cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP on Premier

N/A

VOIP on Premier

No wonder Vonage on PlusNet was less than perfect...

http://myvoipspeed.visualware.com/uk/index.html
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

VOIP on Premier

I have just got simular results, bit they do not correspond with other speeds tests that I have done recently.

Chilly
N/A

VOIP on Premier

I have just got simular results, bit they do not correspond with other speeds tests that I have done recently.

I think it's because this test runs over voip ports; whereas the normal speed tests run over port 80...?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

VOIP on Premier

VOIP is Titanium unless the Ellacoyas don't recognise it as VOIP which will mean on BB+ and Premier it will go in to Silver. When I ran it on PAYG (all traffic Gold or better) I got speeds which were about 40-50% lower than results given by speedtest.net, Thinkbroadband and www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk. I think it's results should be taken with a very, very large pinch of salt!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

VOIP on Premier

I think it's results should be taken with a very, very large pinch of salt!

This one too?
http://www.testyourvoip.com

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

VOIP on Premier

Your score: 4.4
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

VOIP on Premier

Its possible that the way in which the Ellacoyas work, they do not see this as VOIP traffic.

As its a simulated VOIP stream, the Ellacoyas may not recognize it correctly, It smells like VOIP, its on the same posts as VOIP, but its not VOIP. Therefore it must be P2P disguised as VIOP, so lets put it in the `rust` queue.

Chilly
kwhawell
Grafter

VOIP on Premier

guys, is there anything I can do about voice quality on vonage? I've been told I should put my vonage adaptor in the DMZ, which I did, was also told to disable stateful packet inspection and other stuff that I think will potentially expose my pc and stuff through the router, it varies from day to day, does anyone know if the elocoia whatever you call them machines know about vonage and mark it for the right queue? I'm not up on ellocoyas or whatever they call them, I just know they're supposedly dead clever machines. can PN tell us if vonage is in the right queue? just so I can start trouble shooting it better,
thanks
N/A

VOIP on Premier

can PN tell us if vonage is in the right queue?

PN will tell you it is definitely in the right queue.

From my own experience of Vonage on a PlusNet connection: something wasn't right. Vonage event sent me out a brand new and different type of voip router/modem to try... all to no avail.
kwhawell
Grafter

VOIP on Premier

hmm, some days, like today, it's good, other times it's like you're talking down one of them phones you make out of a can and a string, and get bubbly sound and loads of lag delay and weirdness. when it gets that bad I hit recall, do hash 90 and dial up the land line and shove the cal over that, it's the only way.