cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMU gone mad

itchyfeet
Grafter

VMU gone mad

VMU is reporting I have used over 5Gb today, which is a lot more than my usual 200Mb max and I've been out all day Is there a problem with it or has someone hijacked my ADSL? (I'm on Broadband Plus)
I'm worried that I might end up traffic managed.
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

VMU gone mad

hmm mines gone whacky as well:

8am-4pm 50.57MB
4pm-m'night 42.32MB
Total 200.99MB

EDIT: oops just remembered it doesnt record from 12am till 8am
itchyfeet
Grafter

VMU gone mad

Your current speed is:

53.80kbps

EEK - I'm being managed!!! Help!
N/A

VMU gone mad

Yes, there are current problems with VMBU as covered in a recent Service Status e-mail, in the sticky post here, and in a number of other threads already posted.

readingroom, that speed may not necessarily be due to traffic management, it could be contention somewhere (BT or Plusnet) as it's peak time at the moment. Check out the pre-existing threads covering the issues and if you think you are being unfairly managed, raise a ticket Smiley
Community Veteran

VMU gone mad

lets no create any undue tickets before checking everything; if you have any speed problems then follow this post

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38563

take a not of all your results (post them here if you wish) and try using the https://faults.plus.net/

as for the vmu problem the current issue is affecting a minority of people and its showing a nil usage or a very low usage which is not what you are seeing
N/A

VMU gone mad

The VMBU usage is also showing over usage as you can see from the other threads Smiley The service status report just didn't mention this.

I certainly wasn't suggesting creating undue tickets, performing your own checks is a necessary step, but also, the ticketing system is there for a reason, if a user if having problems, they should use it Wink It's the only way that a paper trail of a problem exists and can be tracked.
N/A

VMU gone mad

Mine has gone mad, assiging 1.58gb per 8 hour block for Friday, Saturday, Sunday and the 1st part of Monday. I have not used this amount of data during the day. I'm rasing a ticket.
N/A

VMU gone mad

landk,

Plusnet are already more than aware of the situation and the problem. This problem is being worked on. Could I suggest that you wait until there is some news on this and it has been fixed, then if your usage figures havent gone back to what you have actually used by all means raise a ticket.

Regards,
N/A

VMU gone mad

Would have waited and rasied a ticket when it was clear if the service status mentioned the problem I was having, or something close to it, but it mentions no usage or very low which is not what I had.

And using 1.58gb 10 slots in a row is clear evidence of a particular type of fault in the system, or should I start playing the lottery?
itchyfeet
Grafter

VMU gone mad

I've raised a ticket. Given that there is a problem with VMU, they should switch off the traffic management - I don't see why I should suffer from dial-up speeds because Plus.net has messed up.

[Edit: changed language slightly (to be a bit less course)]
itchyfeet
Grafter

VMU gone mad

It is worth raising a ticket, as Plus.net aren't aware of the problem. Here is the response I got:

"he VMU is currently working fine , As such this should be correct.
If you think this is incorrect it coud be an issue with either a viru or maybe even people connecting to your wireless network should you have a wireless network."
N/A

VMU gone mad

readingroom,

You need to remember you have the reply from CSC and not the development team. At the moment there is soo much going on that CSC are missing out and not getting all the information on time.

The development team know about the problem as I have been informed by the comms team.

The VMBU tool shows everything as normal over at Plusnet for some reason but not outside ( us ).

I am almost certain I have got this right and am almost certain this is what was mentioned somewhere else.

Regards,
itchyfeet
Grafter

VMU gone mad

The VMBU tool shows everything as normal over at Plusnet for some reason but not outside ( us ).

If that were the case, I wouldn't be traffic managed would I?
itchyfeet
Grafter

VMU gone mad

(very sheepish) just had a thought it might be my fault. I'm a linux newbie and I was messing with crontab yesterday. I've just turned the offending machine off and will have to see what its done tomorrow. If thats the case its really annoying as I've exceeded my useage in 24 hours and am now stuffed for the rest of the month. At least I'm not on PAYG.
N/A

VMU gone mad

readingroom i'd raise and ask why ur going so slow. U shud be mailed if ur on management No mail shud mean no management ahs been applied.

unless mail is borked.

Anyway Raise and ask