cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOTE - signups for 4Mb and 8Mb are a con

N/A

See the poll...

This is advertised as "coming soon". The truth as read from various posts by PN staff in response to questions like "when will I get my 8Mb upgrade" is that PN do not know when "soon" is and it is completely out of their control. For example, this was posted just 4 days ago:
The MaxDSL trials are still ongoing, at the moment I can't give a timescale for the next phase as it's not within our control.

It is therefore not good enough to bill people additional on these grounds. Providing a "coming soon" warning is not sufficient as it is not based on any fact that PN can prove (see above). The additional fee should not be charged to these customers until the extra service that is being paid for can be - or is - provided.

Most readers of these forums are unlikely to have been taken in, but people who are not as familiar with the technology can be easily attracted by such an offer, especially as this then appears to put PN on a par with other ISPs that offer a faster than 2Mb (but of course non-BT based) service.

This instead is starting to put PN on a par with other greedy ISPs who deliberately mislead their (future and current) customers. I didn't think PN were that type of ISP. Sad
225 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

We give customers who want it an option to sign up for these products now so they are at the front of the queue when the faster speeds are made available.

It is however made clear at the time of signup that these speeds aren't available yet and for the meantime they will be on 2MB as long as their line can support it.
N/A

Whilst I dont agree with the fact that PN are promoting products which dont yet exist, I dont agree that it is a con. Sharp practice maybe but not a con.

<edit> I haven't voted due to the use of the word con>
N/A

I believe it oversteps the fine line of sharp practice / con. The only place I can see that it is "made clear" on the Premier sign-up page (before hitting the "buy now" button) is use of the words "coming soon" and "You'll get 2Mb broadband now, with speeds up to 4Mb/8Mb as soon as they become available". The words "Speeds up to 8Mb" used on previous pages are far more visible and not qualified.

As PN have told us they do not have any control over this they are promising something that they cannot guarantee when they will deliver. It is clear enough that the user won't get it now, but it is not clear that "soon" is not in PN's control and not something they know the length of. Is there a guarantee that if it is not provided by a certain date the additional fees paid will be refunded?
N/A

I'm not sure it's a con, it's just a future service that probably won't be available in much of the UK for a very long time so it is in a way misleading... personally, i don't want a faster down speed though, if Plus offered a 2MB account with 512k uploads i would pay quite some more for that but as i understand it, just like these 4MB and 8MB services, such things are out of Plusnet's control.
N/A

While it probably doesn't meet the usual meaning of the word con I think its bordering on sharp practice to charge for a product which may (or in fact may not if BT don't like the trial results) be available at somepoint in the future.

I can see some advantages in paying more to remain at the front of the queue I wonder how much longer PN can charge so much more to jump the queues... If I was one of the people paying alot more without knowing soon how long the products will remain vapourware for I'd consider dropping back down to 2MB and taking my chances. Anyone who remains paying the higher fees of their own free will is IMHO a mug...
N/A

There isn't much point in wondering why you havent got the 4mb and 8mb speeds, with the current path that Plus' service is taking, its likely that they will be shaped into 10kb downloads anyways. I gave up on Plus ages ago, just cant afford to switch ISPs right now.. (I hate to have to say it, but im sure im not the only one feeling the same way)
Community Veteran

Whilst I dont agree with the fact that PN are promoting products which dont yet exist, I dont agree that it is a con. Sharp practice maybe but not a con.

Agreed, voted disagree
N/A

It's even more of a con to switch people onto this service without telling them.
Community Veteran

I agree its not a con if it's spelled out up front which it seems to be for new customers. Personally I think anyone that would signup to something knowing the cost difference and knowing there is no set time limit from when or if they will get 8 meg probably needs to reassess some of thier finances in general to put it mildly.

I'd agree with what revroger says though.

Chris
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

There must be some right mugs around or people with more money than sense.

No one knows when > 2 meg speeds will be available or if they will be able to get speeds higher than 2 meg on their lines. As for being front of the queue, what queue? It will be up to BT when they upgrade people and that will depend on when exchanges can handle the higher speeds.

What happens if people pay the higher rates to jump this so called queue then find in six months time their lines won't support speed higher than 2 meg, do they get a refund? I bet I know the answer to that question.

We give customers who want it an option to sign up for these products now so they are at the front of the queue when the faster speeds are made available.

It is however made clear at the time of signup that these speeds aren't available yet and for the meantime they will be on 2MB as long as their line can support it.
ctech500
Grafter

I'm sorry but Plusnet are out of order, all this guff about being first in line for 4/8MB upgrade is pretty dishonest really (reminds me of that George Cole Character or Delboy)

Have they got a deal with BT? or are they going to hold back all those customers have have 'down' graded in favour of those who still continue to pay the extra?
i hope not

If you are going to charge for a 4 or 8MB product then provide it. or do what more and ISP’s are doing and use LLU (you are never first in a BT queue)

Alternatively customers could sign up an interest in the fasters products in that way plusnet would know for sure how demand there is. In that way they could source it from other avenues if viable.
N/A

"Con" isn't too strong a word at all.

My account has recently been change to an 'up to 8Mb' account. I get charged the earth for the privelige. I only get 2Mb at the moment however, but I understand the reasons for this.

What I'm not happy with is the fact that I can get exactly the same speeds and conditions on an 'up to 2Mb account' for about half the price.

What exactly am I getting for the extra? Nothing. PN will continue to charge a huge markup for the account, and offer exactly the same as customers who are paying half. And you still maintain that 'con' is the wrong word to use?
N/A

And you still maintain that 'con' is the wrong word to use

It is however made clear at the time of signup that these speeds aren't available yet

Hence sharp practice and not a con. If that statement was not there then it would give some credence to the use of the word con.
N/A

My account has recently been change to an 'up to 8Mb'

his account was changed without his say so

It is however made clear at the time of signup that these speeds aren't available yet

so that doesn't apply really