cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMBU...it lies!!!

N/A

VMBU...it lies!!!

Take a look at the following screenshot showing my VMBU stats.

Now look closely at the NetLimiter chart.

Something doesnt add up quite right....

+net reckon that I used 478Mb over Saturday on the peak times.

Now if you add up the figures from Netlimiter which ran on the only box I had connected to my router (NOT Wireless!), it shows 354Mb even if I round up the decimal places. Thats a difference of over 124Mb.....almost 1/4 of the useage reported by +net!!!!!

+net...something stinks here.....are we seeing another botched job by our "favourite" ISP with regards to the traffic monitoring or is something more sinister afoot?

Moderators note by chris (fa55dsl): All caps title removed, this is considered rude and shouting.
42 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

VMBU...it lies!!!

Hi,

Could it be more likely that a few minutes of usage either just before 4pm or just after midnight has been included in the peak time. VMBU can be a few minutes out either side because of how the data is processed so if you started downloading dead on midnight (or stopped dead on 4pm) then it only needs about 7 minutes of 2Mbps speeds (less than 3 minutes at 6Mbps) to add on 100MB (remember that 1MB=1000KB and 1KB=1000 bytes and there will be a small amount of background traffic not counted by NetLimiter, but included by VMBU).
N/A

VMBU...it lies!!!

While I appreciate what you are saying, I set out to specifically test the VMBU and the woefully inaccurate figures that it has been reporting. Having received the email warning me about nearing Level 1 "Management", I have set out on a quest to prove that the VMBU reports inaccurate figures, not just some of the time, but most of it!

The tests I carried out were a combination of online gaming traffic, VOIP, web browsing, very limited p2p (which NEVER hits 2Mb/sec!) and some RDP connections to the office. At no point during these tests did the connection max out at 200k/sec, having been throttled and limited again by Netlimiter.

Not for one second can anyone suggest that 100Mb+ of traffic over an 8 hour period could be classed as "background traffic" without facing deserved ridicule.

I'd like to see some results from other users to determine if there is an underlying issue with VMBU (which we all suspect anyway!)
N/A

VMBU...it lies!!!

Yep same here, I had a 2mb difference from the old VMBU status from the new vmbu
N/A

VMBU

This is just silly... so a user can expect upto around 100mb of data to be added to the peak time as a result of your system being a few minutes out either side.

how about adjusting your system so its not at the detriment of the user and the peak time allowance.

if this happened each day a user could add approx 2.8gb to their peak time allowance..

VMBU can be a few minutes out either side because of how the data is processed so if you started downloading dead on midnight (or stopped dead on 4pm) then it only needs about 7 minutes of 2Mbps speeds (less than 3 minutes at 6Mbps) to add on 100MB
N/A

VMBU...it lies!!!

Not for one second can anyone suggest that 100Mb+ of traffic over an 8 hour period could be classed as "background traffic" without facing deserved ridicule.

I'd like to see some results from other users to determine if there is an underlying issue with VMBU (which we all suspect anyway!)

I've just checked my figures for this month.

30 MB 'other', and all I did was set up an 18nc ping for a couple of days, and spend five minutes on terminal server.

My stats, before Max I could only receive a max of 1 mb/s, now it is sometimes double that, but I don't download or upload any more.

How could I have used 3 GB of web browsing since 18th May?

From 30th March to 18th April I used 5.74GB and from
18 Apr - 17 May 7.25GB.

I was away from 1st to 10th of May and was maxed in that period, but my stats are consistant. This month it seems that I must be able to get a full 8 mb/s, although my realtime download speed (through various ftp sites) never reaches over 300 kb/s and usually is no faster than before.

In fact I've tried to cut my usage because I'm afraid of having my ftp cut off. I need it as well as web and email.

But I don't use 3 GB surfing mostly text sites in two weeks. even if most of it is listed as off-peak!

Peak usage Off-peak usage Total usage
Web 497.38MB 2.55GB 3.05GB
Email 127.09MB 78MB 205.09MB
Broadband phonecalls 17.93KB 0.71KB 18.64KB
Gaming 2.21MB 335.96KB 2.55MB
Streaming 466.22KB 43.7KB 509.92KB
PlusNet FTP 0KB 0KB 0KB
Peer-to-peer 667.66KB 417.31KB 1.09MB
Usenet 0.21KB 0KB 0.21KB
FTP (non PlusNet) 3.93GB 5.94GB 9.87GB
Other 17.8MB 12.21MB 30MB
Total usage so far 4.58GB 8.58GB 13.16GB
Nocturne
Grafter

VMBU...it lies!!!

