cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMBU knackered already?

N/A

VMBU knackered already?

My vmbu is showing 0kb of data transfer for Saturday 16th. If we have to have this new meter, perhaps it would be best if it worked?

Mark
22 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

VMBU knackered already?

Hi Mark,

There is a problem with VMBU at the moment, the problem itself has been fixed and most data before Saturday has now caught up, we expect the rest of the data to catch up quite quickly. We'll post an update to status as soon as it's up to date.
N/A

VMBU knackered already?

Hello Dave,

Cannot say I'm very happy with the new VMBU Tool as its reporting data throughput on services I dont even use? like P2P I literally NEVER EVER use so how come the tool says I'm using this?? Doesnt strike me as very accurate.

OK I accept the data reported for email & http fine I have no problem with those but not happy that I'm told I've used P2P when I clearly never use it ever. How to you account for that??

Ivan
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

VMBU knackered already?

Hi Ivan,

I've been testing out the new VMBU for nearly a month and been looking at this because I've seen traffic on mine for things I haven't used. It's never very much (I think over the last 2 weeks doesn't show more than a few KB), but does show a bit of usage.

I set up a syslog to record exactly what traffic was being used on my connection and over the course of the day I'd get quite a few hits from random background noise, pings and probes, random port scans and worms as well as bits and pieces of gaming traffic and P2P trying to connect to me.

It all bounced off my firewall because it was just random stuff, but the data is still counted. For example, I had a few hits on port 21 which would have been counted as the few KB's of FTP I saw. There were hits on port 7777 which will have been recorded as gaming (someone trying to connect to an Unreal Tournament server). Sam with some of the other things. As I say, if the numbers are low then that's likely all it is.

The other catagory will include pretty much anything else not listed seperately such as DNS requests and other network services, chat (MSN, IRC, ICQ, etc.) and encrypted things like SSH, VPN and remote desktop.
N/A

VMBU knackered already?

Dave.

Not caught up from yesterday yet and not a sausage for today either!

I also queried the background noise like Ivan (http://portal.f9.net.uk/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6953), but some of mine is in 100's of kb and not just the odd few.

Mark
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

VMBU knackered already?

I think it's just about caught up with the 14th and the 15th is being processed now, it's quicker than real time at processing so it should catch up today and tomorrow.

Regarding the background noise, over 2 weeks some of mine was a couple of hundred KB's. It's been reset so I can't see them all now, but I've got 114.79KB of Broadband phonecalls listed when I haven't used VoIP but this does seem to tally with the syslog.
N/A

VMBU knackered already?

But Dave, p2p (which I have never ever used) is showing on my account usage as 352kb over only 3 days. Multiply that by the month and that is a heck of a lot of background noise being generated!!! I still don't know what "other" is classed as either and there is 394kb of that over the same period!! In essence, at least 30mb per month of my BB+ usage is going to be from data not of my making, that is hardlt insignificant considering I hardly ever use over 1.5gb p/m..

What is this syslog malarky and would it be beneficial for me to set one up too? If so, how do I go about it and what would it tell me that this meter doesn't?

Regards

Mark
N/A

VMBU knackered already?

But Dave, p2p (which I have never ever used) is showing on my account usage as 352kb over only 3 days. Multiply that by the month and that is a heck of a lot of background noise being generated!!!

I think that at the end of the day this is a phenomenon that has always been happening, you just never knew about it.... the super duper new VMBU is now just allowing us to see it, which I think is a good thing..... if internet noise is using up my bandwidth then I want to know about it. Your 352kb over three days, even when extrapolated to a month is still not very much and isn't going to bust your limits.

I can see this will potentially give customer service a real headache with support calls though... from loads of people who just will never understand about background noise.

p.s. I still can't see the new VMBU, when will I get it?? I'm concerned that I'm still on the old SUP limits and peak times and I can't assess my usage accordingly.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

VMBU knackered already?

A couple of MB per day of background noise isn't unusual if the router's on all day. Mine probably averages around 5MB per day of random stuff bouncing off the firewall.

A syslog is just a piece of software/hardware that records events from another piece of hardware/software. In my case I have a Netgear router and I've set it up to record every piece of traffic that bounces off the firewall and send it to the syslog server. The syslog then just keeps a big CSV file with a list of all the traffic, what port it was on, where it came from, etc. The software I've got is called Kiwi Syslog Daemon.

It is quite amazing how much traffic bounces off your firewall. I think it averaged about 60 hits per hour across a whole range of ports from SSH and FTP to 135/139, 1024-1033 and some high up ones that might be used by gaming or VoIP.

Other is pretty much anything that isn't listed like DNS, ping and tracert, and instant messaging, as well as things like VPN or SSH.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

VMBU knackered already?

p.s. I still can't see the new VMBU, when will I get it?? I'm concerned that I'm still on the old SUP limits and peak times and I can't assess my usage accordingly.

It should have/will switch over at the same time as the product refresh, which should have happened/will happen on your first billing date after 31st March. If you haven't been billed yet this month then you'll still be on the old allowances and will still be seeing the old VMBU until your billing date.
N/A

VMBU knackered already?

It should have/will switch over at the same time as the product refresh, which should have happened/will happen on your first billing date after 31st March. If you haven't been billed yet this month then you'll still be on the old allowances and will still be seeing the old VMBU until your billing date.

I was billed on the 11th April (and I was the pest who had to chase up my MAX upgrade because I had somehow been "missed").... Seems I have been missed for the VMBU too, so now I really don't know what usage limits and peak times apply to me.

Surely I can't be the only one being missed.... you must have massive groups of people who are being forgotten about, but not complaining because they are unaware of the changes.

Is it simply because I'm on a discontinued product? (ADSL Home) Should you not be changing me over to Premier option 3? (since that's what I'm paying for)... or do I need to formally request that?

(Don't do it if the answer is yes, because I'm currently considering chnging to a different product anyway).... I may downgrade to option 1, or I may upgrade to a Buisiness product because the upload speed is really what I want more than the download speed. This is to improve my VPN virtual desktop performance when I'm connecting to my home PC from work.
N/A

VMBU knackered already?

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply & OK I understand what your saying. It was (is) abit alarming to see data recorded to services/protocols that I havent directly used myself but granted the data usage is very small (yes! a few KB). Your explanation does make entire sense I just hadnt thought of that angle on the issue. Wont be worrying about it any more unless it gets out of hand i.e. more than just a few KB. Thanks Ivan
N/A

VMBU knackered already?

Still nothing for Saturday or Sunday, very low usage (1mb) reported on Friday. It's taking a long time to "catch up"!!

Unable to check service status as the page won't load.

Ho hum

Mark
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

VMBU knackered already?

Is it simply because I'm on a discontinued product? (ADSL Home) Should you not be changing me over to Premier option 3? (since that's what I'm paying for)... or do I need to formally request that?

It could be because it's an older product, I hadn't thought about that. I'll ask and get back to you tomorrow, but certainly won't do anything to your account.
N/A

VMBU knackered already?

So today my VMBU page shows 78.4Mb of data transfer off peak! My router was switched off at about 2100 last night and not turned on again until 1530 this afternoon. All I have done is download a Firefox update which was done in peak time. What the bl**dy hell is going on??

Mark