cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMU Changed

N/A

VMU Changed

I've just looked at View my Usage and noticed instead of the previous 'peak' vs. 'off-peak' categories, there's now '8am-4pm', '4pm-midnight', and 'total'.

What's the purpose of this?

Has the definition of 'peak usage' changed (i thought peak was 4pm-midnight)?

Cheers
27 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

VMU Changed

Peak (in respect of SUP) is 4PM - Midnight.
Usenet/FTP/P2P is measured from 8AM - Midnight, so the 8AM - 4PM is designed to give you a guide (it includes HTTP etc.) to your usage during that time.
N/A

VMU Changed

So, are you saying my peak allowance (30gig on 2meg premiere) is used up by ALL traffic from 4pm-midnight, PLUS p2p+usenet+ftp traffic from 8am-midnight?
N/A

VMU Changed

No. General usage (i.e. everything) peak time is 4pm-midnight. So the 30GB applies between 4pm to midnight.

Usenet/P2P/FTP peak time is 8am-midnight. During this time, you will use up your 20GB allowance.
N/A

VMU Changed

20Gb allowance? wtf?!?! so PN now restrict p2p/usenet/ftp to only 20gig between 8am-midnight? or have i missed something?
N/A

VMU Changed

20GbHuh!!!!
Somebody tell me that's not true!!!
And if it is why haven't we been told?
Community Veteran

VMU Changed

You can still download more than 20GB of P2P/Usenet/FTP between 8am and midnight, but it will happen at a much reduced speed, and the more you download, the slower it gets. Midnight to 8am have no restrictions on usage.

The vision statement in the announcements forum explains about the new P2P/Usenet/FTP download figures.
shellsong
Grafter

VMU Changed

Up to 20GB at up to line speed
20 to25GB at up to 512K
25 to 30GB at up to 256K
30 to 35Gb at up to 128K
35GB+ at up to 64k
(if memory serves me correctly Wink -- I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong! Shockedops: )
N/A

VMU Changed

and the more you download, the slower it gets.

So if I go over 20gig p2p between 8am-midnight, is it just p2p that gets throttled, or all traffic? Also, does full speed return come midnight?
N/A

VMU Changed

Yes, I've just read this in another thread
I'll start off with the SUP, and I'll use the figures for the £21.99 account, as this is what most people will be on.

The SUP means that between the hours of 4pm and Midnight you can transfer 30gb of data a month, and this can be on any protocol. The SUP also means that in total, at any time of day, you can transfer 100gb of traffic.

You then have Clean To, which says that between the hours of 8am and Midnight you can transfer 20gb of p2p/ftp/nntp traffic at full speed, and it then starts to slow down. All of this data is also included in the SUP above, as either peak time usage or total usage, depending on when it is transfered.

Why wasn't everyone informed as this by e-mail as IMHO it constitutes a substantial change to the product I chose (way back in July 2005) and as someone else so put it so well '..you bought a horse and they sold you a donkey..'
My dissatisfaction with the way PN treats it's customers grows daily - roll on July when I can leave without penalty as I was foolish enough to opt for a 12 month contract.
N/A

VMU Changed

and the more you download, the slower it gets.

So if I go over 20gig p2p between 8am-midnight, is it just p2p that gets throttled, or all traffic? Also, does full speed return come midnight?

If you exceed the 20GB allowance for usenet/P2P/FTP then your speeds for those three things will be reduced.

Speed returns to standard line speed between midnight and 8am.
N/A

VMU Changed

Many thanks for all the info.

IMHO this is a fantastic idea, however once again PN have spoilt it all by thier complete inability to communicate and utter lack of respect to customers. Once again I've had to find this out by pro-activly asking questions on the forums. Like jgh4319 said, this is something we should have been emailed about and given the opportunity of penalty-free contract get-out.

So much for the (paraphrased) "we promise to be as open as possible towards our customers in the future "... never trust a PN exec...
shellsong
Grafter

VMU Changed

Yes Cinders, after midnight you can run home from the ball in your raggedy clothes and one slipper to a nice bowl of gruel! Cheesy
N/A

VMU Changed

I agree we SHOULD be given the option of a penalty free get out - or are PN afraid that too many would leave (no doubt the ubiquitous 1% :roll: )
The product now bears NO resemblance to that purchased.
We SHOULD have been informed openly instead of information being hidden away
JonathanW
Grafter

VMU Changed

Information about this hasn't been hidden away at all. When it was first announced back on December the 7th it was posted to these forums, to service status and to the website itself. Whilst this means that it wasn't comunicated to every single customer it does mean that those most likely to see it were those that it would probably have most impact on. As the average usage on Premier in total is 11gb, which is far bellow the clean threshold for p2p/nntp/usenet on a £21.99 Premier account.