VMBU can be a few minutes out either side because of how the data is processed

With respect Dave I indicated in my post yesterday, which you kindly responded to, that I had approx 75 Mb of usage that should have been allocated to Free usage allocated to Paid usage the previous day.
If this is a question of the overlap then the first 22 minutes of my usage after midnight was involved.

I have subsequently added reference to the same situation on the 31st May / 1st June.
If this same logic applies, 180 Mb of usage over the first 45 minutes after midnight also appears to have been allocated as Paid usage for the previous day.

Unless this is another issue it appears the time scale is rather more than a few minutes.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Re: VMBU

how about adjusting your system so its not at the detriment of the user and the peak time allowance.

It can also work in the opposite way, for example if usage between 0:00 and 0:10 was included in the previous day's paid usage, then usage between 8:00 and 8:10 would likely be included in that day's free usage instead.

In the long run it will balance out, but the CBC data just can't be accurate to the minute.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

VMBU...it lies!!!

30 MB 'other', and all I did was set up an 18nc ping for a couple of days, and spend five minutes on terminal server.

"Other" will include anything that isn't listed seperately, so will include network traffic like DNS as well as ping and tracert. It will also include instant messaging like MSN or IRC and encrypted traffic like RDP and VPN.

How could I have used 3 GB of web browsing since 18th May?

The "Web" figure will include any transfers over HTTP and HTTPS not just surfing, so any downloads over HTTP (Windows/OS updates, file downloads, some video clips, etc.) will all be counted under Web.
ceridwen
Grafter

It can also work in the opposite way, for example if usage between 0:00 and 0:10 was included in the previous day's paid usage, then usage between 8:00 and 8:10 would likely be included in that day's free usage instead.

In the long run it will balance out,

As has been pointed out in other threads, that is simply not true. Someone on reading that usage between 0:00 and 8:00 is free, could setup a timed download to start at 0:01 and stop at 7:59. In that (not untypical case), it will not balance out.

the CBC data just can't be accurate to the minute.

I'm sorry but that isn't good enough - you advetise that usage between 0:00 and 8:00 is free. If you charge for usage within that time, whatever the reason, you are in breach of trade descriptions! Imagine the outcry if BT offered cheap rate calls after 6pm, but then charged customers peak time rates until 6:30!

Matthew
Fixes: 117

In the long run it will balance out, but the CBC data just can't be accurate to the minute.

It maybe will balance out if the user actually uses his connection at just after midnight and just after 4pm. But for those who are still at work at 4pm or simply not using it there is no 'balancing out'. How will you correct for this?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Nocturne
Grafter

VMBU...it lies!!!

In the long run it will balance out

You have made this suggestion before in other threads and you continue to ignore the way some people use the internet.

If you have roughly the same pattern of usage from midnight through to some time after 8 am then it may well balance out and some users may be quite happy with that.
Like most others they will be unaware it is even happening.

There are other situations, as has already been pointed out in this and other threads, where it obviously does not apply.

I have repeated my figures from RPTG above and do not accept that significant usage can appear in the previous days Paid For Usage and not correctly in Free Usage.

Over the last couple of weeks I have had approximately 838 Mb of usage incorrectly allocated to my Paid For Usage. This is a very high percentage of the 2 Gb which I pre-pay for each month.

If this is official Plusnet Policy and Practice it most certainly hasn't been made clear to me nor I suspect anyone else.

Plusnet should clarify officially what the situation is and not let users believe that Free Usage between certain hours is Free, whereas in practice the situation for some, if not many of them, is very different.
N/A

Imagine the outcry if BT offered cheap rate calls after 6pm, but then charged customers peak time rates until 6:30!

Mathew, I agree; there is a discrepancy with the broadband usage used and what Plusnet charge their customers: skimming by any other name. Sad
N/A

VMBU...it lies!!!

VMBU stats appear to be very fluid these days.
Yesterday ( the last day of my billing cycle) they were reporting I had used around 850MB of 'Paid for'.
Today they are reporting that last months usage was 341.78MB 'Paid for'
+net needs to get a grip on it's systems, especially those that are used for billing purposes
N/A

VMBU...it lies!!!

If this is official Plusnet Policy and Practice it most certainly hasn't been made clear to me nor I suspect others.

Plusnet should clarify officially what the situation is and not let users believe that Free Usage between certain hours is Free, whereas in practice the situation for some, if not many of them, is very different.

Yes, come on Plusnet either make it official or leave it dangling in order for the conspiracy theory to gain momentum! Wink