cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMU Peak Times Confusion

N/A

VMU Peak Times Confusion

Hi all,
If any of you could be so kind as to try and clear up some small points for me concering the new VMU peak times that have suddenly appeared since I last looked around Xmas (or thereabouts...Mind like a sieve at the best of times on things like this!).

Last time I looked at the VMU, we had peak and we had off-peak. That, I got. You got throttled if you done over 100Gb at any time, 30Gb during peak hours, or if you tripped over the 20Gb for ftp/p2p/usenet. Now, I go check the VMU tool, to find two peak times. 8am - 4pm, and 4pm - midnight.

I've searched these forums and can't find any posts on this. I've checked the help section, to find nothing in there about the change either. I've also checked the announcements, and went through the service status stuff to even see if it was in there. Nothing. No changes to this mentioned in the e-mails I get automatically posted to me.

So......Can anyone enlighten me as to why this was done, and what's changed if anything? Is there new limits I have to watch out for? Will I get that dreaded e-mail warning me for overuse of the system? Any help on this is appreciated! Smiley

Cheerie,
Monty
5 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

VMU Peak Times Confusion

Hi there, this should help answer your question.
N/A

VMU Peak Times Confusion

Hi Ben,
Thanks for the ink, but I'd already been through that page. Sadly, it's not helped me in this.

I understand the peak hours (16:00 - 00:00), and the off peak hours (00:00 - 8:00)....It's this other peak total that's suddenly (at least to me!) appeared in the VMU (8:00 - 16:00).

I'm just confused as to why the split in peak hours total into two totals instead of the previous single total. What's changed, if anything? Smiley

Cheerie,
Monty
Community Veteran

VMU Peak Times Confusion

The are now 2 peak periods and which one applied depends on the traffic type.

The SUP (which includes all traffic) has a peak time of 4pm -> midnight.

The P2P/UseNet/FTP peak time is 8am -> midnight. This is explained in the link given above.

The VMBU has recently been split into the 2 peak period. For your SUP peak usage you use the 4pm->midnight figure, for P2P etc, you add both peak periods together to give you your total traffic for that period but it can only be a guide to your actal P2P etc usage.

The VMBU has not beed designed very well and is causing too much confusion because it does not actually give you the necessary info to work out how much P2P/UseNet/FTP traffic you have used. Whoever thought it up did not really understand what users wanted from it.
N/A

VMU Peak Times Confusion

I think the two different weekly usage amounts that you can get is also a little odd.

If I view my weekly usage...I'm doing this from memory now as the view my usage page is timing out....then I see the week as Monday - Sunday with my usage that week.

However, if I view the usage summary that shows me all the weeks in my billing period, a week is from the first day of my billing period and runs for 7 days. The mounts of usage are different. This seems a slightly odd way of doing things...

Also, what is the amount of peak time usage allowed now? I received an email today informing me that the peak time management had been removed from my account. However, I wasn't aware that any had been applied, and I only used ~1.4GB peak time last month (can't check exact figures...see above)?

Cheers,
Steve
N/A

VMU Peak Times Confusion

Thanks for the reply Peter. You're quite right in that the new VMU readout isn't clear as to what it's displaying. I understood everything in the link provided, but since there was no direct correlation to what the VMU was displaying, I was not quite getting why those two peak times were displayed there.

Although I now know what I'm looking at, I still feel that it could have been made a little clearer on the VMU page itself.

As for what Daydreamnation was saying, I knew that originally, the ftp/p2p/usenet traffic limit was a start to end of month affair before it flipped, seperate to your monthly bandwidth allowance, but I thought that this was changed recently, so that all bandwidth allowances were timed to reset along with your billing. Who knows now? lol Smiley

So much for Pathos. Wink

Cheerie,
Monty