still seems to be an anomaly.

These strange and difficult to pin down scenarios are here to try us! On the whole though v. pleased with PlusNets service.

Cheers

Roly.
N/A

VPN Throttling?

Thanks Jon. I'm going to get some of my lot to test this later just to rule out somthing local. Similar to the OP, pings sent in the clear are normal but when tunnelled they are overly high.

I'm tunneling from my home premier account to the office. I'll see if the same applies from a busines account.
N/A

VPN Throttling?

Just to update after posting that - the tunneled traffic is latent again (from my Premier account to +Net Business account and to Dutch XB Networks SDSL account.

I'll have to check in morning what its like from the Business account to other destinations.

Regards

Roly.
N/A

VPN Throttling?

I have found that both ssh and ftp to be a little sluggish too over the last 24+ hours. As you can see in some of the other threads at the moment people are getting high latency playing games yet normal pings to the servers are fine. I have a funny feeling it is all related. It looks like the traffic shaping appears to have gone a little mad it and is effecting quite a lot of different traffic that it shouldn't be.
N/A

VPN Throttling?

random qu : why would it matter if its a biz or standard account? do you make sure it has high priority on biz, and normal on premiere? or?
N/A

VPN Throttling?

Right this morning its back to normal - we'll have to wait and see if it gets throttled back again in the afternoon.

If it does then some questions will need to answered about how the traffic shaping is being applied.

Cheers

Roly.
N/A

VPN Throttling?

65ms here this morning yet last night through to 1 am from both a Premier and a business acount response times were between 3oo and 400 ms.

Certainly makes you wonder.
N/A

VPN Throttling?

Yet again ICMP pings are responding fine, but VPN traffic is being throttled this evening. Was fine earlier in the day.

Something is definetly not right with the traffic managment - someone needs to hold their hands up and at least admit that they got it wrong. The PlusNet network IS throttling IPSEC traffic - certainly in the evenings. It can't be disputed now.

This is on Business accounts and Premier.

Cheers

Roly.
N/A

VPN Throttling?

Hi Roly,

I am seeing the same thing here again. Not sure whats up.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

VPN Throttling?

random qu : why would it matter if its a biz or standard account? do you make sure it has high priority on biz, and normal on premiere? or?

All traffic is marked as gold or better on business accounts all the time so unless there is a massive service outage traffic on business accounts should be unaffected by the network management.
N/A

VPN Throttling?

Hi Mark,

Don't suppose you noticed the time it started again do you? Initially I didn't take too much notice of my remote users complaining of slow repsonse across the LAN-LAN IPSEC VPN's (Cisco based), as each time I checked it out typically earlyish in the day I could find no fault.

Its only on further investigastion in the evenings that I noticed the discrepency in latency between standard simple ICMP pings sent entirely in the clear compared to the encapsulated IPSEC traffic between the locations.

It would appear to be dependant on time of day also, which on the face of it can only point to one thing as far as I can see and that is for whatever reason (hopefully an accidental misconfiguration) the IPSEC traffic is being shaped compared to the ICMP traffic.

Cheers

Roly.