cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMU utility is terrible

SiMania
Grafter

VMU utility is terrible

I've just had a look at the VMU tool, why does it only give the full day/week/months usage details and doesn't break it down to on-peak/off-peak? I got an email recently saying i'd been downloading over 30Gb at peak time yet don't have access to the figures to dispute this.

Surely if plusnet can see that I've allegedly used more than 30Gb/month off-pak then we should be able to ourselves via the VMU tool? Otherwise what is the point in having it?
28 REPLIES
N/A

VMU utility is terrible

PlusNet are currently going through the steps of development, to publish such information the VMBU tool
SiMania
Grafter

VMU utility is terrible

What does the B stand for ? Wink
SiMania
Grafter

VMU utility is terrible

Ok, to PlusNet, any idea when this will be ready? This week perhaps? I'd ideally like to see it before the end of my months usage so I can see whether I'm keeping within my limits.
N/A

VMU utility is terrible

There are two View My Usage tools.

One for Dialup users on the unmetered account types, called VMU.

The VMBU is the View My Broadband usage tool.
SiMania
Grafter

VMU utility is terrible

There are two View My Usage tools.

One for Dialup users on the unmetered account types, called VMU.

The VMBU is the View My Broadband usage tool.

Do you know if there's a timescale on it being released or were my predictions too optimistic?
N/A

VMU utility is terrible

I would say optomistic, as these things don't write themselves overnight.

However, I don't think there is a timescale.

One of the lessons PlusNet will have learnt from the past, is that releasing false expectations, tends to bite them hard.
SiMania
Grafter

VMU utility is terrible

Obviously it's there in some form, there's already a VMU tool and PlusNet can obviously work out that I'm d/l'ing over 30Gb a month, surely they've known about this for a few months now and can make the necessary changes? I'm not a programmer but I do work in IT service delivery and can see that something like this should be given a high prioirty, especially given the recent backlash of the 3 months in arrears fiasco.

Come on plusnet, sort it out.
N/A

VMU utility is terrible

Someone did say its not an easy thing to write. And then there is the testing part...
N/A

VMU utility is terrible

nichkk... your right it is indeed a difficult thing to implement, but they had a version ready for FUP, i believe they deployed it but it didnt work, sure it probabily needs modifications for SUP, and if the core code wasn's 2 buggy, then i dont see why we cant expect it in the not to distant future (less than 3 months is my guess. I dont think plusnet have a big development team, otherwise it wud be done by now)

Personally the way i'd do it is.

on a script run say hourly with cron.
1. recieve all the data from the switches/logs kept
2. update mysql database with all the usage figures for each individaul user.

on the usage script.
1. Retrieve usaga data from database
2. Do a few "on the fly calculations" calculations
3. Display the Results

i wud assume there going to be using PHP, whither they use mysql or not is a different matter, but my suspicion is the retrval for the data/logs for the INPUT is causing some issues. otherwise a few days of coding and some tweaking on setup shuda done it for a small development team.

I'm guessing the development methologies are also slowing things down :/
Community Veteran

VMU utility is terrible

Is there any news on this PN? I suspect its getting close to the time we will start seeing the next round of users targetted with the excesive usage emails.

At which time another round of these "if you are going to warn me, the least you could do is give me the tool to monitor it" type threads will appear.

It was being fast tracked last we heard.
N/A

VMU utility is terrible

Unlike new terms and conditions Wink

Can you imagine Ford announcing their latest model but then saying you can only drive it blindfold for the first couple of months and if you crash it's your fault.
N/A

VMU utility is terrible

I don't think it's fair that they limit peak time to 30gb and then quiet times at 100gb and then expect you to know exactly how much you've got.
If i had that tool i'd then be able to go upto around 29gb peak time a month and then i'd quiet down with the downloads during peak time...but now it's just stabbing in the dark.
I think they will purpesely keep the crappy tool for a while just so that they can filter out all the heavy users. I feel cheated because when I upgraded to plus premier, I was told over the phone that I could download as much as I want and when I want...a day or two later these stupid caps were introduced. The PN support guy i talked too blatantly knew this was going to happen and that's why I no longer trust PN support no further than I could throw them.
N/A

VMU utility is terrible

srae88 - you could put in a request to help them Smiley
SiMania
Grafter

VMU utility is terrible

Any update yet PN staff?

Or does anyone know of a tool (i don't mind paying for it) that will monitor my internet traffic then let me filter out off-peak time so I can stick to the 30Gb limit?

It's so frustrating.